Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #141
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Boy! Where are the moderators?
I consider the story of a poorly constructed A$ to be informative. Perhaps someone should forward this to Jackson Center.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #142
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
No Howard, it's more than that.

People with or hoping for an Airstream read your rants and may believe the Airstream is unsafe to pull across town, much less camp in. Your rants are extreme and discouraging them from having the things they dream about and the travel experiences they wish for.

They also may believe they must go out and buy new components or suffer severe consequences. Not true, and it needlessly strains their budgets.

Be considerate.

doug k

You really think that? Seem to be selling people pretty short!

If there is anything I have posted that you feel I have misrepresented in any way please let me know and I will gladly clarify, provide receipts, drawings used, or if I have apologize and make any corrections/retractions deemed necessary.

Sorry to hear that you feel the issues I have brought forth are not worth someone considering, but I think that is for everyone else to decide. Perhaps as you point out they will just consider me a radical Airstream hating extremist working for the competition and laugh it off or perhaps they pause to consider or otherwise be a little more informed about the “potential” issues and whether they personally feel it is a legitimate concern or not. No one hast to do anything, as you yourself have pointed out numerous times are not, so why not let others make up their minds as well.

If you are afraid the issues are driving people away then perhaps you should spend your efforts working with Airstream to make improvements, unless you don’t think anything I have pointed out has any basis at all. It would seem that you don’t and that is perfectly ok with me.

So we are back to letting others form their own opinions. The forums are full of often strong opinions on everything from tires to waxing care. The forums in part have helped me make informed decisions (i.e. my new tires, storing under cover, winterizing with antifreeze etc..) and more importantly how to repair my trailer (i.e. dead ATS switch) when it failed on our third trip.

I am truly glad you are completely satisfied with yours.

In closing I had the same dreams and wishes of a happy Airstream travel experience you site others want. Guess I am just a bad person for actually expecting it. Perhaps others will enjoy a more informed purchase with full knowledge of “potential” issues.

I have apparently over played the issues, tried to hard to make myself understood, therefore, I sincerely apologize and will refrain from any other posts relating to same.

Happy Trailering!

Doug, Why don’t you send me a private email to continue any further discourse.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #143
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Maybe.
Expectations are so low today. We are grateful for so little.
Personally when I pay top dollar for something I expect top quality workmanship and after purchase service. Is that really asking for too much.? Apparently so.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #144
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
buyers remorse.
Maybe that's it. I give up.

doug k
Old 07-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #145
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Some people see "endless rants", others see very detailed, objective, and accurate assessments. I'm in the latter camp, and hope Collimare is not discouraged by the negativity heaped upon him by a few.

Most of the problems with his AS parallel the ones I had with mine, and I also looked at these deficiencies as an opportunity to make improvements.

This is, and I hope will continue to be, a very informative thread.
WDCU
Old 07-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #146
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Wow, you guys really seem passionate about both side of the quality control issue. Like some I too have had some issues, but not to the extent listed on this thread. I had some early issues I was able to get resolved from my dealer. Luckily they weren't severe enough to keep us from using the trailer.

Next month will be the 24th month of ownership and my factory warranty will be up. My dealer has been accommodating by sending me needed parts and supplies. However this week, I just had to replace my batteries because one had a failed cell, and the other just boiled itself to death. Neither the dealer nor the battery dealer (OEM) would state if it was the Parallux (sp) or just the batteries failing. The timing is bad as we have a trip coming up and I wont be able to buy and install an Ioata in time.

Am I upset, yeah kinda, but with who? AS, Parallux, Interstate? maybe me for not better understanding how to care for the batteries? Yes I too have had leaks. They were repaired, but I also learned how to look for and repair them. My only real remaining bi*** is the Catacon POS seems to need constant re-calibration. I had the grey tank sensor replaced in April and the system worked for 3 trips. The tank is empty, yet reads 1/8 - 1/2 full.

I have noticed the finish on the rear bumper yellowing and the taillight housings discoloring as well. I don't know if its normal or caused in part because I store the trailer outdoors year round.

I've contacted my dealer and await his feedback on these issues. I am aware these shouldn't be issues, but it is what it is , I guess. My wife and I love our A/S, inspite of these issues. In the bigger scheme of things, it similar to owning a house. Stuff happens!!!

Howard, I have followed your posts, and I am a little overwhelmed, so please forgive me asking this, but have you set up a time with the Service manager and dealership GM (or even owner?) to discuss your issues? My dealer is on the other side of the state, and it is a hassle for me to go there every week or month, and I told them that. So I called and emailed them my issues and we found a way to get most resolved. They set me up with a service appt, and for 1 1/2 days, I had a service tech assigned to me and my issues. It cost me two days vacation and gas. It cost the dealer 1 service tech who could have been working on other trailers. In the end we both won - all of my issues were resolved, and the dealer has a customer who is happy and tells his friends how good the dealer treated him.

I'm just saying that we need to try to give the dealer a chance to make things right. You may need to take a day or two off from work (I did), but it may help you get all of your issues resolved so you can enjoy your A/S. I didn't really enjoy camping on the dealers lot, but it was a good learning experience, and everything was resolved.

I wish you the best of luck!!!
Old 07-25-2012, 11:45 PM   #147
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew05 View Post
Howard, I have followed your posts, and I am a little overwhelmed, so please forgive me asking this, but have you set up a time with the Service manager and dealership GM (or even owner?) to discuss your issues? My dealer is on the other side of the state, and it is a hassle for me to go there every week or month, and I told them that. So I called and emailed them my issues and we found a way to get most resolved. They set me up with a service appt, and for 1 1/2 days, I had a service tech assigned to me and my issues. It cost me two days vacation and gas. It cost the dealer 1 service tech who could have been working on other trailers. In the end we both won - all of my issues were resolved, and the dealer has a customer who is happy and tells his friends how good the dealer treated him.

I'm just saying that we need to try to give the dealer a chance to make things right. You may need to take a day or two off from work (I did), but it may help you get all of your issues resolved so you can enjoy your A/S. I didn't really enjoy camping on the dealers lot, but it was a good learning experience, and everything was resolved.

I wish you the best of luck!!!
Thank you for the kind thoughts!!

I bought the trailer from a dealer in Oregon. The local Denver dealer is overwhelmed and you need to wait nearly 4 weeks to get the trailer in. In all honestly I don’t believe the dealer has anything to do with my issues. They are Airstream issues plain and simple, but that is the way I bought it and Airstream deposited my check.

I could take a week off and drive to Jackson but for what? To have the same failing components put back in or have the monitor system calibrated for the 3 or 4th time as some have had done. When I spoke with the factory about the problems with the ATS and a possible design issue I also mentioned the DOA monitor problem and the service representative immediately told me it must be debris blocking the pressure senor. I said it is the gray tank and has been bad since day one or at least first use. Then I was told perhaps it could be still be a blocked or possibly faulty sensor. What else can I say but BS. I don’t want the dealer cutting holes in the bottom covers to get to the sensors. Why not just replace them with something that works better. I have not found a monitor that really works the way I would like for it to and may just design/build my own. I would like for it to display the levels of each sensor (grey, black, fresh, voltage, current, and both LPG tanks at the same time all the time. Not stand there and watch it for scroll through the menu one at a time. I know that it may sound a bit anal, but to me it is the way it should work, just like when I look at the full set of gages in my truck.

I personally feel is cheaper and way better in the long run for me to engineer my own “superior” solutions and put them in myself or pay to have it done by a firm I trust.

Sorry but I personally do not see a magic fix at the dealer. The batteries fry because they are constantly being overcharge by the single stage Parallax. Read all the other treads on it, as it is well explained and documented. Airstream is not going to simply put better components in under any circumstance.

Maybe, and I say maybe, if enough of us collectively and constructively put pressure on the factory to address some of the issues with the new units something might eventually get done, but I don’t believe it would be before my warranty runs out anyway.

As many have said it is what I bought.

In spite of it all we are really enjoying the trailer! Here are a couple of pictures from this evening at the Clear Creak RV park in Golden CO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	163897   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	163898  

Old 07-26-2012, 02:26 AM   #148
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
kettering , northants
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
Some people see "endless rants", others see very detailed, objective, and accurate assessments. I'm in the latter camp, and hope Collimare is not discouraged by the negativity heaped upon him by a few.

Most of the problems with his AS parallel the ones I had with mine, and I also looked at these deficiencies as an opportunity to make improvements.

This is, and I hope will continue to be, a very informative thread.

Well said Silveranger.

When my 73 Overlander arrived in the UK in 2010 totally original.
everything was still working right down to tank monitors. Yes we have upgraded the interior, but we have kept many of the original features, because they are good quality and fitted by craftsmen.

Airstream along with most companies just live off old reputations.
Good reputations take generations to achieve, but are destroyed by greedy shareholders demanding profit over reputation.
This will carry on until customers start voting with their feet and buying alternative products. The only problem with this is, there isn't an alternative to Airstream and they know that. So they will keep on building 60,000$ trailers using 60 cent components. why don't they at least offer upgrade options when ordering.

You wouldn't buy a brand new home, and the day you move in, replace all the plumbing and wiring, or am i missing something ?

Collimare should be praised for his posts, not vilified. At least he has the B***s to say is as it is.

Glad i bought a 73

Cheers
Tim
Old 07-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #149
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Howard,

I fully agree that quality issues are Airstream's issues, and not directly a dealers. However I believe that the dealer (in fact all authorized dearlers) represent A/S. When we present our issues to them it is their responsibility to help resolve these issues. Like their auto counterparts, A/S dealers get reimbursed from Jackson Ctr. for all authorized work done. Initially I felt guilty asking my dealer to fix alot of minor issues, but when the wife asked me why?

You have done a great job documenmting your issues. Like the auto industry, A/S has regional manager reps to assist the dealer and customer, (I'm not sure if they are 'arbitrators' as such). Hopefully someone between you and Ohio has been following your plight, and steps up (either publicly or privately) to help resolve your issues. I would like to think that they could at least get your trailer working and all issues resolved before you need to upgrade major parts/components.

You should be able to enjoy your Cloud before thinking or needing to upgrade. My wife wasn't too happy about the batteries this week (especially right before our trip this weekend), I'm not sure how I'm going to explain replacing the Parallax...

Don't give up hope

Drew
Old 07-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #150
3 Rivet Member

Drew,

I take it in on Monday after waiting nearly 4 weeks to get it in. The only things on my list at this point are the sink, missing rivets, door bumpers, screws, DOA monitor and adjust the brakes. I have addressed everything else myself. Should I have waited and fought A/S on the ATS switch, maybe, but I think it is just a waste of time and I did not want to wait over 3 weeks to have it repaired, woops "replaced". I did contact A/S regarding the ATS switch and why I felt it was "defective" or at least a poor selection. I told Don how to check his because I know I can cause it to fail at will.

I forgot to mention the brake issue earlier. When I had to change the flat I backed the trailer up onto the service ramp and had my wife apply the trailer brakes manually but the wheel just spun freely. I had to increase the amps from 7.5 (normal) to over 12 in order for the wheel to hold enough for me to loosen the lugs. After changing the tire I tried the brakes at 7.5 and I could hear them locking up but when I looked it was only one wheel. So I will have the dealer check the adjustment for each wheel. I don’t know if this is a factory responsibility or the dealer when it arrives, but mine are not adjusted properly.

Do you guys know if all your brakes are engaging roughly the same?
Old 07-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #151
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Like in the days of drum brakes on autos, the brakes on your trailer require periodic adjustment.
Most autos or trucks that have drum brakes have auto adjusters that work when you back up and apply the brakes. Unless you have auto adjust brakes on your trailer (which is rare) you will need to periodically adjust them.
There are a number of You Tube videos showing how this is done.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:56 PM   #152
3 Rivet Member

I told myself that I would not post again but I wanted to make an exception as this is good news and may help others in similar situations.

I contacted AS today about returning the dead ATS for a replacement and after a lengthy discussion about the whole issue they offered to pay for the new ATS if I faxed them my receipt. Done! They are also dispatching UPS to pick up the burned up old one.

I believe this is a step in the right direction. For those of you with 2012 and newer it is not a matter of if but when. If as suggested you reduce your power demands by running the hot water and fridge on gas it will only delay the failure till sometime after the warranty. The small Chinese ATS relay will not hold up long term, but this is only my humble opinion.

The good news is that it is relatively inexpensive ($67) and only took me a few hours to replace. While I am out my labor I appreciate the gesture on the part of AS to reimburse me for the new more robust ATS switch.

The permanent solution is to replace it with one that is more robust. Perhaps AS will authorize the dealers to start doing this in the future, but only if enough owners demand it.

The temporary work around is to limit the current being drawn through the switch and hope for the best.

If it fails (110AC power suddenly shuts off and the breakers are not tripped) remember to simply plug into the front of the trailer forcing the relay to change states to the normally open contacts, then reduce your power and again hope for the best. This will prevent you from being hard down till it can be replaced.

Happy Trailering.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #153
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We're glad to hear that this was worked out and with that being said, this thread is now closed.

On behalf of the site team
Closed Thread