Old 08-11-2016, 05:42 PM   #15
Stay CazuaL

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
My friend has a timer set for Friday 8p to Saturday 8p to turn on Shore power to charge the batteries.

I have solar for mine.

Someone recommended a trickle charger. However, if you don't have maintenance free batteries, you need to keep an eye on the water level on the batteries.

"Sweat is your fat crying"
WBCCI 9164
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Regardless of your use of timers, a Parallax constant voltage converter WILL eventually kill your batteries from charging them with improper voltages.

Many liquid cells require up to 14.8VDC for the bulk and absorb phase to properly push sufficient current into the batteries. AGMs require 14.2VDC.

Where does the Parallax 13.6VDC continual charge come in......IT SHOULDN'T !!!!!

And for a float or maintenance charge, many batteries require 13.2VDC for this final charging phase. Again, it is far lower than a continual 13.6VDC with no amperage adjustment, as the charging amperage should have been tapered to approx. 1.5VDC/100 amp/hours of battery capacity by this point in the charging regimen.

And I won't get started with the many benefits of temperature compensation for the charging voltages.

Sorry, but for the top dollars that you pay for a 'premium' Airstream, they leave you decades behind the curve when it comes to battery charging equipment.

Lew Farber

lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:25 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Salem , Oregon
Thumbs up Essential battery infor for all (battery school)

I just found all the information you will ever need in the following link from a local supplier in my home town.

http://www.batteriesnorthwest.com/ba...ool.cfm?TID=10

Dave
Old 08-20-2016, 08:17 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Richardson , Texas
Battery info

Thank you, Dave. Good information 👍
Old 08-20-2016, 11:02 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
I just found all the information you will ever need in the following link from a local supplier in my home town.

http://www.batteriesnorthwest.com/ba...ool.cfm?TID=10

Dave
Not to be a curmudgeon, but after reading the entire link, there are many mis- statements and confusing details listed.

DO NOT CONFUSE 'gel' and 'maintenance free' batteries with true AGM batteries. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME! True 'gel' batteries are still being made and are much more temperamental that a true AGM battery, while many 'maintenance free' batteries are simply valve-regulated liquid cell batteries that are primarily used in engine starting applications.

This goes for construction, ratings, use and especially charging set points. If you charge a Lifeline AGM at the voltages listed in the long......you will damage them!!!

DO NOT USE CCA RATINGS as a measure of a true deep cycle battery's capacity. You need to compare the '20 hour rate' across all of the batteries that you are considering.

Most important: always check with the manufacture of the batteries you are using for the specific information required for proper battery charging voltages and corresponding state of charge levels.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:42 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
I have a question on how long a charge should last. Yesterday I charged the batteries (Original Interstate that came with the trailer they batteries are just under two years old and I have the factory converter) After running the generator for 90 min the batteries read 12.4 at 10:00 AM this morning the charge was down to 9.4. After driving for 3 hours the charge was back up to 12.3 Our trailer is a 2015 and has halogen lights (which for most of the night were off)and the refrigerator was on AUTO, the TV's are unplugged and we just have the carbon monoxide detector on.

We have been on the road for 2 months mostly with electric so the trailer has been plagued in. Any suggestions?
Thanks for your help

2015 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Ponyfvr is offline   Reply With Quote