Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-06-2015, 08:58 AM   #29
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,884
Road trip?????


Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
__________________

__________________
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
SOLAR TECH ENERGY SYSTEMS, INC.
AM SOLAR ...MAGNUM…VICTRON ENERGY...LITHIUM & LIFELINE BATTERIESMARINE REFRIGERATION
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:58 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member
 
2012 27' FB International
Victor , New York
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Nice job! The only thing I would change is the arrangement of your output terminals.
Excellent advice, Lewster -- thank you! I will be sure to rearrange the output terminals.

Does anyone know what the two cables with the blue crimps are for in the photo?

If anyone is familiar with a 2012 International 27FB, these set of cables enter the battery box from the street side, while the trailer "load" cables come in from the curbside. I am guessing they are either to the inverter or converter, not sure which however.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0567-2.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	238157  
__________________

__________________
Meddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:43 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,884
Might be you inverter feed cables?


Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
__________________
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
SOLAR TECH ENERGY SYSTEMS, INC.
AM SOLAR ...MAGNUM…VICTRON ENERGY...LITHIUM & LIFELINE BATTERIESMARINE REFRIGERATION
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:36 PM   #32
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,946
I just put two Lifeline GPL-31XT in our battery box to be charged by our new PD 4655 converter. They will only fit sideways as shown in post 22 (ours looks exactly the same), with no space left for the center hold-down rod (less than 1/4"). There is space on the sides for the power cables on one side and inverter cables on the other.

The power cables have automotive-type lead lugs, a really tight fit on the batteries but they will work if positioned just right. You will need longer parallel cables between them, measure to be sure. Lew recommends 1/0 or preferably 2/0 cables, that makes good sense.

The Lifeline website lists the length of the GLP-31XT as 12.09 inches, they are actually 12 7/8 inches long, so consider that when measuring. You will need to cut away the forward upper lip of the battery box; remove the hinge rivets and cover and a Sawzall makes quick work of it. Again, they will not go in fore-aft position like the original batteries because of this actual length.

So 250 amp hours, two 12v batteries (in case one craps out we still have usable power), and a little more undesirable hitch weight on the FC 25. I may leave the spare tire and carrier at home for this year's winter travel in the South, we upgraded to exceptionally reliable Michelin 16" some time ago.
__________________
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:14 AM   #33
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I just put two Lifeline GPL-31XT in our battery box to be charged by our new PD 4655 converter. They will only fit sideways as shown in post 22 (ours looks exactly the same), with no space left for the center hold-down rod (less than 1/4"). There is space on the sides for the power cables on one side and inverter cables on the other.

The power cables have automotive-type lead lugs, a really tight fit on the batteries but they will work if positioned just right. You will need longer parallel cables between them, measure to be sure. Lew recommends 1/0 or preferably 2/0 cables, that makes good sense.

The Lifeline website lists the length of the GLP-31XT as 12.09 inches, they are actually 12 7/8 inches long, so consider that when measuring. You will need to cut away the forward upper lip of the battery box; remove the hinge rivets and cover and a Sawzall makes quick work of it. Again, they will not go in fore-aft position like the original batteries because of this actual length.

So 250 amp hours, two 12v batteries (in case one craps out we still have usable power), and a little more undesirable hitch weight on the FC 25. I may leave the spare tire and carrier at home for this year's winter travel in the South, we upgraded to exceptionally reliable Michelin 16" some time ago.
__________________
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
SOLAR TECH ENERGY SYSTEMS, INC.
AM SOLAR ...MAGNUM…VICTRON ENERGY...LITHIUM & LIFELINE BATTERIESMARINE REFRIGERATION
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:00 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member
 
Barbieri's Avatar
 
2004 30' Classic
San Antonio , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 78
New to this but I read of an AS who put the battery outside but he got the lifeline Agm. Instead of two batteries he replaced it with one 4d or 8d and it cost less. After all in a dual battery system if one goes bad you replace both. Check it out.
__________________
Barbieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:22 PM   #35
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbieri View Post
New to this but I read of an AS who put the battery outside but he got the lifeline Agm. Instead of two batteries he replaced it with one 4d or 8d and it cost less. After all in a dual battery system if one goes bad you replace both. Check it out.
You can achieve more usable amp/hours by going with 2 GPL-6CT Lifeline 6VDC golf cart batteries over any 4D or 8D. The 4D is rated at 205 amp/hours and the 8D is 255 amp/hours. The GPL-6CTs are rated at 300 amp/hours.

I have seen several posts about wanting to use 12VDC batteries over the 6VDC golf cart style using the logic that 'if one golf cart battery goes bad, then you have no DC. Guess what???? If your single 4D or 8D goes bad, you STILL have no 12VDC.

In my 16 years of doing RV (and now marine) electrical and battery replacements, I have yet to see a single Lifeline 6VDC battery 'go bad' when installed in 2 or 4 battery systems. The plates are much thicker than 12VDC batteries and the glass mat and separator materials are tightly packed into the shell, leaving no room for any movement and potential shorting of the plates.

Choice is yours.......just a few professional comments from 'the field'.
__________________
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
SOLAR TECH ENERGY SYSTEMS, INC.
AM SOLAR ...MAGNUM…VICTRON ENERGY...LITHIUM & LIFELINE BATTERIESMARINE REFRIGERATION
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:11 PM   #36
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Corpus Christi , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,474
Images: 1
Thanks, Lew. Them are some big boys (90# ea if I read the right chart), but I need to rebuild the battery box on this Silver Streak anyway. Now I have a goal as to size and strength.
__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:13 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member
 
2016 28' Pendleton
terre haute , Indiana
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13
Lew,

The Lifeline GPL-4CT only comes with the MB threaded terminals. How do you attach the automotive style leads from the camper? The inverter leads are separate and have the round connectors so that should be no problem. I have a 2016 camper so the battery box seems to be perfectly sized for the GPL-4CT batteries.

What can I used to replace the Parallax 5300 converter with something with a smart charger? Has anyone replaced the 5300 with a smart charger.
__________________
jcwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:25 AM   #38
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwall View Post
Lew,

The Lifeline GPL-4CT only comes with the MB threaded terminals. How do you attach the automotive style leads from the camper? The inverter leads are separate and have the round connectors so that should be no problem. I have a 2016 camper so the battery box seems to be perfectly sized for the GPL-4CT batteries.

What can I used to replace the Parallax 5300 converter with something with a smart charger? Has anyone replaced the 5300 with a smart charger.

Replace the auto -style terminals with solid copper lug ends. Far batter and make a Minh tighter connection.

As for a smart charger, unless you install a programmable inverter/charger like a Victron or Magnum, you still need a power source when on grid like s Progressive Dynamics PD 4655 or 9260.

Another option is a Victron Phoenix smart charger, which is essentially the charging section from their 12/2000 MultiPlus inverter/charger.


Lew Farber
__________________
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
SOLAR TECH ENERGY SYSTEMS, INC.
AM SOLAR ...MAGNUM…VICTRON ENERGY...LITHIUM & LIFELINE BATTERIESMARINE REFRIGERATION
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:59 AM   #39
Rivet Master
 
switz's Avatar

 
2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,308
Images: 8
In our 2014 Classic, we had four 6CT Lifeline (300 amp-hours at 6Vdc at 92 pounds each) batteries wired for 600 amp-hours and 12Vdc. All 368 pounds plus the custom stainless enclosure were mounted between the propane tanks and the front of the trailer. Tongue weight was 1,375 pounds camping ready. There is a Pro-Pride hitch installed since new.

We upgraded to a 600 amp-hour lithium (12Vdc and 168 pounds) battery and mounted it under the front sofa. So we removed the four Lifeline batteries and their enclosure and the tongue weight dropped to 1,175 pounds. That was also the tongue weight of our 2013 25FB International Serenity camping ready with the Hensley hitch installed and factory stock batteries in the usual box.

So placement of these larger batteries will have quite an impact on the weight and balance of the trailer.
__________________

__________________
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1992 Airstream B 190 118,000 miles new tires, alternator, 2 new batteries. eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 07-29-2013 08:50 AM
2 batteries outside and two batteries inside timmaah Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 14 08-25-2011 08:18 AM
Batteries Short...New Converter robandzoe Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 25 03-22-2005 12:38 PM
Batteries..All about batteries FrankR Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 0 07-17-2002 10:05 PM
Where should I install new batteries? Andy R Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 3 03-31-2002 11:01 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.