Old 10-21-2004, 01:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Question New Power Converter

For my 66 tradewind I just bought a new 60 amp Inteli Power 9100 converter/charger. I have removed the original univolt. If you have ever read my post before, remember don't assume I know any thing. So here are my questions.
  1. Does the Inteli Power hook up the same way as the Univolt?
  2. Is there any thing that needs to be salvaged from the Univolt in order to operate my new system.
  3. The converter is wired to a fuse panel with clear tube style fuses (I do know how to tell if they are blown) and other black boxes conected to wires, are these fuses as well, they are about one inch squares. If so how do I know if they are still good?
  4. If I am not near shore power to recharge my batteries, can I use my tow vehicles alternator through the converter to charge my batteries? If so, how and what do I need?
Thanks in advance to the person willing to tackle these questions, or even one.

Bill

Old 10-21-2004, 02:46 PM   #2
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
We are planning to do the same conversion here in the next couple of months. I saw and wrote down the name BOB HAST from one of the posts here regarding this subject because he had done the conversion and posted pictures of the conversion in his picture gallery. You might see if that will help you - I'm hoping it will help us when the time comes. Also, using the "search" feature w/Intellipower could give more info.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 03:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

[QUOTE=66 Tradewind]For my 66 tradewind I just bought a new 60 amp Inteli Power 9100 converter/charger. I have removed the original univolt. If you have ever read my post before, remember don't assume I know any thing. So here are my questions. [list=1][*]Does the Inteli Power hook up the same way as the Univolt?

Bob, I'll endeavour to answer your questions based on my experience with my 1988 Excella. Your trailer may differ. Yes, it hooks up the same way. If there is a third small wire in the trailer to a "power-on" indicator, just cap it with a wire nut. This function will not operate with the Intellipower.
[*]Is there any thing that needs to be salvaged from the Univolt in order to operate my new system.

No.
[*]The converter is wired to a fuse panel with clear tube style fuses (I do know how to tell if they are blown) and other black boxes conected to wires, are these fuses as well, they are about one inch squares. If so how do I know if they are still good?

If you buy a digital voltmeter and learn a few simple tests, your life will be transformed, and you no longer be at the mercy of others. A blown fuse will show an infinite resistance. The black boxes may be thermal cut-outs, which act as fuses, but reset themselves when they cool down.
[*]If I am not near shore power to recharge my batteries, can I use my tow vehicles alternator through the converter to charge my batteries? If so, how and what do I need?

In theory, you just plug the connector into the socket at the rear of the tow vehicle, and run the engine. In practice, if the alternator is low-powered, or the wire from the alternator to the trailer is "too thin", you are unlikely to be able to charge the batteries to a sufficient voltage. A book like "Managing 12 volts" by Harold Barre will explain the complexities of these matters in a straightforward way. An owner of a similar trailer to yours will be able to give a more specific answer.

Good luck! Nick.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:02 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Thanks Nick and Leigh

Thanks Leigh,

I found the post you refered to. Here it is;
http://www.airforums.com/forum...2969#post82969

Thanks Nick,

Great advice. I will check out the book you recomend.

Bill
Old 10-24-2004, 06:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
I see you've begun tinkering with the electrical stuff. Guess I'll watch and see what happens.... Remember to hang on to all of the parts-someone may want/need them! L
Old 10-24-2004, 10:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Tradewind
Great advice. I will check out the book you recomend.
Bill (and 6 others out there), www.abebooks.com has 7 used copies of this book, starting at $5. Nick.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:29 AM   #7
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
ready to try???!!

Wow, its been awhile...

We are now the proud owners of a new 9100 60amp Intelli Pwer converter and plan to try the install this weekend. What I wondered is if any one knows if the install in an Argosy Minuet will go differently than other AS trailers? Any quirks or possible obstacles that anyone has run across or is aware of? We won't be at home when we do this, but up where the trailer is stored, so trying to plan ahead for any particular tools or materials that might come in hand to take along. Any ideas are appreciated Thanks.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:57 PM   #8
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Parts and stuff:

Go to home depot and get some #2 wire. Red and black. You may need 3 or 4 feet of each color.

You need to look at the converter. The lugs to attach the wires use a hex key to turn IIRC.

Do you know if the fuse panel on your trailer is built into the Univolt? If it is you may need a new distribution block. Yes you could take the old one out of the univolt before junking it, but new is better. You can even go with the blade mini-fuses if you like. Also the old fuse panel will require you to fabricate a mount for it.

One thing to remember is that the ground in the tailer is a white wire, just like home wiring. Black is normally hot. The univolt were wired with black and white wires in many cases.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 05:22 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Cincinnati , Ohio
Intellipower Installation

Bill,

I posted pics of my conversion from univolt to intellipower. Hope they help. The PO had changed my fuse panel from glass 'tube' fuses to automotive 'bayonet' fuses before I purchased then AS. All I did was swap out the univolt itself. It was very easy.

p.s. to all - I still have the old univolt which still functions. It is FREE to anyone who wants to pay the shipping cost.

Bob Hastings
'06 Classic 28'
'04 Ford F250 V8

Remember :
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
Margaret Lee Runbeck

BOBHASTINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 05:33 AM   #10
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Bob,
No, No, no!! Save it! Make a yard light transformer with it!!
Thats what we are going to do...
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:04 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Chance , Maryland
have a 1990 airstream landyacht with energenius eg3000 series the breaker with the white test button has blown, what do i do, and where do i get a new one?