Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
Ok 4 6 volt golf batterys in series or >>

Should I keep my two deep cycle 12 volts?
I have four(NEW) 6 volt golf kart batteries from a golf kart I have access to would it be more of a hassle to set these up for my trailer or keep the two 12 volt deep cycle batteries I have . I know I would have longer power with the golf Kart batteries but I would have to build a box for venting for them and I would have to modify the current batteries access area .

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
I think you just answered your ? ,is it worth it to you? Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

That is a tough call...........

It depends on how you will be using the camper, and when. Boondocking for two weeks, in a cold climate, might warrant 4 batts. There is another option. Put the batts in the tow vehicle, and make a connector to your trailer plug. Then you could decide whether to bring them or not , depending on your trip plan. You would want a trailer batt cutoff switch,
when you are using the backup batts. A few of us on the forum have been doing that. Building a vented compartment and a new access door seems
like a lot of work. You have to be able to get at the batts to water them.
4 batts cost almost as much as a Jenny now. You could sell the batts and buy a honda generator.
Also , you would wire 4 batts series-parallell
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
24 volts?

Four six volt batteries in series will give you 24 volts.

Years ago I had a similar set up. Four 6is volt golf cart batts wired in a series parallel circuit to give 12 volt service.

The problem with this kind of set up is that batteries do not age at the same time and so the charger stops charging when it thinks the weakest battery is charged. I that battery's capacity has deteriorated to 50%, then even the healthy batteries only charge to 50%.

I ended up going back to two high capacity deep cell 12 volt batteries wired in parallel. Hope this helps! There are several threads on this subject.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:35 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop Rivet View Post
Four six volt batteries in series will give you 24 volts.

Years ago I had a similar set up. Four 6is volt golf cart batts wired in a series parallel circuit to give 12 volt service.

The problem with this kind of set up is that batteries do not age at the same time and so the charger stops charging when it thinks the weakest battery is charged. I that battery's capacity has deteriorated to 50%, then even the healthy batteries only charge to 50%.

I ended up going back to two high capacity deep cell 12 volt batteries wired in parallel. Hope this helps! There are several threads on this subject.

Sorry ment series parallel and the use the batterys as backup would work I changed out the plugs with some fork lift flat plugs I could lay the battery on tongue and plug them in that way.

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Old 05-28-2009, 08:20 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
I know the golf battery's were new three years ago and were charged full ,Then the motor went on the golf cart. But they have been sitting for that time period. What do you guys think should I even try to bring them back to life? I mean I could charge them and use the load tester I have or should I bother.

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Old 05-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcrowley View Post
I know the golf battery's were new three years ago and were charged full ,Then the motor went on the golf cart. But they have been sitting for that time period. What do you guys think should I even try to bring them back to life? I mean I could charge them and use the load tester I have or should I bother.
Keep your 2 12 volt batteries in service.

Have a couple of "cool ones."

Then think about the headaches and grief that you will be saving yourself, by not going with the series parallel setup.

As batteries age, they change internally. For you to "assume" that those 3 year old batteries are OK, is not very wise.

When you put just 2 batteries in series, that have even a little age, charge them with 12 to 14 volts and watch what happens. The voltages on those 2 batteries will not be the same. The higher voltage battery, quite well also over heated.

Also when batteries are in series, the group is no better than the weakest link.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:33 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Then think about the headaches and grief that you will be saving yourself, by not going with the series parallel setup.

As batteries age, they change internally. For you to "assume" that those 3 year old batteries are OK, is not very wise.

When you put just 2 batteries in series, that have even a little age, charge them with 12 to 14 volts and watch what happens. The voltages on those 2 batteries will not be the same. The higher voltage battery, quite well also over heated.

Also when batteries are in series, the group is no better than the weakest link.

Andy
Well I have decided not to got with the changing of batteries but I might go with back up batteries setup BUT first I want to test the strength of the batteries to make sure they are up to task. I will check fluid ,charge them and hook them up for a load test and see from there.

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Old 05-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We have used two gold cart batteries (in series) since the early 90's. We can dry camp for a bit over 4 days in cooler weather where we run the furnace at night, without running out of battery power. Granted, we do not camp with a bunch of extra electronics (tv, laptop, etc). We have the mid-level trojan brand of golf cart battery. When we traded in our old SOB trailer last Spring, the golf cart batteries were 13 years old and still going strong. Our current ones are just over a year old (still on a SOB trailer). Little Girl won't be ready for camping for a few years. Anyway, we have always been very happy with them.

I've been pondering what to do to increase battery capacity for when we do retire and hit the road with more electronics. The idea to keep a set of batteries in back of the tow vehicle sounds pretty good acutally.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:06 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Andy
Oh Andy I will have a nice Captain and Diet coke (only drink Beer when it is really hot and I perfer Guiness BUT anyway)and think about it but I really like the idea of spare batterys if I go on a long haul that might work better for me then renovatiing the trailer for a set of 4 heavy large batteries. The two 12 volt I have are year old so I dont plan on changing them out . Well since that question is answered I need to call you Andy and get those batterie boxs for my sovereign I will be giving you a call tomorrow about those.

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust

Tags
12 volt