Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
rec
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
anywhere USA , full-timers traveling the country
Newbie question - How to replace batteries

Hi, we are about to replace the two marine batteries on our Airstream. I have verified that we've got the correct replacements and we're ready to go, except for one simple thing: I don't know what to shut off, if anything, in order NOT to electrocute myself. You'd think this would be a simple thing explained in manuals, but I con not determine what I need to do prior to changing the battery. Does the circuit breaker need to be turned off? Does the master battery switch (for long-term storage) need to be turned off?

This is probably a really dumb question for anyone who has ever replaced a car battery, but that is not me either. Thanks!
rec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:27 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
To remove and replace a battery make sure that you are not plugged into shore power. Then make sure you have everything in the trailer shut off. The storage switch will most likely do this for you as well. When you go to remove the cables from the battery always remember this simple phase:

Remove negative
Install positive

By this I mean to remove the negative cable from the battery first, then remove the positive cable. This will prevent you from shorting out your wrench to the frame of the trailer.

When you install a battery, install the positive cable first, then the negative for the same reason.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:38 AM   #3
rec
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Thanks, that's very simple, helpful advice. Why, exactly, can't manuals put things so directly?
Old 01-25-2008, 07:44 AM   #4
rec
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
still a bit confused

Actually, I am still confused about one thing -- my Airstream manual says to ONLY shut off the main kill switch (the one that is apparently attached to the univolt behind the gaucho) when you are putting the thing into storage, which we're not -- we just need to change the batteries out. A) am I going to do some damage to the electrical system by turning off the kill switch when we're not putting it in long-term storage, and b) can I simply accomplish the same thing by disconnecting from shore power and turning off all the breakers in the breaker box? Thanks!
Old 01-25-2008, 10:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
You just need to turn it back on before you tow. The trailer's emergency brake needs the battery to work.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote