Old 07-28-2006, 06:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Unhappy No Power from Battery

My 71 International has a new marine battery. No lights or fans are operating with the old or new battery. I have power to fixtures when it's plugged into the truck or 120V.

I have checked fuses in my converter and the breakers for my 120 power. I also tested the cables down line from the battery and I have power on my volt meter.

Any suggestions on where to check next. I'm stumped!!!

Thanks, and Cheers

John Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Check to see if you have a battery cut off switch located somewhere around that battery box. This is used when the trailer is parked for extended periods when you are not camping so the battery will not drain down on you.

Chaplain Kent
1994 30' Excella 1000, Chummy III- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:40 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
No turn off switch. The only thing in that area is the polarity light.
John Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:38 PM   #4
Retired Moderator
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
look for a fuse on the negative wire from the battery.

you call them ferrets, i call them weasels.
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Corpus Christi , Texas
I believe there is a government regulation that requires a breaker on the negative cable from the battery to the distribution panel. My last SOB trailer had one hidden under the bed. Almost impossible to find. IF I remember correctly, the breaker is supposed to be within 3 feet of the battery. Follow the negative cable from battery to distribution panel. If there is anything on the cable, it is likely a breaker and it is likely to have tripped. Good Luck.
So Long!
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 12:02 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
John, I have a 1970 Overlander which might have similar wiring. The power from the battery goes directly to the converter through a 40 amps fuse on the fuse panel inside the converter. On the schematic this fuse is listed as"d" and Trailer Battery+. The negative wire from the battery goes to the same fuse panel in the converter terminal listed as k, which is one end of the shunt resistor and the other end "h" should go to front connector and ground. The shunt resistor has two smaller wire going to the ammeter on the control panel. If you would like a schematic let me know.

Live and LET live
FrenchBern is offline   Reply With Quote