Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #81
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Careful about assumptions and conclusions with electrical systems. The ATS is probably faulty, but these things can fool you.

I remember a night (Johnston Atoll in the middle of the Pacific) when we were baffled blowing fuses every time we plugged power into our multi-million dollar premium fighter jet. The multi-meter showed no short, but it was powered by a small battery. Finally discovered a high resistance short in the power receptacle protection circuit that only shorted to ground when the higher voltage was applied. That solution (take out that protection circuit which has no purpose in flight, we are in the middle if nowhere) was only reached when we threw out the obvious.

This is a relatively new feature on Airstream. It seems to me we should not be guessing solutions, jigging up our own cures, adapting to 50 amp services. Airstream customer service is receptive to this sort of thing and will help you work out a proper solution. They have for me and others. At least give them a chance before thou start re-engineering your new trailer.

Most of us try to find the good in what we have, make the best of it. There are a handful here who pile onto every problem with incredible enthusiasm. Before you modify your Airstream on that advice, think about where its coming from. Especially if you are still under warranty.

doug k
I assume everyone here with an expensive trailer is an adult, don't you? Therefore, I assume adults know how to act in their own interests. I assume they are intelligent and know that posts on forums are personal opinions, not dictates, laws, or mandates. Don't you assume that too?

I further assume that adults know they are free to develop their own strategies in life, and that includes how to maintain their vehicles and RVs. I assume some will wait patiently for a manufacturer to understand their concerns and provide solutions, while others will take charge of their own destiny and act accordingly in their best interest. I assume some will find these things too difficult to deal with on their own, while others will investigate, learn, judge, decide, and act in their best interest. In short, everyone who is an adult here will find the solution that works best for their interests.

I would not disparage those who want to wait for their manufacturers to improve their products. Nor would I disparage those who have the savvy to learn a few new things, make judgments on their own, and take individual direct action to protect themselves and their families from spoiled vacations, or heaven forbid, catastrophic blowouts of new tires!

So to summarize and to be clear - when I speak here of taking direct individual action to remedy what I perceive as "problems" or "shortcomings" or even "defects" with my brand new trailer, I am doing it because it is in my best interest for me and my family - which I am obligated to protect. I do not assume that any other person takes (reads) my commentary and believes it is some kind of demand for them to do the same. That would be treating other adults as if they were children, or worse. That would be to assume they have no common sense, and need to be told what to do. That would be condescending. I don't do that. I always assume people buying and towing trailers are "adults" and I respect their individual intelligence to decide what actions are best for them. Don't you?
Old 07-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #82
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Mean Time Between Failures = MTBF
Old 07-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
MTBOI = Make The Best Of It

doug k
Old 07-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Hmmmm, things that make you want to go Hmmm
Old 07-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #85
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
While reading this thread camping , our trailer lost power. At the time of failure we were using the AC, had microwave plugged in but not running, refrig on electric,and the water heater on electric and the 30 amp breaker tripped. After flipping the breaker and turning off the water heater all is well. I now know that I was overloading the 30 amp breaker but did did the system perform as expected?

At the Bash

Gary
Old 07-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #86
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Yep....

That's the way ours werks, and we don't have the ATS.
The results of an overload condition SHOULD be the same for both.

Bob
Old 07-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #87
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Redwood, Yes I do. However repeating what some would say could be misleading info, may lead some to interpret the info without questioning it. I am not saying the switch is bad, but the remedy may be premature. Jim.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #88
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Redwood, Yes I do. However repeating what some would say could be misleading info, may lead some to interpret the info without questioning it. I am not saying the switch is bad, but the remedy may be premature. Jim.
I read that (because it was addressed to me), but I don' t know what any of it means.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #89
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
your question at the end of post 81, jim
Old 07-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
30 amp breaker might not trip at 30 amps. Basically the purpose of the breaker is to protect the trailer wiring and keep it from burning when there is a dead short. I do not think breakers are real accurate. After reading all this I am not going to put in a ATS any time soon. The OP probably needs a bigger or better ATS or to take his out and put in a manual switch for the way it is being used. Which is what I think he said upfront. I do not expect Airstream to replace it with anything but another one like the first. Maybe the ATS has some sort of built in overload protection to keep it from frying since it is in front of the 30 amp breaker. there is probably no fuse or breaker protection between it and the power source? I can see nothing wrong with putting a 50 amp ATS or a manual swich in since that part of the circut is projected by the campground breaker, just like the cord is. One thing about heavy and quality electrical components is that they are expensive. I really find nothing wrong with the addition of a 40 amp fuse in front of the ATS. After all, it is just replacing a piece of solid wire. Not sure I see any use in it either. Personally I like the manual switch or the long cord approach myself.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #91
3 Rivet Member

I just called the Airstream Free Technical Support Line and left a message regarding the repair of my non-cooling air conditioning, tank monitors DOA, and no power when the breakers are not tripped. The web site states “This is a voice mail system only. Your call will be returned within 24 hrs”
The recording stated that a "response will be within 24 to 48 hours". Here is another I had no idea but I am not going to comment on what I think about this level of customer service as I don’t want to continue to be seen as one of the "handful here who pile onto every problem with incredible enthusiasm". I'll wait to see when factory service gets back to me and hopefully it will be sooner than 48 hours.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #92
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collimare View Post

tank monitors DOA,
Do you mean you get no lights at all. Or, do you mean the readings aren't accurate?

Here's how mine works for gray:
It indicates 1 bright LED and 1 dim LED until the water is coming up out of my shower. At that point is reads all 10 bright LED. (But of course, I hear the gurgling in the shower first as my "audible" tank monitor.)

The battery always shows full no matter how it is used. I take no chances with the black.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #93
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Could be they are off for the 4th July week. Lots of companies do that. I would not count on them until next week.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #94
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy View Post
Do you mean you get no lights at all. Or, do you mean the readings aren't accurate?
They were not accurate at all. With my wife yelling from the shower that the tailer was flooding I checked the monitors again as I had been and the grey was still showing two green as I recall. The same thing after I emptied it. I did not bother to check any further.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Collimare:

you might want to read this thread with reference to the grey water in the shower.

It seems that its not always a sensor issue but may be a plumbing vent issue as well

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...sue-83758.html

Dana
Old 07-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #96
3 Rivet Member

I am not trying to pile it on but post it here to demonstrate what I see as systemic poor quality on the part of Airstream. This is very indicative of Harley Davidson before their turnaround back in the mid to late 80s!!

I mentioned that on top of coming home early due to the power issues I had a flat on the way. Thankfully it was while we were having breakfast in Frisco, CO. It was no fault of the tire as it appeared to have a puncture, however when I got the spare down I was concerned about the condition of the brand new tire. It may be hard to see in the photo but in one spot on both sides there was a good deal of rippling of the side wall/tread wrapping around to the opposite side. I also could not get the thin wall deep socket to go on the lugs. I was sure I put the right socket in the truck so proceeded to tap it on to the lug. Got the lug off but could not get it back out of the socket so I put it back on the stud and finally got it to come out. In looking at the lug nuts they are very cheap nuts with a pressed on fake chrome covering over the actual nut. All of the lugs showed some amount of splitting making it hard to get the socket on and the nut out. The new lug on the left is the same size as the defective one on the right just the camera angle trying to show the split. I had already been planning on replacing the tires and this just hastened the process. I took the wheels to Costco and had them put new Michelin LTX M/S2 235/75R15 on filled with nitrogen per forum recommendations, my preference as well (shown at bottom). I also bought all new solid chrome lugs ($14 for all 24) to replace the cheap/defective ones from the factory.

After a bit more research the Parallax ATS/Single Stage Controller in my 2012 is the cheapest one made that will do the job, and in my opinion it is not. This is the same controller sold in every other low end similar size 20-30k travel trailer. Parallax has a mid-level 2 stage unit available, and there are much better ones like the 3 stage IOTA DLS-55/IQ4 that I plan on putting in after Airstream replaces my current bad Parallax ATS/Controller. This also seems to the case with the Air Conditioner as well. I am told it cannot even be recharged or serviced as it is a throwaway. Why would I go to all the trouble to research and upgrade a brand new trailer I paid 60k+ for?? Because I thought I bought a premium product, that was reliable!! and have every intent of making it one. For those who are satisfied with the level of quality put into their trailer, or are willing to live with it, my hats off to you, but why berate those of us who are not. Why should I wait 24-48 hours for Airstream to get back to me to replace the defective units with the same bottom of the line components. Don who started this thread is on his second (2nd) AC unit and waiting for his third (3rd) ATS/Controller hoping for a good one! I will also play the game but plan on upgrading most of the important parts of the trailer as I noted earlier.

Ponder that if everyone keeps accepting it, it will only continue to get worse guaranteed!

I am sincere that anyone considering buying what they think is a high end premium product should be fully aware of the facts as I wish I had been!

To each his own and best of trailering wishes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	162410   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	162411  

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Trailer Tires.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	162412  
Old 07-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #97
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
AS was closed for the holiday. Jim
Old 07-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #98
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
The lug nuts too? This is just a pitiful, shameful and embarrassing testimony to "Made in America." I think I am going to go vomit.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I called Airstream Customer Service this past Monday morning, they got back to me to discuss a satisfactory solution Monday afternoon, and confirmed it with an email on Tuesday.

doug k
Old 07-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #100
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Collimare et al,

This is in no way a defense of Dometic and their Penguin A/C units (or any other RV roof unit), but please be advised that NO ONE makes an RV roof air unit that is fully serviceable ie; rechargeable. These units are all charged and hermetically sealed at the factories and these companies found out long ago that it was not only more cost effective to replace units that have lost charge, but there was a shrinking pool of RV techs (read dealers also) who were federally licensed to handle refrigerants or who had the equipment to drag up on an RV roof and the training to do a re-charge.

Also, whenever there is a loss in system refrigerant, there is usually a reason for that loss.....mostly being caused by a leak in the system. Now the repair gets much more complex as the refrigerant must be re-pressurized, the leak found, system drained, leak repaired, system purged with nitrogen, system re-filled and tested.

At this point, you are past the cost of a new unit in parts and labor for just a repair. This is why roof units are disposable now.

OTOH, I am 100% on-bard with the other complaints about the quality and longevity of the components used in new Airstreams.
Closed Thread