Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Fulltiming , Out West
No AC power...?

We were sitting here with the airconditioner running when my wife plugged in her new fry pan 15 amps. Within 10 minutes we lost all ac power. All 3 breakers were o.k. but I cycled them just the same and we have ac power coming into the trailer from the line but no ac power IN the trailer...any ideas?
Bing-Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Only 3 breakers? My trailer is a lot smaller and older and I have 4. One main for everything and 3 separate circuits. I would double check the main and the one that feed the trailer again.

Sounds like it is time to get the volt meter out.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing-Bing View Post
We were sitting here with the airconditioner running when my wife plugged in her new fry pan 15 amps. Within 10 minutes we lost all ac power. All 3 breakers were o.k. but I cycled them just the same and we have ac power coming into the trailer from the line but no ac power IN the trailer...any ideas?
Gotta tell the wife that when she is in the Airstream that she "MUST" limit her power.

Her use of power drawing appliances when the AC is on, that is.

You should find a breaker popped, and the AC usually has it's own breaker.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:05 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Fulltiming , Out West
Thank you Andy and Richard but none of the 3 red and 1 green breakers were popped. I've switched them all off then on again and still nothing. The breakers snap tight both off and on so they seem o.k. I have a Trace inverter which seems to be working at keeping the batterys charged so is that picking up on the 110 shore power but nothing else is?...I will check the breakers with a meter in the morning. Andy are the Airstream breakers difficult to locate or would a napa store be able to order them?....
Old 05-17-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing-Bing View Post
Thank you Andy and Richard but none of the 3 red and 1 green breakers were popped. I've switched them all off then on again and still nothing. The breakers snap tight both off and on so they seem o.k. I have a Trace inverter which seems to be working at keeping the batterys charged so is that picking up on the 110 shore power but nothing else is?...I will check the breakers with a meter in the morning. Andy are the Airstream breakers difficult to locate or would a napa store be able to order them?....
NAPA stores are famous for auto parts, not household items such as city power circuit breakes.

Take one with you to Home Depot. They should be able to help you. If not, electrical supply houses can.

But always, take a breaker with you, as a sample.

If all those fail, a couple of Airstream old parts dealers can help.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
did yo push the gfci reset button on the breaker? if memory serves me correctly, the galley is on that line.

how do you know you have power to but not in the trailer?

did you check the breakers that the trailer is plugged into?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:28 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
My wife did the same thing with her hair dryer when the AC was running. In my case, I not only had to re set the breaker but also the gfci reset button on the breaker and one of the outlets.

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Fulltiming , Out West
I found my problem...it seems my Trace inverter has two 30 amp breakers that are small white buttons. One of these was popped out so I pushed it back in and I had 110 shore power again. Sooo even if your breakers look alright be sure to check your breaker on the inverter to see if it has popped. One of our members looked up Trace inverters last night on the internet read all 70 pages of text and called me this morning with the solution. Many thanks to Matt Worner...a real gentleman..........
Old 05-26-2009, 12:15 AM   #9

1987 31' Excella
Oak Harbor , Washington
Not able to use shore power

I have an AC power problem when I plug in to power it will blow the 25 amp braker even though i have all inside trailer brakers off and all electrical draw unpluged I checked the wires at RV cord junction box all is good did not see any traces of heat in the braker box also the system can charge my battery could this cause a draw that would trip a 25 amp fuse. (1986 model)
garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:39 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
I have an AC power problem when I plug in to power it will blow the 25 amp braker even though i have all inside trailer brakers off and all electrical draw unpluged I checked the wires at RV cord junction box all is good did not see any traces of heat in the braker box also the system can charge my battery could this cause a draw that would trip a 25 amp fuse. (1986 model)
What are you plugging into socket and can you try another plug in item and see if it will produce same problem?
Are you on 30 amp or 15 amp shore power?

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:07 AM   #11

1987 31' Excella
Oak Harbor , Washington
Talking Solved my problem

I am hooked to a 15 amp cord. I found the problem I took my trusty fluke ohm meter and started testing resistance of my trailer cord disconnected found that I had connection from (white wire) common to a (copper wire) ground at the 30amp trailer cord which indecated a short in the cord or circuit. So I tested the same at the breaker box in the trailer disconnected each common wire individually to find out which one it was. Which lead me to find it was a 120v outlet circuit took apart 4 outlets and found problem, ground was touching white common wire spread wires apart retested and reassembled works great now. This was troubling me for some time now. That $100 fluke meter has saved me thousands.
garrett is offline   Reply With Quote