Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #101
3 Rivet Member

Thanks Lew! Understood!

I did hear back from Airstream customer service at 11:30AM and without comment she told me to call Windish RV the local authorized dealer. I just spoke with the service department at Windish and Dave told me the first available appointment was July 30th. When I hesitated he said I better snap it up as it is the only one available that week.

No 30A power, no A/C and I can’t get it in for three weeks and then how long is it in for. We did have plans that also include meeting friends.

What now, do I call Airstream back, to what avail?

Take a few days off and take it somewhere else? Where, when and how long there?
Old 07-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Lew, I would like better components like, but not at a higher price. We admired the Eddie Bauer model when we shopped for the Airstream noting better tires, fabrics, floor coverings, the nifty rear hatch and stowaway furnishings. But about $10,000 more than our Flying Cloud. I shopped for trucks; accessories and upgrades can double the price.

Besides the fact that the dirty rats want to make money in their business, is it reasonable to expect (most) customers will spring for large price increases to get a trailer that looks and works exactly the same as what is offered but has high end components throughout. Would I ? Considering all is new, under warranty, and although this stuff has a higher failure rate some will survive as long as the "good" stuff, probably not.

When I die (if after my beautiful wife) I want the last check I write to bounce and all the crappy components in my Airstream to fail at once. Until then, hang in there, junk!

doug k

No one knows these things better than the guys who fix them. Lew, maybe you could put together some component upgrade packages of various levels, and offer it to us. I think there may be some interest in that ?
Old 07-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #103
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collimare View Post
Thanks Lew! Understood!

I did hear back from Airstream customer service at 11:30AM and without comment she told me to call Windish RV the local authorized dealer. I just spoke with the service department at Windish and Dave told me the first available appointment was July 30th. When I hesitated he said I better snap it up as it is the only one available that week.

No 30A power, no A/C and I can’t get it in for three weeks and then how long is it in for. We did have plans that also include meeting friends.

What now, do I call Airstream back, to what avail?

Take a few days off and take it somewhere else? Where, when and how long there?
I realize everyone has unique value priorities, so this would not be for everyone. My strategy though, will be to not rely on the AS warranty, or AS dealers (unless I get a huge leak). I absolutely don't want one inferior part replaced endlessly with the same inferior part, and have it take hundreds of dollars in gas, and weeks of our camping time. Dealer is 600 miles round trip. That's $370 in vehicle gas and depreciation for each trip.

I am going to search out a competent mechanic who is local. Someone who runs by the ethic "Do it once, do it right." I think I have enough analytical and engineering skills to determine what parts are inferior and what are superior. You don't have to be a genius to know that installing another Parallax ATS 301 is a waste of time and money, for instance. If I had to do that twice, like the fellow in Louisiana, I'd be out $500 in hard money and $250 in depreciation to replace a $79 part.

I love the "promising idea" that is embodied in an aerodynamic aluminum trailer. Now, I have to find ways to realize that promise. Obviously, I won't be able to count on the current makers, but will have to take the project on myself. I'll start today with ordering up my new Michelin LTX tires.

If you do stick with the AS merry-go-round of installing the same parts over and over, keep us posted.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #104
3 Rivet Member

Jim at IOTA suggested working with Master Tech to get the correct components to fix it right. I spoke to them and they were very knowledgeable and said if I have install questions, issues or problems they are an “immediate” phone call away. I have ordered the IOTA DLS-55/IQ4 as I was planning and a 30A ATS PD5110610V from Progressive Dynamics to replace the apparent failing ATS301 from Parallax. The comment from Master Tech was the ATS301 used "box relays" not an actual contactor and he felt it was of much lesser quality/robustness than the Progressive Dynamics. More interesting was that the shore power goes directly through the normally closed contacts on the ATS301. In order for it to fail the contacts would need to "burn up". That is why mine would work on the generator input as it was going on the normally open set of contacts.

So this will maintain the correct system ratings with significantly higher quality components. Like it should have in the first place. I am still researching which upgrade Air Conditioner unit to put in it.

I will do the work myself next weekend.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #105
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
30A ATS PD5110610V from Progressive Dynamics to replace the apparent failing ATS301 from Parallax.
The Parallax is around $79 retail. How much more was he Progressive Dynamics?
Old 07-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #106
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Don't k ow which 'Master Tech' you are dealing with but it is not me. I think that part of the ATS problem is that you are limiting your product search to 30 amp units.

The only ATS that I use is the 50 amp model from TRC Surgeguard. These are used in almost every high end bus that I work on and rarely fail. It is easy to use in 30 amp mode by bridging the 2 AC hot inputs as one and connecting the 30 amp hot from the power cord to that.

These units are US made and pretty bomb-proof. TRC also makes the best RV surge protector on the market.

I'll post the model number when I get back to my catalog.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #107
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy View Post
The Parallax is around $79 retail. How much more was he Progressive Dynamics?
Amazon.com: Progressive Dynamics PD5110610V 5100 Series 30 ...
Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more › ... › Power Inverters
$103.00 - In stock

Leave it to JC to opt out for $24.00

Bob
Old 07-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #108
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Amazon.com: Progressive Dynamics PD5110610V 5100 Series 30 ...
Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more › ... › Power Inverters
$103.00 - In stock

Leave it to JC to opt out for $24.00

Bob
That more or less confirms that for users to up-engineer their rigs is not always LOTS more money. Who wouldn't spend $24 more to have a nice reliable power switch?
Old 07-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #109
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Look into the the TRC/Surgeguard model 41260....50 amp transfer switch. This is the unit that I use most of the time, with the exception of their 41250 with integrated sure protection and power monitoring, which most of the luxury motor homes use.

MSRP is around $280, but this is a premium product that works!
Old 07-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #110
3 Rivet Member

The master tech referred to was mastertech-inc.com who are the recommended distributor for IOTA recommended to me by Jim at IOTA. I bought both components from them. My rational for sticking with the 30A ATS was to stay consistent with the basic design just improving the quality/robustness nothing more or less at this time. The DLS-55/IQ4 was $200 and I think the Progressive Dynamics ATS was $68. We discussed so much before I settled on that ATS so I am not totally sure on the price.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #111
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Look into the the TRC/Surgeguard model 41260....50 amp transfer switch. This is the unit that I use most of the time, with the exception of their 41250 with integrated sure protection and power monitoring, which most of the luxury motor homes use.

MSRP is around $280, but this is a premium product that works!
I can sure see why a MoHo might find ATS useful. For those with trailers who don't use gennies, would you suggest just removing it?

I think even if I had a gennie, I would rather use a manual switch.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #112
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy View Post
I can sure see why a MoHo might find ATS useful. For those with trailers who don't use gennies, would you suggest just removing it?

I think even if I had a gennie, I would rather use a manual switch.
IIRC, I mentioned just that scenario a few pages back. While it is a convenience in having a dual plug-in for a generator along with the shore cord, I would hard wire the shore cord directly into the breaker box and eliminate the extra plug-in and the transfer switch.

It's just not worth the possibility of catastrophic failure and being without 120VAC on hot day when you really want to use your A/C to deal with a cheaply constructed part that's prone to failure.

The longer extension cord for the bed-mounted genny will work first time.....every time when plugged into your shore cord.....no ATS required.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:31 AM   #113
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
IIRC, I mentioned just that scenario a few pages back. While it is a convenience in having a dual plug-in for a generator along with the shore cord, I would hard wire the shore cord directly into the breaker box and eliminate the extra plug-in and the transfer switch.

It's just not worth the possibility of catastrophic failure and being without 120VAC on hot day when you really want to use your A/C to deal with a cheaply constructed part that's prone to failure.

The longer extension cord for the bed-mounted genny will work first time.....every time when plugged into your shore cord.....no ATS required.
X2....

Thankfully we do not have the ATS.

Years back we did a lot more "hooked-up" camping.
Never a problem using the AS's 30' even with a 25' extension, if we flipped a breaker by mistake it was a simple matter of cutting usage and re-starting.

"That more or less confirms that for users to up-engineer their rigs is not always LOTS more money. Who wouldn't spend $24 more to have a nice reliable power switch?"

Don't remind me of all the base metal fasteners I replaced with stainless when we first got the AS......$18.00 at the local hardware store.

Bob
Old 07-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #114
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
kettering , northants
Talking

Hi All,
Maybe i'm not getting it.....
Why are Airstream making everything too technical, do you really need an auto transfer switch, are we all too lazy to change a plug from one mains outlet to a genny ? On my 73 overlander i have 1 cable which i plug into mains and if i i have not got mains i can plug into a genny, simple. at the end of the day a trailer moves, flexes and bounces around and hi-tech cheaply made mass produced crap is not suitable and costs 2 or 3 times as much in the long run. We have the same problems in the UK with the new Eu Airstreams, lots of them have had their batteries fried, floors delaminating, leaks, etc etc.. Its such a shame that a premium priced product with such an iconic history is being built with cheap components.
I really wonder what percentage of todays models will still be around in 40 or 50 years
Oh and one more thing, my 73 still has its original Armstrong A/C still going strong and it has a valve for re-gassing should it ever need it, and going by the weather in the UK this summer my kids grandchildren will still be using it
Old 07-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
... I also could not get the thin wall deep socket to go on the lugs. I was sure I put the right socket in the truck so proceeded to tap it on to the lug. Got the lug off but could not get it back out of the socket so I put it back on the stud and finally got it to come out. In looking at the lug nuts they are very cheap nuts with a pressed on fake chrome covering over the actual nut. All of the lugs showed some amount of splitting making it hard to get the socket on and the nut out. The new lug on the left is the same size as the defective one on the right just the camera angle trying to show the split...
Good move to replace; I share your concern as our lug nuts on the AS are the same as you show; unfortunately, the lugs on our expensive Jeeps (and other brands) are currently - and have for some time been using -the same style of covered lug nuts.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
Old 07-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Dodge has been using these cheaper lug nuts since at least 2002/03. I had to replace some recently on my '03 Ram...
Old 07-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #117
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Don't lug nuts have to meet some SAE standard of one kind or another?
Old 07-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #118
3 Rivet Member

I have replaced the Parallax ATS switch with the new PD5110610V and also replaced the cheap single stage Parallax controller with a new DLS55MW/IQ4 and all is now good. $67 for the ATS and $157 for the new controller.

I took the relay apart on the Parallax ATS switch and you can clearly see where the normally closed contact was burned in 2 spots. Mine failed twice before I headed home. The new ATS uses a heavy duty contactor with a potted control circuit not a cheap relay/circuit board.

SHAME ON AIRSTREAM!!!

Two more items now completed on my re-engineer/rebuild list for my new 2012 Airstream.

Soon I’ll have a real Airstream made with quality parts.

I know, I am sorry for my demeanor but after working for 4 hours to replace absolutely bottom of the line cheap-ass components used in a 60K premium product my ire is back up. It just makes me want to scream!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	163315   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	163316  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	163317  
Old 07-18-2012, 12:07 AM   #119
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Nice job Collimare. After the last two weeks home I'm heading northwest on a long trip. Will be stopping in the Dallas area to hook up with a new converter (3rd). We'll see. Whatever happens I'm going to follow your lead and harden my system, either with a manual switch, or a replacement like yours. So far, Airstream has been great in their help. Rumor is that it is cooler in Montana than Baton Rouge. Giddyup!
Old 07-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #120
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donabston View Post
Nice job Collimare. After the last two weeks home I'm heading northwest on a long trip. Will be stopping in the Dallas area to hook up with a new converter (3rd). We'll see. Whatever happens I'm going to follow your lead and harden my system, either with a manual switch, or a replacement like yours. So far, Airstream has been great in their help. Rumor is that it is cooler in Montana than Baton Rouge. Giddyup!
Don, You coming through Denver? You should really stay a couple of days at Tiger Run RV in Breckenridge. If you do give a shout when you are in town. Howard
Closed Thread