Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2007, 10:10 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
New Batteries Won't hold charge

2007 Safari FB SE with less than 500 miles. The batteries will charge but will be flat within 24 hours. Everything in the trailer is turned off. Battery disconnect is off. When I turn the disconnect switch to off the light "pulses" for a few seconds and than fades out.

Status light for batteries is green when I stop charging. Water is OK.

Any ideas?

Thanks;

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Do a simple test. When batteries show full charge, physically disconnect both of them from the trailer electrical and each other. Wait and test them separately.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
You're covered by the 2 year warranty

John,
First, Excella CM is right. Physically disconnect the batteries. You could have a short that could damage your trailer(not to mention the batteries). Have you called your AS dealer? If yes, what does your AS dealer say? You could also call the factory. I would disconnect the batteries and tow it to the dealers shop.
-Ken
Old 04-30-2007, 11:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
2007 Safari FB SE with less than 500 miles. The batteries will charge but will be flat within 24 hours. Everything in the trailer is turned off. Battery disconnect is off. When I turn the disconnect switch to off the light "pulses" for a few seconds and than fades out.

Status light for batteries is green when I stop charging. Water is OK.

Any ideas?

Thanks;

John
Let me guess, you have MegaTron batteries? I have the exact same situation...won't even keep my furnace or refer working on gas overnight because of low or no voltage to the electonics in the appliances.

I am taking it in for exchange under warranty.

Time
Old 05-01-2007, 05:41 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Surprise , Arizona
I've also had trouble with the batteries on my new trailer, and I suspect that's because the dealer didn't maintain them properly while the trailer was in inventory. I've heard it said that some dealers routinely let the batteries become fully discharged (not good), and in some areas of the country, the batteries then bake in the hot sun (even worse). As a result of this abuse, the batteries are unable to hold a full charge.

Here's a link that explains how to test batteries: Test a battery - Education. Many similar links can be found on the internet, so you won't have trouble finding guidance. The key recommendation is to "fully charge" your batteries (you can use your trailer's status monitor for that), and then to use a hydrometer to check the batteries' specific gravity.

Like me, you'll probably find that even when the battery is "charged" (as measured by the voltage across its terminals), its specific gravity is in the "discharged" range. Proof positive that the batteries are totally shot.

The best solution...really, the only effective one, I'm told...is to replace the batteries and then to maintain the new ones conscientiously.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Titus
TitusLivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:17 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Thanks, everyone. I'm on my way to disconnect and then take it to someone who knows what they are doing for testing and, probably, replacement.

This unit was just built in March of this year and shipped directly to the dealer in Oregon. I picked it up 2 days after it arrived there. Can't blame the dealer on this one.

John
Old 05-01-2007, 11:37 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Well, well! I started to disconnect the batteries and noticed the wire from the electric hoist. I traced it from the battery to the hoist and found that, when I took off and then replaced the cover to the propane tanks I pinched this wire to the extent that one strand of bare wire poked thru and was touching the metal cover.

I will now try to charge the batteries and see if I have completely ruined them. Why do I always learn things the hard way?

John
Old 05-01-2007, 12:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Known design flaw

John,
Good troubleshooting work! Many folks have the squashed tongue jack wires under the propane tank cover problem including me. I padded the wires with foam packing material. Maybe I should do more before they get cut.
-KL
Old 05-01-2007, 09:39 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
I don't think you will cut the wire if you're careful, which I, obviously, was not. If you don't screw the tank cover down really really tight and check to make sure you can move the wire in and out a little after the tank is secured, you should be OK.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:43 PM   #10
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I noticed that and wrapped those wires in sprial wrap. Available from ost Auto parts stores.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote