Old 04-14-2008, 12:53 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member
2008 16' International CCD
Boulder , Colorado
Issue update

Hi Folks,

Not trying to revive this thread, but rather just give an update.

To recap - In February I purchased a used Bambi. A few days later, the warranty expired, and a few days after that, the converter went out and had to be replaced. I came to this forum for advice and was encouraged to seek compensation from A/S or the converter manufacturer.

After many unsuccessful emails and phone calls to both companies (Airstream and Parallax) I also wrote a friendly letter requesting partial compensation on the grounds that the there were so few days (3) between the warranty expiration and the converter failure. Although the letters were sent in early March, surprisingly, I have, to date, received no response from Airstream. On the other hand, the converter manufacturer, Parallax, simply mailed me a form that included their warranty policy that stated they only cover the original owner.

So, the outcome wasn't what I had hoped for especially because I thought there would be a little flexibility with respect to warranty expiration dates (I didn't think 3 days would be an issue). Even so, I appreciate all the help and advice from the folks on this forum, and I may still follow through on the suggestion to write to an 'advice column' of an RV magazine. Honestly though, I'd much rather just be camping. :-)

Boulder, CO

bocotim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:57 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon

Hi, bocotim; The ultimate answer may be NO!, but you will never get anything unless you try. Happy camping.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:25 AM   #45
Rivet Master
1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Well, it seems to me that this is all useful information, because it instructs us as consumers. No doubt Parallax was entirely withing its rights. SO, if we have a choice between a vendor that MIGHT step up to the plate and Parallax (that we KNOW will stick to legalities), the choice ought to be pretty simple. And we all have choices. Appreciate your update. And glad the Bambi didn't get toasted.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:23 PM   #46
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I'm sorry that Airstream hasn't answered and know that wasn't what any of us here expected. I, too, am disappointed in Paralax's hard line approach. But, the answer would have been the same had you not sent the letters to them.

Again, it is disappointing that Airstream didn't even answer, but I guess that is a sad commentary on the state of affairs in today's business world: Give less customer support and expect more customer loyalty. Where is the logic. Seems some folks need to go back to business school and/or re-evaluate those expensive MBA's they are so proud of. Good old horse sense and on-the-job-training always proves better than the theoretical jargon they teach in college. My opinion of my college education is that it was just prep-school for my real education...the one I'm still working on: on-the-job-training after 20+ years. That's the real Master's degree.

2006 30' Safari - "Changes in Latitudes"
2008 F-250 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab SWB
Family of Disney Fanatics
WBCCI# 4821
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote