Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2005, 05:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

No interior lights

I recently purchased my first Airstream, a 1971 18' Caravel, and I am brand new to travel trailers in general. I charged the battery and installed it but I still have no interior lights, what am I missing? Another note, the battery sparked a bit when I hooked it up so even with the breakers switched off it seems there is a draw from something. But nothing works. I am no electrcian, any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
java71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 05:58 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

p.s. - All of the fuses appear to be intact. I blew one 40 amp when messing with the battery but replaced it and the rest seem okay.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I'm not sure if it was required in the 70's, but today, it is required to have a circuit breaker located along the hot lead from the battery to the 12v panel. You may have tripped this circuit breaker. On my previous SOB, that circuit breaker was hidden under the bed!
Old 06-18-2005, 06:13 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
hooked up backwards?

Are you sure you hooked up the + and - terminals to the correct posts on the battery?
There is a 50 amp fuse to ground also on these trailers, you may have blown that one, or it could just be one of the main fuses having a bad connection, try gently moving them around a bit in their holders.
Do you still have the Univolt or other charging device installed? If it is still a Univolt, you can plug the trailer into 120 volts and listen for a humming noise.
If it is not in the system anymore, you most likely won't have lights, either, since everything in that year went through the fuse panel in the Univolt.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:47 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

The trailer has a red battery wire and a white one, I assumed red was positive. I do have the Univolt, it has two 40 amp fuses and a series of 20 amp fuses. I've now blown the a 40 amp in the same location twice when connecting or disconnecting the battery - does that mean the other 40 amp is likely not connected properly? No other fuses have blown. Also, where is the 50 amp fuse to ground located, I don't see that one in the Univolt or on the schematic...
Old 06-19-2005, 06:10 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by java71
The trailer has a red battery wire and a white one, I assumed red was positive. I do have the Univolt, it has two 40 amp fuses and a series of 20 amp fuses. I've now blown the a 40 amp in the same location twice when connecting or disconnecting the battery - does that mean the other 40 amp is likely not connected properly? No other fuses have blown. Also, where is the 50 amp fuse to ground located, I don't see that one in the Univolt or on the schematic...
I hate to be vague, but the ground fuse was usually located somewhere on the inside wall of the coach, between thebattery and Univolt. I am concerned that by merely hooking up the battery you are blowing a fuse, that should not be happening. Check your polarity, as it is possibly why the fuse is blowing. If that polarity is correct, you have a serious load on somewhere that is blowing the fuse.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tacoma , Washington
Send a message via Skype™ to purdytj
I see that this is an old thread, but I did a search because of similar problems.

> When I plug the trailer into my pickup, the lighting generally works well - interior and exterior. I rewired the round pin plug to a new modern 7-pin flat spade plug. The trailer lights (running lamps, turn signals, brakes) work that are not blown. The previous owner did something to the reverse lights, because the 4 round lamps in the rear operate as brake lights and turn signals. The interior house lights (hallway, living room, bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, control panel backlights) work that aren't burned out.

> I connected the AC plug into shore power (after unplugging the tow vehicle) and nothing worked. I may have messed up: I put a car battery charger on the battery, which sparked a bit, then blew the fuse at the Univolt (1 - Car Battery [pos] & Circuit No. 5 according to the 1974 Airstream Service Manual).

> I bought a new 12 volt battery and connected it as well, which also sparked a bit, then blew another fuse at the Univolt (2 - Trailer Battery + [pos]).

> I'm going to buy and try new fuses soon, but I'm concerned: How can I isolate the circuit that is shorted if I'm blowing the main fuses?!? I have not yet connected the tow vehicle again to see if things are working, which I may try.

Any help is appreciated for this newbie.
Sincerely, T.J.

RIP (https://purdygreatlife.weebly.com/2014-blog):
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 QC-LB 4x4 12-valve
1974 Airstream Sovereign
purdytj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tacoma , Washington
Send a message via Skype™ to purdytj
I forgot to include this painful question - Is my univolt dead?

RIP (https://purdygreatlife.weebly.com/2014-blog):
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 QC-LB 4x4 12-valve
1974 Airstream Sovereign
purdytj is offline   Reply With Quote