Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Mercer Island , Washington
Angry Oh goodness, another Univolt thread

I just pulled the univolt out of my 73 ambassador and installed a new intellipower 9245 and a nice new DC fuse block. I took careful notes of what was connected to positive and negative and I have a problem.

With a fuse only in the number one fuse position (out of four Dc circuits), the other three circuits have between 13.6V and 1V of potential versus ground!!! I repeated the test by moving the fuse between circuits and got similar results.

Additional, I have to honkin (#8?)wires that were originally ground wires (one went to the front umbilical cord I think and the other is just a ground. these wires show about 4.5V of potential as well when not hooked up to anything!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream wiring.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	182577  
dcheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
OK, so I've solved a lot of issues in the last 24 hours. there were TWO issues causing weird voltage.

1. DUH, I needed to run a chassis ground from the body of the AS to the fuse block negative side
2. I have a dead short in the red thick wire that runs from the trailer tongue to power the jack and breakaway switch. I disconnected both the jack and the switch and from inside, under the gaucho it still dead shorts when I try to hook that wire up.

Any tips on changing/replacing this wire, i'm working at the curb at my house, so if its more than an hour job, i'm tempted to have the dealer do it for me.

Other than that, hurray, intellipower is rockin and rolling, putting out a smooth 13.6V when I don't have the shorted wire connected. Power from the car to the trailer through the charge line works too.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
OK, power is still good, now sorting out two more issues.

1. roadside front wing window blew out over the weekend and we had a torrential downpour. luckily, only a few drops of water got in before I could plastic it up. Sitting at dealership now while the get a window ordered in from JC
2. All the appliances work great (even the oven!), except our range top. it has four burners and they all work, but it has a central pilot tube system that puts a little flame out at each burner. 3 work, one does not Any tips on this? Is it possible to clean out the orifice or? Wondering if this is a common issue.