Old 09-17-2008, 11:08 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
My new GFCI still trips when batteries are low...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I am not sure what Power Supply you are using but in general. Any electrical device, radio, tv, mixer, ect that has a filter capacitor across the input before the transformer or speed controller will blow a GFI and there is no way to stop it short of removing the cap.

The charging current into the cap makes the GFI think there is a problem.

Most newer devices have worked around this.
HowieE's explanation makes sense to me. I replaced my GFCI and thought I had it fixed, but the next time I went boondocking the genset tripped the GFCI. I had to charge from the engine alternator a few minutes and then the GFCI would stay on. I plan to put the charger on a non-GFCI circuit.

Thanks, HowieE.

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:54 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I am sure how I can say this and make it clear other than there is no reason for a power supply to be on a GFI circuit. In fact as I mentioned before there are reasons not to have the power supply on a GFI circuit.

Some lawyer working for Airstream that was taught in school that electricity was BAD made the discussion requiring them to install the power supply that way. The world was much better of when engineers not social scientists and lawyers could design things.

As far as the power supply working on one battery and not on two the increased load on the power supply has most likely caused the ground current that causes the GFI to trip to go beyond the trip point.

Sorry if I offended any social scientists.
I have to agree, there is no reason to put the 12 volt inverter on a GFI circuit. The GFI is to protect you from getting a lethal shock, and a 12 volt power supply has nothing to do with the 120 volt ac plugs in the AS.
If I have any more problems with GFCI tripping, I will put it on a non-GFCI circuit. Not an easy task in my 81 Excella II, but I can run an extension cord to another AC outlet nearby if necessary. By the way, make SURE you have the power supply chassis wired to GROUND for safety.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:14 PM   #31
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
I've had lots of GFIs go bad, switched to Cutler Hammer (BR115AF) & problems solved. We shut- down the univolt at night, so maybe by working the switch, we've cleaned it of any dust in the contacts. I would not consider changing any of the factory wiring.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:06 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
A 'Duh" Moment

All winter I fantasized how I was going to run a non-gfci circuit to my replacement power converter. Then this spring when I was servicing the ice maker, lo and behold there's a non-gfci outlet behind it, right upstairs from the power converter area. Problem solved.

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auretrvr View Post
All winter I fantasized how I was going to run a non-gfci circuit to my replacement power converter. Then this spring when I was servicing the ice maker, lo and behold there's a non-gfci outlet behind it, right upstairs from the power converter area. Problem solved.
Looks like someone at the factory did not know what they were doing. There is no reason, in fact there are good reasons not to, put a converter on a GFI.
Like wise any appliance near or using water should be on a GFI. I would suggest you switch the 2 connections.

Depending on the way the converter is filtered on the 120 input side the converter may frequently and with no good reason pop the GFI.

A none protected ice make on the other hand may leak wetting the floor and if you happen to find a campground with reverse polarity could be a shocking experience.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote