Old 01-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

No battery power

I'm having trouble getting battery power to my '99 Excella. Everything works fine when on shore power or tow vehicle power but when not otherwise connected everything is dead. Even the indicators on the test panel are dead. The batteries show full voltage when checked with a volt meter. If the on-off switch is bad and not turning on, would shore and tow power still work? I hate to tow it 70 miles to the closest Airstream dealer only to find out the problem is something simple. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 01-25-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Fuses come to mind first - have you checked them?

You could use your volt meter to see if you have voltage at the fuse panel with the battery switch in the ON position, to see if the switch is connecting properly...

Ray

Old 01-25-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Also, you might check the battery terminal connections; and clean them, if necessary. Just like a car or truck, they can build up corrosion, which can limit the current flow.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

I did check the fuse panel. It seems that their is no voltage to it. Would shore and tow power still work if this switch is defective? I was considering that a bad switch might be the culprit.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 22' Flying Cloud
1969 25' Tradewind
1983 34' Limited
fairview , New Mexico
Like Pheonix said check connections at battery terminals
Old 01-25-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallybyam View Post
I did check the fuse panel. It seems that their is no voltage to it. Would shore and tow power still work if this switch is defective? I was considering that a bad switch might be the culprit.
i believe that a bad switch could do that. if the switch internal contacts are corroded, operating the switch a few times might get you a connection. if it then works, you still need to replace the switch. and just for fun, make sure "on" is on and not "off".
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:26 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Drummond Island , Michigan
With a DC voltmeter or test light check the for power in the DC fuse panel at the Red wire attached to a 50A fuse and the Black wire attached to a 50A fuse. These are the positive and negative wires coming from the battery to the panel. If the test light does not light or slightly more than 12 volts isn't indicated on the voltmeter. Bridge the switch with a jumper wire and check for voltage again. If you have power the switch is bad. If you do not have power I would suspect a faulty ground becuase you said everything worked when hooked up to the tow vehicle. Wiggle Black wires and check connections to the battery and the negative connections in the panel. That is the simple test. If you don't find a simple fix take it to the tech and let them figure it out. 12 volts with a lot of amps can produce a lot of heat quickly and you do not want to fry wiring or start a fire.