Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2015, 02:10 PM   #1
Out on a Whim

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Kentwood , Louisiana
Question No AC power when on batteries - 2013 27FB

I never could find an AC outlet with power when running on batteries. Is this an inverter problem? I am under warranty but don't want to drive 100 miles to the dealer. Does this model have an AC plug on an inverter?
jrswann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
An Inverter can be added as a factory option or some owners put in an aftermarket one. The factory option (which I have on my 2012 EB) is a small inverter - that only delivers AC power to two outlets that are reserved for inverter power.

If you are the original owner and haven't added one that is big enough to be wired into all of the outlets, and don't have the factory one, no A/C power on battery is simply normal.

On mine, the inverter control is in the kitchen - next to a solar panel which recharges the batteries - and the outlets - one in the bedroom, one in the living room.

Some people carry a small generator Honda 1000, which will run a coffee pot, toaster or other small resistance elements.

Paula
Old 03-02-2015, 02:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Are you talking about a regular duplex plug or the cigarette light type plug?
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
You need to first verify that you have an inverter on board. Not all AS' do. It is an option and yours may not have one. If you do have the factory inverter option, you will only have a few outlets hooked up to the inverter. Usually one will be by the television and there may be one by the DVD player if you have one and also near the dining table somewhere. They should be marked with a sticker that says "inverter."

The factory inverter unit itself is usually mounted up front near the batteries. On my 27 foot FB unit, it was under the bed near the head of the bed.

The factory inverter is not hooked up to all the AC outlets. Only higher-end after-market inverters will be set up to power all the AC outlets in the trailer.

If you do not have an inverter, then you will not get AC from your batteries.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
The factory option uses a regular looking ac plug, but the face plate blanks out 1 of the outlets so there's only one per location. My inverter plugs are each directly below the ac ones.

Look near your tank sensors for the inverter control - you have to turn it ON with a slide switch. No control, no inverter.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:09 PM   #6
Out on a Whim

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Kentwood , Louisiana
Thanks to all. I don't have any inverter switches or plugs marked as inverter supplied... so sounds like I don't have one. Since every sales person said I did have one, I will contact my dealer and go from there.
jrswann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
If you have one, you'll have outlets identified as specifically for that purpose and a grey push button switch on the wall near your kitchen sink to press when on battery power for those specific outlets.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
The dealer might hhave been confusing converters and inverters ... not the same beasts. Virtually all RVs has a converters that powers your rig when plugged into shore power, charges your batteries and coverts 110 to 12v ... but not all have inverters built in...inverters go the other direction...from 12v to 110. Ours has a sfactory inverter that we like having for the convenience, but it's only 200w, which is enough for small non-heat-generating-appliances, TV, laptops, homes, etc. You can get more bank from an after market inverter, or use a portable one for charging electronics.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
The dealer might hhave been confusing converters and inverters ... not the same beasts. Virtually all RVs has a converters that powers your rig when plugged into shore power, charges your batteries and coverts 110 to 12v ... but not all have inverters built in...inverters go the other direction...from 12v to 110. Ours has a sfactory inverter that we like having for the convenience, but it's only 200w, which is enough for small non-heat-generating-appliances, TV, laptops, homes, etc. You can get more bank from an after market inverter, or use a portable one for charging electronics.
TB has it absolutely right.

Frankly I have used my inverter exactly ONE time in the past year and a half. I used it to charge my cell phone when someone stole the 30 amp cord and we had no other power. I've heard people say "how do I watch TV" or "how do I make coffee" without AC electric. Well, I read using a Kindle to READ, and I boil water on the gas burner then use a pour over coffee filter to make one perfectly fresh cup at a time.

Inverters SUCK your batteries down if you use any resistance element (heat producing appliance) on that current. Not a good thing especially if you don't have a generator or solar to recharge the batteries.

May I ask what your planned uses are? There are almost always alternatives. A few friends are shocked that I don't have a crock pot - they use theirs 3 - 4 times a week. I have a cast iron Dutch oven that can work as a slow cooker - or a bread oven, or even a frying surface.

Happy Trails, Paula
Old 03-03-2015, 10:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
The dealer might have been confusing converters and inverters ... not the same beasts. Virtually all RVs have a converter that powers your rig when plugged into shore power, charges your batteries, and coverts 110 to 12v ... but not all have inverters built in...inverters go the other direction...from 12v to 110. Ours has a factory inverter that we like having for the convenience, but it's only 200w, which is enough for small non-heat-generating-appliances, TV, laptops, phones, etc. You can get more bang from an after market inverter, or use a portable one for charging electronics.
Way too many typos in my last post (above)...just re-read it a dday later and, well...didn't want to leave anyone wondering what I was saying... so the above has been corrected here... Sorry about that. I'll try to type better.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:28 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Just a note about the shore line ac outlets with one set of plugs not available due to the plastic covering the openings.... Checking the outlet out of the wall (power off) you may find the electrical contacts exist and the slots for the blade of a plug can be cleverly opened so as to have a second plug connection. I did this to power television external speakers in my bedroom. Whether the blocked inverter powered outlets have this.....my guess is yes as the same outlets would no doubt be used by AS.

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote