Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
San Diego , California
New Converter/Charger & AGM Batteries

My 2009 27' FB Classic has 3 75Watt solar panels, a 1500Watt inverter, 4 AGM Group 27 batteries (2 in standard boxes, 2 under bed) and the AS provided Parallax 7300 series converter charger. The nearly 6 year old AGMs are shot and will be replaced. My previous trailer with a similar configuration but with a Xantrex multistage Con/Chg and temperature compensation had 4 Lifelines that lasted over 8+ years and were still going strong when I sold the unit. I think the shorter longevity of my present batteries may well be due to the Parallax 7300. My setup is used often during lengthy boondocking so I want to restore the full battery capability and for longtime longevity and reliability. The expensive Xantrex con/chg like the one used in my old trailer would require considerable effort to install.
It has been recommended by BestConverter.com that I install a Progressive Dynamics 4655. It has 4 stages, one of which is a desulfation stage with 14.4 volts done for 15 minutes automatically done (I think) once a week during storage. AGMs should not be equalized but BestConverter says equalization is 15.5 volts for much longer (8 hours) and bears no resemblence to the desulfation done by the PD4655.
The PD 4655 does not have battery temperature compensation.
Some of myquestions are (1) Does the PD4655 have the proper charging voltages & stages for my AGMs? (2) Is the desulfation stage satisfactory for the AGMs? (3) Should I get a con/chg that has temperature compensation?
I am not well versed in these topics and will appreciate any advice.
Fly.On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly.On View Post
My 2009 27' FB Classic has 3 75Watt solar panels, a 1500Watt inverter, 4 AGM Group 27 batteries (2 in standard boxes, 2 under bed) and the AS provided Parallax 7300 series converter charger. The nearly 6 year old AGMs are shot and will be replaced. My previous trailer with a similar configuration but with a Xantrex multistage Con/Chg and temperature compensation had 4 Lifelines that lasted over 8+ years and were still going strong when I sold the unit. I think the shorter longevity of my present batteries may well be due to the Parallax 7300.
I think you're probably right.

Quote:
My setup is used often during lengthy boondocking so I want to restore the full battery capability and for longtime longevity and reliability. The expensive Xantrex con/chg like the one used in my old trailer would require considerable effort to install.
Look at the Xantrex Truecharge. I've never used one, but on paper they look great. They're sold primarily as a marine product but would work fine in an RV. Bestconverter has them.

The Truecharge is a multistage, temperature compensated charger, without an inverter capability. They will also work on 90-265 volts, so they'll work fine no matter how screwed up the campground wiring is.

Quote:
It has been recommended by BestConverter.com that I install a Progressive Dynamics 4655. It has 4 stages, one of which is a desulfation stage with 14.4 volts done for 15 minutes automatically done (I think) once a week during storage. AGMs should not be equalized but BestConverter says equalization is 15.5 volts for much longer (8 hours) and bears no resemblence to the desulfation done by the PD4655.
The PD 4655 does not have battery temperature compensation.
Some of myquestions are (1) Does the PD4655 have the proper charging voltages & stages for my AGMs?
No.

Quote:
(2) Is the desulfation stage satisfactory for the AGMs?
No.

Quote:
(3) Should I get a con/chg that has temperature compensation?
If you have AGMs that are at 90 degrees and you charge them at voltages for 70 degrees, they will be overcharged, and their useful life will be reduced. The higher the temperature, the more rapid the damage.

On the other hand if they are at 50 degrees, a fancy multistage charger (but with no temperature compensation) will progress through the stages too quickly and go into float before the batteries are completely charged.

You decide.