Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Nothing works without outside power ???

Hello to all in the AS forums. I have been preping our AS for summer for the first time ( for us, that is). So far all systems appear to work as they should when plugged in to outside power. Reefer works on elec. and propane. Water system works OK. Haven't managed to get the water heater to work yet but working on it. All ( or most ) of the interior lighting works. Have to replace a few bulbs though. One thing seems to be amiss. Yesterday I unplugged the power cord and tried to use a few lights on the batteries and nothing. All systems seem OK while plugged in but all seem to not work from the batteries. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm not sure where to find the power converter in the 31' side bathroom unit. I thought it would be under the closet floor near the water pump, but no luck there. Ours is a 1985 model Excella.

Hope someone out there in has some input here.
Thanks to all.
Roger
polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
sounds like my problem a few weeks ago...
was a simple solenoid that was stuck. fixed it by taking it apart and cleaning it. also bought a new one for ~50 in case it ever happens again.
this is the part (my be different on an older unit) but will give you an idea
Intellitec - Battery Disconnect Solenoid # 01-00055-002:eBay Motors (item 160335172316 end time May-21-09 05:48:12 PDT)
ericwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Hello to all in the AS forums. I have been preping our AS for summer for the first time ( for us, that is). So far all systems appear to work as they should when plugged in to outside power. Reefer works on elec. and propane. Water system works OK. Haven't managed to get the water heater to work yet but working on it. All ( or most ) of the interior lighting works. Have to replace a few bulbs though. One thing seems to be amiss. Yesterday I unplugged the power cord and tried to use a few lights on the batteries and nothing. All systems seem OK while plugged in but all seem to not work from the batteries. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm not sure where to find the power converter in the 31' side bathroom unit. I thought it would be under the closet floor near the water pump, but no luck there. Ours is a 1985 model Excella.

Hope someone out there in has some input here.
Thanks to all.
Roger
Aren't the batteries and the converter in the front behind the gaucho? That is where they are/were on my 80. Are the batteries charged up? If you have lights when on shore power then your converter is working at least partially.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Yes, Wahoonic, the batteries are in the front with access from the outside. I haven't explored below the couch but that may be where it is. I will look further. Thank you for responding.

Eric, Is that solenoid located on or near the converter ???? Once I find it if it 's there I'll take a look at it and troubleshoot it to see if it's failed.
Thanks for your input.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Pointing to the obvious, are your batteries in good shape? Have you checked each one with a volt meter?

Check the fuses in the Battery circuits, in the fuse panel...are they OK?

Do you have a 'battery switch' that's in the 'Off' position?

I know these are basic things to check for, but something to look at...good luck!
Old 05-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #6
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hello Mexray. The battery condition is a grey area. They are not new but I have not yet checked closely. The overhead panel indicates "GOOD". I will check them farther. The power jack was working when I left it yesterday. That's no measure of their condition but it tells me that they had some charge. The battery switch is ON. I have to locate fuses to check their condition. I didn't see any fuses in the panel, only wires and connections. I'll look a little deeper I may have missed them. Thanx
Old 05-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I would say off hand that if these are service type(with caps you can take off and add distilled water) batteries they may be dry and shot' If they are non-service they are probably shot. Take em out and take them to Auto-Zone or some auto parts store in your area, and have them load tested.They usually don't charge for that service. I my self have a load tester. But thats me.I'm really lucky.my wife allows me to have almost every tool know to man,LOL.
Just a couple more ideas for you to chew on.
Good Luck
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
You've got a puzzler here...the only other thing I can think of is to unplug your AC shore power cord, then check the overhead panel's Battery indicator again - if it's still GOOD, that should mean your batteries are online and available to power your lights, water pump, etc...
Old 05-18-2009, 07:19 AM   #9
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thanks all for your valued opinions. I keep the AS about 10 miles away at my sons house. I'll try and get there later today and do some more exploring and try to figure things out. I welcome all the responses. They have given me more avenues to go down in hopes of solving this problem. Then on to the next one, I'm sure

Thanks to you all.

Roger
Old 05-22-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Well, got around the checking the volatage at the batteries today. Very low. I thank you all for your responses and sharing your knowledge. I will replace the batteries than go on from there. With a bit of luck that will remedy this issue then I can go on to the next. Which looks to be brakes.

Thanks again to all. Keep it up.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:59 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Well, got around the checking the volatage at the batteries today. Very low. I thank you all for your responses and sharing your knowledge. I will replace the batteries than go on from there. With a bit of luck that will remedy this issue then I can go on to the next. Which looks to be brakes.

Thanks again to all. Keep it up.

Can you believe such a "help desk" available to you, with so many people willing and able to provide such good information?? All new learning curves should have this available!