Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2010, 07:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Newbie question: Does Use switch have to be on to charge batteries?

On our Safari 23FB, there is a use/store switch near the door that turns on power to the unit from the batteries.

I thought I recalled seeing something in the owners manual that said the switch had to be in the use position when towing to have the batteries be charged through the 7 pin connector.

Is this true or does a battery charge also occur if this is in the store position.

We are about to do a long trip and I want to make sure the batts are charging...

Sandy
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I have never found a reason to ever turn the switch off.

As for charging while driving. The alternator will only charge until it has topped off the TV batteries. Yes during that time the trailer batteries will see a charging voltage but once the TV batteries are fully charged the alternator will drop off. Do not rely on the alternator as the only means of charging the trailer batteries.

It generally takes about 20 miles of travel for an alternator to recharge a battery from a single start up. Once the TV battery is charged and the alternator drops off there will be current flowing to the trailer battery but at a greatly reduced voltage.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I turn the switch off when I am at home and plugged in for a long time, to keep the batteries from continuously charging. I turn it on for a day or so, every week or so.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote