Old 06-20-2006, 12:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Originally Posted by lewster
FWIW,On the battery topic, 6V golf cart batteries have much thicker plates than any 12V battery and have a much higher charge/discharge cycle life.
Ah, finally a sensible reason for using 6V batteries. All batteries are composed of 2V cells in series. When one cell dies (the usual senario for a dead battery) your done for. Although I'm not fond of the extra external connections it has one advantage in that when one of the batteries dies you can replace half the system. Comparing two 12v in parrallel is only a fair comparision to a four 6V setup. The 6V setup is going to give you more fail safe capability because two of your batteries can die and you can still cobble together a working 12V system. In fact, three bum 6V batteries could be made to work in a pinch to provide 12V. Remember, the most common failure is one of the 2V cells so three 6V batteries producing 4V each is 12V. Not a great system but might "save the bacon" so to speak if you're boondocking.

Plate thickness isn't related to voltage. Batteries designed for offroad use have thicker plates and also more space at the bottom for precipitates to accumulate before killing the cell. New technology like the Gates "jelly roll" are even better.

Battery use varies a lot depending on how people use their trailer. Some people are either hooked up to the grid or the charging system on the TV virtually 100% of the time. Other people are regularly depending on their battery to provide power for as long as possible (gimme all you got Scotty Golf cart battery use really isn't so different than this. I'm guessing the majority of carts are owned by golf courses rather than individuals. Running as a buisness and buying in volume the market will be very competitive and not so swayed by fancy advertising. I am surprised they use a 6V system. It seems cutting the amperage by going 12 or 24V or even 48v would make sense. I believe most of the little kid toy electric vehicles use 48V battery packs. Portable tools have migrated to increase voltages over the years and have become much better.

For me the simplicity of a single 12V maintenance free "gel cell" is the way to go. I know I'm not going to be religous about checking electrolyte level and traveling a lot of rough roads is death to conventional lead acid cells anyway. Although I hate them on the TV the GM "side post" design makes for a much cleaner attachement. And as long as you get the dual terminal style you can still get/give a jump start easilly). If I were going to go custom I'd order an array of small 6V 12 amp hour starved electrolyte batteries with Faston connectors and build multiple custom 12V battery packs with isolation. If you look inside a computer room UPS that's what you'll see.

bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:18 PM   #16
Riviting Espresso
1978 25' Caravanner
Boca Raton , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ColdEspresso Send a message via Yahoo to ColdEspresso
Replacing Univolt

Thanks for all of the input... I decided to go with a new Univolt per Andy's suggestion and also the guys at AS agreed. I figured that was the best solution and I will keep you posted if there are any issues.

Thanks again...

Mario & Kelly
Music City, USA
AIR# 12509
1978 Caravanner
2002 Chevy Avalanche Z71
2009 VW Sportwagen TDi
Rancilio Espresso Machine w/ Rocky Grinder
ColdEspresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I had 2 Delco Voyager group 27 deep cycle RV batteries in my '77 Excella 500. I used them for over 4 years and kept them charged with a 5 watt Pulse Tech Solargizer solar system. They never seemed to get low even though I calculated I was discharging them close to 50% each 3 day hunting trip. I guess the Solargizer made up the difference the other 4 days I was not there. This is contrary to what some on the board would have me believe. They are really good batteries that some on the forum have said lasted up to 10 years. If I can figure out how to get 2 of them on the tongue of my trailer then that is what I will go with. I presently have one Walmart Everstart 115 amp hr. battery which is about 2 years old and no problems so far.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:08 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
My small input is that the 6volt golf cart battery is great for long duration use
as golf carts are .I used to service golf carts for a golf course in town as well as their toro mower machines .Those carts go all day on a charge .The idea of 4 of them together for seriouse boondocking sounds like a good plan as
your needing the best ,long lasting ,duration batteries .But as Andy said golf
carts dont have 12volt lights ,refrigerators and such .The local rv outlet
I work with and buy from have these deep cycle 12volt batteries ,they are
maroon in color and are very popular and are a large case size .It would seem
at first glnce they might be the heavy duty ticket .Someone here might know
the ones I mean .I use a long narrow forklift/industrial type battery in my 60
trdwnd as that is what fits .works great ,but not the optimum setup .But
then I do have the honda eu2000 on hand .

scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:25 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR

The golf cart that I have has 6- 6volt batteries. They are connected in a series/parallel system that gives a 12 VDC output. Each pair is connected in series, and then the 3 pair are connected in parallel. They are 200AH each, so the 3 pair have a total of 12VDC with 600 AH total capacity. BTW, the cart HAS headlights and 2 fans, all 12VDC.

Also, FWIW, almost every major premium motor home manufacturer (Monaco, Country Coach, American Coach, Newmar) have gone away from the use of 12 VDC 4D wet cells and have replaced then with either 4 or 6, 6 VOLT AGM GOLF CART BATTERIES connected as I described above. Their thinking on the issue is deeper discharge capacity than 4-D's, longer life and higher AH output. They must have run the numbers and found this to be the way to go. It's all I have been seeing on the newer diesel MoHo's.
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:10 AM   #20
Rivet Master
1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
I went with the Optima battery and have been very pleased. Pricey but worth the money, lots of advantages in this newer technology.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:16 AM   #21
Rivet Master
1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
I really like the Optima battery I replaced my old one with. Lots to be said for the new technology (AGM). Pricey but worth it. No maintenance, size/weight, mount in any position in unvented space, and holds a charge for up to 8 months.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:43 PM   #22
Rivet Master
1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hey lewster ,
those golf cart batteries do deep cycle well ,like an old 6volt battery in
an old truck .It sounds like more deep cycle stamina if you will ,basically
to run 6 volt batteries ,I understand your explanation on the hookup and
the way the they deep cycle ,you have 4 or 6 separate batteries instead
of two ,and as a service tech that you are you know the deal on the two
batteries ,seemingly always going dead and ,or,replaced constantly.Although
many reasons for the battery failures for sure.Those AMG seem to be the
ticket today.I won't put 6 6volt batteries in my tradewind ,But boondocking on batteries does require the best setup .

scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote