Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2015, 02:44 PM   #1

1972 27' Overlander
Sandpoint , Idaho
Our Electrical Horror, and it still works '72 Land Yacht

Our Electrical Horror, and it still works Thinking about replacing the converter with a PowerMax PM4B-60 and the 9 fuse panel from Best Converter.

Anyone want to take a stab at what has been modified here?

How about this yellow wire? Any idea what it is?

The battery is just dead weight, and the wrong size to boot. Also looks like the wrong cable ends. What is this supposed to look like?

Not sure who thought this was a good idea, but it has to go. Anyone use a receptacle on the trailer with a detachable extension cord on these older Airstreams? Pictures?
spencerhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:06 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Alliance , Ohio
I wouldn't apply power to that Univolt again. A person only has so much luck in one lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
mehes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
A: don't use the Univolt.. .but you know that.
B: where is the yellow wire? Looks like the photo is taken from outside through a compartment door.
C. The battery is apparently a group 24. Nothing really wrong with that terminal connection. Clean them up and use them. But when replacing the battery, check to see if a Group 27, or 29 will fit in the space. I think that is what the original was. More capacity in the larger batteries.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Shocking!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:58 PM   #5

1972 27' Overlander
Sandpoint , Idaho
Hate to break it to you fellas, but that Univolt still works just fine. If the shower valve had not frozen up I would never have found the Univolt mess. We noticed the condition of the Univolt when we pulled the shower valve. Hell it's plugged in right now while I'm working on the shower valve. :-) Do I feel real comfy, not really. But on the plus side it is raining outside.

The yellow wire is in the compartment next to the battery, little forward and up commonly referred to as the "Trunk".
Old 12-21-2015, 07:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Hmmm, yellow wire... is there a pump already installed and working? The only thing that comes to mind is a wire to a (missing) pump.

The original Univolt is working, you said in the original post. What we are saying is that we would not trust it... grin.

Isin't working on the Airstream in the rain fun. I love the sound, especially if I am warm and dry.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:11 PM   #7

1972 27' Overlander
Sandpoint , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Hmmm, yellow wire... is there a pump already installed and working? The only thing that comes to mind is a wire to a (missing) pump.

The original Univolt is working, you said in the original post. What we are saying is that we would not trust it... grin.

Isin't working on the Airstream in the rain fun. I love the sound, especially if I am warm and dry.
Yeah, the new power converter and fuse panel is on the way.

There is a pump under the sink, not sure if it works. We've used this thing hooked up to city water and power only. We were told the water tank was not in good working order so we have not used it yet.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Sure looks like the original install by A$ to me.
Good call in replacing it and the fuse panel.
You might want to give the 120 volt distribution panel a good look as well.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:20 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Danger Will Robinson! Danger!! There is between 500 and 600 Volts on those capacitors when the Univolt is working properly. They establish the regulation for the converter. I would shocked if there was any 12v output from the looks of the wires to the caps. It is worth replacing the Univolts just to get rid of the hum they make. When I replaced mine I re-used the fuse panel with the new PowerMax so I could keep the Amp meter in the control panel. But I have seen Univolt fuse panels where the rivets on the fuse holders were loose and not making a useable connection so it could be better to use an aftermarket fuse block. It looks like somebody cut the top of that Univolt open? Always watch where you stick your fingers when around electricity! I assume that everything electrical can hurt if touched in the wrong way! The connections to the battery are factory and are probably OK to re-use. Leland
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I'll bet the yellow wire originally powered a hatch light.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:22 PM   #11

1972 27' Overlander
Sandpoint , Idaho
The new PowerMax PM4B-60 and the 9 fuse panel from Best Converter are installed and working just fine. I installed a standard 110v outlet next to the converter to plug it in.
No more hum and I think we shed 25 or so pounds. What, if anything do folks do to make sure the converter does not get wet from the shower? Do I need to install a plastic sheet over the converter?
Old 12-29-2015, 12:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you cover the converter make sure there is plenty of room for air flow. It needs to dissipate the heat generated in the conversion process.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote