Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2016, 06:35 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Sag Harbor , New York
Novice - Attaching battery

Just bought a 72 ambassador. Didn't come with a battery. Just got it, tried to hook it up, sparked, no lights go on. Looks like a fuse blew (tube fuses). I can't find a Battery Disconnect switch. It's got an old univolt, but as far as any switches or lights to show it is on or off, I don't see anything near the battery. There is one switch next to the toilet with a light but I think it is for the water pump? does that make sense? If someone has some basic instructions on how to just get it up and running, I'm all ears.
thanks
SagStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
You don't give us enough information for a detailed answer, but here's some very basic battery hookup advice.

Be sure you know which is the positive cable and which is the negative, and don't try to hook them up backward. Positive and negative poles on the battery should be clearly marked. You should be able to find where the negative cable is connected directly to the trailer's metal frame, if you can't identify it otherwise.

Always, always hook up the positive side first. That way if your tool accidentally touches the metal frame of the vehicle, nothing happens. The same logic says to disconnect the negative terminal first when you're taking the battery out.

If you're going to work on the DC wiring, disconnect the negative battery terminal and remove power from the univolt. 12-volt DC isn't enough to hurt you, but it can start a fire if you accidentally short something out, not to mention nasty surprises.

As to your blown fuse, something has caused too much current to flow through that particular circuit. Might be a wiring error, short due to insulation rubbed off against metal while one the road, wires chewed by critters, who knows? If I were you, I'd leave the fuse blown until I had been able to install a battery. That should isolate the bad circuit until you can find the trouble.

If you don't own a volt/ohm meter, get one. Find an affordable balance between high-priced professional quality and cheap junk. Some of us here can talk you through using it to troubleshoot your trailer's wiring.

And, best of luck with your new Airstream!
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:23 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks. As embarrassing as it was, I had the battery hooked up pos to neg. Rookie mistake. I replaced the fuse and the lights and 8track are up and running.
SagStream is offline   Reply With Quote