Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2015, 09:45 AM   #61
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Be aware that when you equalize a liquid cell battery, you should put it thru a complete charge cycle first so that it is fully charged to its capacity. Then apply the high voltage.

It is also worth checking with the battery manufacturer to be sure of what voltage and duration the equalizing charge should be.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:20 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Thanks everyone for your input. I found some distilled water and will give it a go
Cheers
Doug
Old 04-08-2015, 10:34 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
I see that Trojan also has a Group 27 TMH that is 115AH. Thinking that would be the way to go as it it slightly better than the T105 6volt and no battery box mods now that Lewster has pointed out the solution?

George
Those are 61lbs vs 55lbs for the 27MTX. I'm not sure they are the newest model as I can't find them listed in the current model lineup on the Trojan website. There is an 27 SCS225 and its 66lbs with a 130ah 20 amp rate. They would be similar in weight to an Grp 27 100ah/20 AGM.

Unfortunately, my hitch weight is already to high (1100 to 1200lbs) otherwise I might go with the SCS225s.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:01 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
I'm with you Kelvin. The last thing I want to do is add weight to the tongue. I have a 28' with a prepared hitch so i'm in the same range as you.
I have the battery on the charger working away at 15A. We will see what happens.

Cheers
Doug
Old 04-08-2015, 04:31 PM   #65
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Ya know...........the new lithiums from AM Solar weigh about 1/3 if what lead batteries do.........and you mount them inside closer to the axels.

...........just sayin'.................

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 04-08-2015, 05:32 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Well the attempt to bump the dead cell back to life did not work. The battery had a reading if 11.66 before I added water and put it on a 15A charge. After a couple hours and an hour to rest it (as per Kevin's post) it had a reading of 11.74. So i'm guessing the cell is pooched.
To bad!
Old 04-08-2015, 05:45 PM   #67
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Well the attempt to bump the dead cell back to life did not work. The battery had a reading if 11.66 before I added water and put it on a 15A charge. After a couple hours and an hour to rest it (as per Kevin's post) it had a reading of 11.74. So i'm guessing the cell is pooched.
To bad!
You need a 15 VOLT charge, not a 15 amp charge for equalization.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:58 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Ya know...........the new lithiums from AM Solar weigh about 1/3 if what lead batteries do.........and you mount them inside closer to the axels.

...........just sayin'.................

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Trouble is Canada is probably not the best area to be testing the Lithium's cold weather charging issues. Just saying!

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:14 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Hi Lew - sorry I will have to double check my charger, but I'm guessing it was charging at 15V not 15A. It's a standard Shop type charger I used and not one of my little smart chargers. If I remember right I can set it to either 2 or 15 as charging options.
For giggles I will pick up a hydrometer tomorrow to confirm my multimeter readings but in the end i'm guessing I'm pooched. I did check the pricing of the Trojan TMX here in Canada and they range in price from a low of 200 to a high of 230.00 - ouch!
Old 04-09-2015, 07:15 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
From what i have read from handy bob the BMK-N is just a meter showing voltage, amps like a multimeter vs Trimetric which shows actual usage of voltage/ amps in during charging and voltage/ amp out of battery showing a truer state of battery charge and discharge.

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...battery-power/

SO is this true or not in your opinion.

PS I take what he and others say with a grain of salt as everyone has a different way of looking at the same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
You don't need a Trimetric if you have a Magnum. You can install the integrated Magnum BMK-N battery monitor system that reads they the ME-RC remote.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:30 AM   #71
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Oh, Handy Bob, or Solar Bob, of ANGRY BOB as he is known in the industry!!!!!

The BMK gives you state of charge, volt meter accurate to hundredth of a volt, amp/hours in or out, resettable amp/ hour meter and total amp hours out.

What else are you missing?? And this reads they the existing ME-RC remote with no additional wiring required except from BMK module to inverter and 2 leads to the batteries.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 04-09-2015, 01:08 PM   #72
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
'fox, you can order batteries online and have them shipped if you can't find what you are looking for close to home.

I looked up the prices of the AM Solar lithium batteries and I can wait for them to be more competitive. Much more competitive.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:13 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Thanks Gene - I plan on being in Calgary in a few weeks and will try and source something there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
'fox, you can order batteries online and have them shipped if you can't find what you are looking for close to home.

I looked up the prices of the AM Solar lithium batteries and I can wait for them to be more competitive. Much more competitive.

Gene