Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2008, 08:50 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Portola , California
no converter hum

Yesterday, while the wife hosted a baby shower, I took refuge in our 1999 19' Bambi. I turned on the A/C and relaxed for a couple of hours. When I turned the A/C and radio off, and went to leave the trailer, I noticed that the familiar hum coming from the converter was no longer there. The converter switch near the door was still on. I checked all four of the fuses (all good), checked all in the breaker box (all on). Today, still hooked to shore power, I took the battery leads off of the battery, to see if any voltage was coming from the trailer (converter). There was nothing. Should I have had the converter switch off when hooked up to shore power and running the A/C for a couple of hours? The manual says nothing about that. What have I done wrong??? Does anyone know where the converter would be located in my Bambi? Any ideas or suggestions would be more than welcome.
ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Portola , California
relief.......

Problem solved. I fooled with the main circuit breaker.... that I had checked before, several times. It seemed to stay in the fully up position better than it had before. And now the converter hum is back. Great relief from someone who is not an electrician.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
I cannot help you with the converter location, but when you find it, check the 115 VAC power going in. If it is there, disconnect the output wiring from one side, and if you do not have the old ferroresonant buzzing sound, then your converter is bad. The best solution is to replace the old boat anchor with a new 3-stage converter, like a WFCO or Parralax. There are lots of threads about these. If you are electronically talented, you can fix the old one usually by replacing the internal capacitors, for about $12. It all depends on your talents and budget.
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:53 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
I guess I type too slowly!
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Portola , California
Sander17: Thank you very much for the information and advice. If my converter ever does fail, I will do as you suggest, and get a new 3-stage converter.