Old 04-10-2016, 02:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
diamond bar , California
New converter install but where to put the 12v from tow Vehicle

I'm currently installing a new converter, PD9260C and a Blue Sea fuse panel. Not really sure where to connect the 12v from TV? Add an inline fuse or back feed the panel through a fuse????

It was connected direct to the trailer battery but I'm not sure if that is the correct method. I'm the trailer's 3rd owner.

Does the trailer end up back feeding the truck?
I'm sure the truck has a fuse for the trailer 12v but does it overload when using, or what happens?

Old 04-10-2016, 02:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Below is the 12 V diagram for my 2015 Classic. As you can see the TV power terminates to a GND and 12V buss bar, connected directly to the batteries. These bars are located within a foot or two of the battery box. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12V electrical diagram.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	260351  

ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:09 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
I have a '75 - Same as Alamo above.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:46 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
diamond bar , California
Thank you, thank you!

I purchased a plastic sealed end to end battery box for (2) 6v. Originally I wanted to place on the tongue but there is no space unless I move the propane tanks forward.

I'm removing the existing battery box but leaving the door. Placing the box around there and venting through the existing door. Or do I need to relocate the propane tanks and make room?

I have been reading the debates about hitches and sway. I towed the Argosy 1 time, where I brought it to my house, about 90 mi. The battery box will be behind the axle about 3'. Do I need to be concerned? The previous owner gave me the original weight distribution hardware but I did not use them. I'm not planning to use any distribution or sway device.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:13 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
The TV 12V positive does not necessarily have to be hooked up.. If you have any battery makeup other than the lead-acid type then you DO NOT want to hook up the TV 12V positive directly to your trailer battery bank. Your alternator (located in your TV) will not charge different types of batteries other than the type your TV is equipped with (most common typical TV has lead acid types). Each system has a different charging pattern and voltage ratings, so they could harm your batteries if the charge cycle is not intended for the type being used.

If you are intending on running strictly off of the TV power supply or the trailer bank then it would be handy, or if you want to charge the same type battery when you are connected to the TV while in travel. If you are doing so, I recommend a diode placed inline from the TV to the trailer to prevent power from flowing back to the TV. Or at the very least a fused line. Most newer TV have a isolated fused circuit dedicated to the 7 way hookup 12V +.

I personally used a 3 way battery switch so you can use either the TV or the trailer battery bank but not both (I've installed AGM type batteries). The switch is built to disconnect completely before latching to either source. Blue Sea makes a good marine type suitable for this application. An example this gives you the ability to cool your fridge while traveling but not draining the trailer's batteries, upon arrival and vehicle shut off you switch back.
Keeping the Art on the road, one project at a time
ArtisanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:04 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
"I purchased a plastic sealed end to end battery box for (2) 6v. Originally I wanted to place on the tongue but there is no space unless I move the propane tanks forward.

I'm removing the existing battery box but leaving the door. Placing the box around there and venting through the existing door. Or do I need to relocate the propane tanks and make room?"

I moved the propane tanks forward - it actually was easy - took less than 1/2 hour.
I did it to put a spare tire on the tongue.

If you use AGM batteries you can put them anywhere you like as in over the axles. No venting needed!

I put my batteries under one of my twin beds in an unuseable storage space over the axles. Lowered my tongue weight a bit and opened up the front for other uses.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:18 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Hawk View Post
"I purchased a plastic sealed end to end battery box for (2) 6v. Originally I wanted to place on the tongue but there is no space unless I move the propane tanks forward.

I'm removing the existing battery box but leaving the door. Placing the box around there and venting through the existing door. Or do I need to relocate the propane tanks and make room?"

I moved the propane tanks forward - it actually was easy - took less than 1/2 hour.
I did it to put a spare tire on the tongue.

If you use AGM batteries you can put them anywhere you like as in over the axles. No venting needed!

I put my batteries under one of my twin beds in an unuseable storage space over the axles. Lowered my tongue weight a bit and opened up the front for other uses.
All valid and good points!

Keeping the Art on the road, one project at a time
ArtisanAir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v