Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #121
3 Rivet Member

Don, I spoke to Airstream support last Thursday at length about the ATS problems and my fix. I also emailed them more information plus the link to this discussion. They seemed to be interested but will not know for sure until they do something about it. I am sure it will not be a recall but at least those who have it fail could get an upgrade.

I would give them another call to ask specifically if they will provide an upgrade for the failing Parallax ATS instead of the third replacement. Perhaps if you supplied the new ATS they would at least put it in.

We had the trailer back in Breckenridge and I did the full test (electric hot water, electric refrigerator, A/C on high, lights, and yes my wife dried and curled her hair without an issue. No sudden loss of power or tripped breakers.

Have you been able to keep your trailer cool when in direct sunshine over 85 degrees? I did another test yesterday and with the trailer parked in the sun midday at about 87 degrees and it was blowing 58 degrees at the discharge but would never cool the trailer below 85 until the sun went behind the clouds and the outside temp dropped a bit. I spoke to Dometic and they had no real answers other than it appeared to be working correctly. For the life of me I can never remember the 1979 25’ not cooling regardless of conditions. This is very disappointing. I guess I will have them put a new 15,000 Dometic Brisk Air in hoping it will cool better and be a bit quieter. Is there less insulation in the new trailers? What about the aluminum inside skin would this have less insulation value than the old fiber board?
Old 07-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #122
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Yes fiber board would be slightly better than aluminum for insulation, but do we really want it? Not me.

There are also many more windows in the new trailers than the old ones, which become solar heaters (opposite of insulation) when in the sun. I like the new windows a lot.

This is quite a summer, never seen so much heat even here in north side of Minnesota. I wouldn't know who to blame for that.

doug k
Old 07-23-2012, 11:40 PM   #123
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Howard, I have an appointment in Dallas this Wednesday to replace the converter. Airstream sent the part (the dreaded Parallax). I had asked about an upgrade but no cigar. We'll see how #3 works.

On the a/c. Mine seems to be working ok. Some of the afternoons in Sedalia it was 104, but the inside was ok. The systems briefings at the international rally mentioned that the best you could expect with the 13,500 btu is about a 20 degree drop from the outside temp. I assume you have played with the different vents on the unit and have cleaned the two filters.

I'll post it if I head toward Denver. Keep in touch...Don
Old 07-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #124
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by donabston View Post

On the a/c. Mine seems to be working ok. Some of the afternoons in Sedalia it was 104, but the inside was ok. The systems briefings at the international rally mentioned that the best you could expect with the 13,500 btu is about a 20 degree drop from the outside temp. I assume you have played with the different vents on the unit and have cleaned the two filters.
Once again, mis-information, by folks that should know better!! Any RV air conditioner has nothing to do with the outside ambient air temperature! The performance specifications from every manufacturer state that a properly working roof unit will show an 18*F-22*F temperature drop at the cool air outlets when compared to the return air intake temps. This says nothing about the amount of temperature drop from inside to outside, which will be a function of unit cooling capacity (BTU), interior volume, insulation factors and amount of residual heating (sunshine) that you are exposed to in the trailer.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #125
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Thanks to all of you for posting this stuff. I've had my 2012 28' Intl since last November. Before I took it on its first trip I'd already read all of Lewster's comments on upgrades, and things he'd change. I did every single one of them from the inverter change out (to the IOTA), battery monitor, etc., etc. After reading Collimare's post, I ordered the Progressive Dynamics transfer switch...which I'll change out this weekend. AND, I was a bit irritated that the first time I tried running my 15000 BTU A/C and the factory installed microwave I blew a breaker (not the park's, the trailer's). I learned on my first long trip that I can't use the 110V water heater, fridge, and A/C at the same time. Gotta put the water heater on propane or it blows. My conclusion: it may SAY 30 amps, but it sure doesn't add up that way. I guess I could just stay home with my huge 250 amp service at home, right? I LOVE my new Airstream and I see it as my responsibility (opportunity?) to make it "my own" -- I have the tools and expertise to do this -- as many of you do. AND, I enjoy upgrading it anyway. Granted, I'm fortunate to have the financial resources to change out brand new wheels and tires (which I did), and to build more reliability and flexibility into my trailer. Would it have been nice if A/S had done all this for me? Sure. I've done upgrades to almost everything I own (except my cars)....guess it's both a hobby and passion. Thanks, though, to all of you for giving me an opportunity to change out stuff BEFORE I needed to.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
Old 07-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #126
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Some people need motor homes or fifth wheels, they have all you need. You would be very happy. An AS is what it is. Jim
Old 07-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #127
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
An AS is what it is. Jim
Funny that I thought the extra 20,000+ I spent for it over the competition was for a premium product. Not the same product with aluminum skins and slightly upgraded interior. The major components outside of the skins and upgraded interior are the same as all the others at near half the price.

"It is what it is", really? No wonder that the Airstream premium nature and quality has gone steadily downhill. Why is the general sentiment here to defend Airstream? I and other new owners have done nothing but address well documented quality and potential design problems. Yes, I have voiced my disappointment which I think $60,000 entitles me to. I would personally like to see the current Airstream live up to its colorful heritage. I am just asking for quality, reliability and a bit of the premium nature that I thought I bought. My 1979 25’ Airstream did, why is my 2012 at least the same if not better after 30+ years, but we all know that answer now don’t we.

When I am done with it, it will be what I thought I was buying, a premium product, that I can enjoy for years to come without worry of breaking down every trip.

If I had wanted an RV I would have bought one. The new 2012 Airstream is something I have dreamed and saved for since selling my 79 back in the late 80’s when the kids came along. Like others I will do what it takes to make it that “dream”.

"It is what it is”……….
Old 07-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #128
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
One seldom gets what one pays for in today's world. The sooner you figure this out the better you will feel. It s a maturation process. Just my opinion. Jim
Old 07-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #129
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Rising Fawn , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collimare

Funny that I thought the extra 20,000+ I spent for it over the competition was for a premium product. Not the same product with aluminum skins and slightly upgraded interior. The major components outside of the skins and upgraded interior are the same as all the others at near half the price.

"It is what it is", really? No wonder that the Airstream premium nature and quality has gone steadily downhill. Why is the general sentiment here to defend Airstream? I and other new owners have done nothing but address well documented quality and potential design problems. Yes, I have voiced my disappointment which I think $60,000 entitles me to. I would personally like to see the current Airstream live up to its colorful heritage. I am just asking for quality, reliability and a bit of the premium nature that I thought I bought. My 1979 25’ Airstream did, why is my 2012 at least the same if not better after 30+ years, but we all know that answer now don’t we.

When I am done with it, it will be what I thought I was buying, a premium product, that I can enjoy for years to come without worry of breaking down every trip.

If I had wanted an RV I would have bought one. The new 2012 Airstream is something I have dreamed and saved for since selling my 79 back in the late 80’s when the kids came along. Like others I will do what it takes to make it that “dream”.

"It is what it is”……….

I will also build my unit into the premium product I have dreamed of. Sure, it would be great if Airstream corrects all of the problems that it has when we get to Jackson Center in a few weeks. I certainly hope that they do. But if they don't...we still love our Airstream and wouldn't trade it for any number of those white boxes out there.
AIR #17143
TAC #G-15
Old 07-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #130
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I've stated this before in other threads, and I'll repeat it here, as it is very relevant. Working in the RV industry, especially around all of the super high-end motor homes gives me a unique perspective on what works, what doesn't and what the best components are for a given application. My engineering background allows me to quantitatively analyze these components and make what I believe are the best recommendations to my clients for component replacements when needed.

When I bought my new '06 19CCD, I utilized that knowledge to make the little Airstream into exactly what I wanted and immediately upgraded many of the existing components, even though they worked at the time. Did they work to my high standards.....NO. Did I have any problems with the trailer after I completed all of the modifications....NO again! The last thing I wanted to be doing was repairing components on my own trailer when on vacation, and I never did!

Things like 16" wheels and LT tires, total LED lighting, new IOTA converter, Lifeline batteries, 2 new Maxx Fans to replace the one Fantastic Vent and one dead vent, new ShurFlo electronic water pump with vibration isolation and braided stainless hoses to the PEX, New high-flo shower head, tankless RV-500 water heater, better cooling fans for the refer condenser, re-sealing the front pano windows to avoid their propensity to leak, removing the drain pan on the roof A/C and replacing it with the Dometic auxiliary drip kit, full awnings all around, exterior sun screens that let you see out in the daylight but block much of the entering heat and UV and a bunch of other exterior tweaks.

It was a great little trailer, and the new owner got a really nice unit that needed nothing done to it when he bought it. In fact, there really wasn't much you could do to it at that point!

The point I'm trying to make is that some folks are perfectly happy with an out-of-the-box new trailer from Airstream and others see the potential of these trailers and their flaws and shortcomings and re-make them to their specifications. Should Airstream offer these better, or best components for the price that they charge....YES! But if you're happy with these trailers right off the lot....that's fine also. As the saying goes.......YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY!
Old 07-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #131
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We've had one component failure in 18 months of travel with two new Airstreams, a converter that had been plugged in two years steady in the showroom before we bought it. Would it be sensible to ditch bunches of components based on that experience?

doug k
Old 07-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #132
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
One seldom gets what one pays for in today's world. The sooner you figure this out the better you will feel. It s a maturation process. Just my opinion. Jim
Not true at all for me, sad to see you feel your life is that way. The Airstream is what I wanted, just disappointed with all the issues. I will correct them and move on. Not much catches me by surprise, with the maturation process and all (been married 25 years, two kids in college, one 12 year old son, all still at home, own two medical companies, church, taking care of aging parents, you know just life) but the new Airstream sure did.

I just parked it at the little Clear Creek RV Park in Golden Colorado. Took my wife to early dinner in Golden at the new Indulge Bistro & Wine Bar. We had a wonderful dinner and great wine. So I said honey why don’t we walk the path by the creek a ways. We almost get down to the RV park and she says too bad we couldn’t be stopping in there. I laughed and said you know it is always full, no way. Got down to the end of the RV park and she said look is that one just like ours. I said not sure let’s take a closer look. As soon as I opened the gate off the path she started crying, then laughing and we had a wonderfully enchanting evening. I absolutely surprised her sandals off. This is life and we enjoy it to the fullest. We headed home later in the evening and plan on spending as much time as we can at the trailer, in between the kids and work, over the next week or maybe longer.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #133
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
The point I'm trying to make is that some folks are perfectly happy with an out-of-the-box new trailer from Airstream and others see the potential of these trailers and their flaws and shortcomings and re-make them to their specifications. Should Airstream offer these better, or best components for the price that they charge....YES! But if you're happy with these trailers right off the lot....that's fine also. As the saying goes.......YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY!

I could not agree more with your general comments but we are still not on the same page. There is a minimum expectation for a premium product, if one agrees that an Airstream is, that should be met. I am not talking about upgrading to personal desires here but simply correcting issues/deficiencies. If you don’t agree that the Airstream is a premium product or should be more than I point out, that is your level of expectation and I fully respect it, without reservation, as it is your hard earned money.

Maiden voyage home and I stop at a Wal-Mart in ID to sleep the night. I go back crawl on the twin bed and within minutes realize there is no way I can sleep on this rock hard surface. I go up laydown on the sofa section which I find way more comfortable than the mattress. Is the expectation that the mattress should be more comfortable than the foam sofa too much? I purchased new custom mattresses for it.

First trip with the family to AZ:

The bathroom sink does not drain fully because the drain flange is sitting up more than an 1/8” from the bottom recess. Is it too much to expect that the drain should be installed properly in the sink? Hopefully this will be fixed by the dealer next week.

I tried to drop the front dining table to put my 12 year old to bed and nearly took my knuckles off while straining my back trying to get it down. Then I realize you literally have to remove all the cushions to get the table down. In all of my previous trailers the dinette simply drops down into position without any resistance, contortions or having to remove all the cushions in the seating area to do so. The older Airstreams worked in the same way as well. Is this too much of an expectation? I bought factory material and had new cushions made that allow the bottom cushions to be slid back allowing the table to drop straight down and taller back cushions that drop in place.

In the night my son up front sleeping on the dinette is roasting and we are freezing in the bedroom. There is no insulation or seal off for that matter around the beds and between the exterior service doors on all three sides. The heat is not at all balanced in the trailer. I guess we need to put a fan upfront to blow toward the rear and look into sealing off and properly insulating the bed area. Is this too much of an expectation?

A few days into the stay my wife hollers out that the trailer is flooding as water fills up in the shower pan. I check the monitor again as I had been all along and it shows the grey tank at two green bars. Is it too much to expect that the monitor system should work on a brand new trailer? Hopefully this will be fixed by the dealer next week without cutting holes in the bottom tank cover or it won’t be done by Airstream. I am planning on having Timeless Travel Trailers install a new system in the not too distant future that will monitor the LPG tanks as well.

Second trip with the family to AZ this time for spring break:

I had the A/C on since earlier in the day and when it hits 85 outside it is also 85 inside the trailer with the AC on high, shades and curtains closed. Is it too much to expect the trailer to stay somewhat cool at 85 outside? Our last two trailers would. Plan is to upgrade to a new 15000 BriskAir, install Huper Optik tint on all the glass and coat the roof with Ceramiflex by Sealoflex a highly heat reflective and dissipating coating. If that does not work I may consider rewiring and installing the original 13500 in the bedroom. I do not want to own a trailer that I have to block all the windows with insulation or otherwise board it up to stay cool while on vacation.

Third trip to Tiger Run RV:

Gets hot outside so I turn the A/C on. Without warning the entire AC 110V on the trailer shuts off and I cannot get it to come back on. No breakers tripped anywhere. Had the RV park check the shore power box and everything was good but still no power. In desperation I post on the forum about my problem and what do you know others are having the same problem. Once I understood that the ATS switch had most likely failed I fixed it. Is it too much to expect that the trailer should not have a hard failure with the AC 110V system on our third trip or at all for that matter? I have already replaced the defective Parallax ATS with a more robust unit.

I come out to a flat after eating breakfast on our way back home from a trip cut short. I try to get the socket to go on the lugs and had to get a hammer to tap it onto the lug because the fake chrome caps on the lugs had already split open preventing the socket from going on cleanly. Is having quality lugs too high an expectation? I put new solid chrome lug nuts on all the wheels.

I get the spare tire down and one section of the sidewall has a hard ripple running from one side across the tread to the other side. Is it too much to expect that the tires should be of better quality at least for a premium product? My guess is the condition of the tire made it the spare instead of on the ground when it should have been a reject. I bought new Michelin tires to replace the cheap GYMs.

In general:

Why am I warned not to keep the trailer on shore power because the cheap bottom of the line single stage converter will constantly over charge the batteries. Is it too much to expect that it should have come with a slightly better converter in a premium product? I have replaced the Parallax converter with new 3 stage unit.

I could never figure out how to get the TV/DVD sound to come out the speakers till I spent a great deal of time researching the forums. Is it too much to expect that the AV system should actually work intuitively without having to do research? Why do I have to keep the cabinet door open (where I hit my head) to use the remote on the DVD player. Is it too much to expect that it should have come with an IR repeater? The whole AV system is an afterthought that I plan on completely replacing.

Why does the main flat panel TV not stay latched forcing me to by a whole length of Velcro to make a strap to keep it secure. Is that too much of an expectation to not have the TV flying around while on the road? Will have the dealer look at it next week but will keep the strap I made in place.

Why do I need to open the bathroom door, step back, duck way down low to use the stupid full length hinge up vanity cabinet? We don’t use it at all. All our other trailers had nice side to side sliding doors or double hinged mirrors allowing easy access and use. Is that too much too much of an expectation? I am looking into a replacement vanity cabinet.

Why did I need to go buy and install a winterizing kit on my new premium trailer when all my past cheap ones had it built in. Is this too much of an expectation?

Why do I not have gauges on the LPG tanks with a premium trailer? Maybe this is too much of an expectation. Bought aluminum tanks with gauges and electric sensors so they can be monitored at the new future panel.

I still don’t know what to do about the butter soft flooring in the trailer. It already looks worn with marks from the table leg, a couple of drops, scratches etc. Why would a premium wood laminate not be used in a premium trailer? I am just going to wait for a while and put all new flooring in. At the rate is it wearing probably not long.

There have been a few fixed leaks already. A very good reason to put the pink antifreeze in the lines as I check for leaks everywhere the next time I use it and they are there!

There are missing rivets, missing stick-on-rubber door cushions, screws coming out, some too short or installed wrong, just lots of little stuff…

I bought it unreserved and I have fully admitted “unprepared” with “dreamy” expectations of a premium trailer an “Airstream”. They are my expectations and perhaps I am totally alone with them, so be it. I am living with my purchase, fixing it where required, upgrading as desired.

I could not be more happy for those of you that have the good fortune of getting a defect and trouble free trailer that you just love or are willing to live with as is. My hats off to you, as I sincerely wish that had been my experience as well, and hope that it will continue to be.

I love the Airstream dream and will work on it till it is there. My wife is at the trailer this morning and I will head over for lunch in a bit. This is the dream and partly why we bought it. The other because I spent the first 6 years of my life living in my grandparents Airstream. Still fondly remembering and dreaming!

I have got to quit staying up so late!!!
Old 07-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #134
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Collimare, you've hated your Airstream from day one and will never be happy with it. You got what Airstream builds at the price they charge. We know it's not your idea of premium trailer because you remind us of it regularly (way too much).

Take it to a custom trailer builder and get the $20K or so upgrades you expect, then you can start complaining about them.

doug k
Old 07-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #135
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Collimare's story would certainly keep me from spending big bucks just to have something shiny behind my TV.
For those of you who have had the odd problem free A$. Good for you!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #136
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
buyers remorse.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #137
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Truth is, there are no problem-free Airstreams. Or anything else. But there is a balance of expectation to acceptance that we must have. Forums by their nature give a voice to and attract those who love to complain so we get more than our share of unhappy Airstream owners.

That's fine and we try to encourage and help them. Sometimes they take that as an opportunity to lash out at us who do. For my part I enjoy learning about the problems of Airstreams, and how to fix them. But why do we have to wade through these endless rants by such as Collimare to learn of a problem, how it has been solved, and help others.

Airstream builds what they build, and they cost what they cost. Get over it, make the best of it, or sell it. Many, perhaps most, of us are satisfied and have had good experiences.

doug k
Old 07-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #138
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Collimare, you've hated your Airstream from day one and will never be happy with it. You got what Airstream builds at the price they charge. We know it's not your idea of premium trailer because you remind us of it regularly (way too much).

Take it to a custom trailer builder and get the $20K or so upgrades you expect, then you can start complaining about them.

doug k
Doug, You are wrong again! I love our new Airstream, just disappointed! If I did not I would have sold it right off the bat and moved on. The loss would have been less than I have or will need to spend to fix the issues.

My name is right at the top of the post. If you don't like what I have to say then for heaven’s sake don’t read it. If all you have to say is a negative attack towards me then why waste your time posting. Have I done something personally to you? If so I am very sorry and would again ask that you don’t read my posts just in case I might offend you again. Howard
Old 07-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #139
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
No Howard, it's more than that.

People with or hoping for an Airstream read your rants and may believe the Airstream is unsafe to pull across town, much less camp in. Your rants are extreme and discouraging them from having the things they dream about and the travel experiences they wish for.

They also may believe they must go out and buy new components or suffer severe consequences. Not true, and it needlessly strains their budgets.

Be considerate.

doug k
Old 07-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #140
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by donabston View Post
Rumor is that it is cooler in Montana than Baton Rouge. Giddyup!
Who told you that ???
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
Closed Thread