Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2015, 03:16 PM   #21
Winemaker

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
That's what I did but had to re-feed the cables through the top of the enclosure. If I attempted to feed them from the opening in back the cables would have to traverse the front of the board and would cover 1-2 fuse locations. Like I said, I don't know why they changed the lug locations on the new DC board. The enclosure did not have any hole locations so I had create a 1/2" hole to accept the new clamp assembly.
rgwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:03 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Victor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
They should fit. They are a bit shorter and a bit wider than the GPL-27T. I would still look into mounting them in a transverse orientation and compare the final position of the positive terminals relative to the edge of the battery box..
Sure enough, two Lifeline GPL-31XT batteries fit horizontally in the stock box, just like you thought, with only about an eighth of an inch in between to spare. I did have to cut off the lip of the box under the hinge side to fit them in, which was no problem at all. Excellent advice -- thank you for the ideas, Lewster and BoldAdventure. Now I'm rocking 250 amps and the wife's very happy!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0566.jpg
Views:	986
Size:	366.3 KB
ID:	237651  
Meddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:53 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Nice job! The only thing I would change is the arrangement of your output terminals.

It's always best to draw all of the positives from battery #1 and all of the negatives from battery #2. Thus will insure complete and even charge/discharge of the batteries.

I would also beef up the parallel connections between the batteries. For 125 A/H capacity, I would go no smaller than 1/0 and preferably 2/0.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:35 AM   #24
Damien

2023 30' Flying Cloud
Lafayette , Colorado
Nice battery upgrade Meddle,

I just acquired a 2012 27' FB International as well and the original batteries are as good as dead, probably due to being left completely discharged.

If I purchase the two Lifeline GPL-31XT batteries as you have, are there any other modifications that need to be done? I'm completely uneducated on the topic of charging.

Thanks
tot2learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:59 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
YES!

You need to change the converter to a smart 3 stage unit like the Progressive Dynamics PD 4655 or you will kill your expensive new Lifelines in short order!

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 05-05-2015, 11:29 AM   #26
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I have a 2001 Classic Excella with 2 battery boxes opening to the front that house two group 27 batteries. These pretty much take up all the available space. So far my batteries are in good shape but going on their 5th year so I may be looking to replace before too long. What is the largest Lifeline that would fit in the space I have and would they give improved service enough to justify the added cost ???

Thanks all in advance. See ya on the road sometime

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:21 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
I replaced my Parallax Converter with a Progressive Dynamics PD9260: 60 Amp Converter based on a recommendation from Lew. The swap out took about an hour and the new converter seems a lot quieter than the old one. When my batteries are worn out, I will replace them with Lifelines.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:43 AM   #28
Damien

2023 30' Flying Cloud
Lafayette , Colorado
Thanks Lewster. Sounds like the todo list is getting longer :-)

Lifeline batteries, new converter, and solar panels. Now if only I could find someone in Boulder, CO who can help me with all that...
tot2learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:58 AM   #29
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Road trip?????

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 05-10-2015, 06:58 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Victor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Nice job! The only thing I would change is the arrangement of your output terminals.
Excellent advice, Lewster -- thank you! I will be sure to rearrange the output terminals.

Does anyone know what the two cables with the blue crimps are for in the photo?

If anyone is familiar with a 2012 International 27FB, these set of cables enter the battery box from the street side, while the trailer "load" cables come in from the curbside. I am guessing they are either to the inverter or converter, not sure which however.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0567-2.jpg
Views:	789
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	238157  
Meddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:43 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Might be you inverter feed cables?

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 10-01-2016, 08:36 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I just put two Lifeline GPL-31XT in our battery box to be charged by our new PD 4655 converter. They will only fit sideways as shown in post 22 (ours looks exactly the same), with no space left for the center hold-down rod (less than 1/4"). There is space on the sides for the power cables on one side and inverter cables on the other.

The power cables have automotive-type lead lugs, a really tight fit on the batteries but they will work if positioned just right. You will need longer parallel cables between them, measure to be sure. Lew recommends 1/0 or preferably 2/0 cables, that makes good sense.

The Lifeline website lists the length of the GLP-31XT as 12.09 inches, they are actually 12 7/8 inches long, so consider that when measuring. You will need to cut away the forward upper lip of the battery box; remove the hinge rivets and cover and a Sawzall makes quick work of it. Again, they will not go in fore-aft position like the original batteries because of this actual length.

So 250 amp hours, two 12v batteries (in case one craps out we still have usable power), and a little more undesirable hitch weight on the FC 25. I may leave the spare tire and carrier at home for this year's winter travel in the South, we upgraded to exceptionally reliable Michelin 16" some time ago.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:14 PM   #33
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I just put two Lifeline GPL-31XT in our battery box to be charged by our new PD 4655 converter. They will only fit sideways as shown in post 22 (ours looks exactly the same), with no space left for the center hold-down rod (less than 1/4"). There is space on the sides for the power cables on one side and inverter cables on the other.

The power cables have automotive-type lead lugs, a really tight fit on the batteries but they will work if positioned just right. You will need longer parallel cables between them, measure to be sure. Lew recommends 1/0 or preferably 2/0 cables, that makes good sense.

The Lifeline website lists the length of the GLP-31XT as 12.09 inches, they are actually 12 7/8 inches long, so consider that when measuring. You will need to cut away the forward upper lip of the battery box; remove the hinge rivets and cover and a Sawzall makes quick work of it. Again, they will not go in fore-aft position like the original batteries because of this actual length.

So 250 amp hours, two 12v batteries (in case one craps out we still have usable power), and a little more undesirable hitch weight on the FC 25. I may leave the spare tire and carrier at home for this year's winter travel in the South, we upgraded to exceptionally reliable Michelin 16" some time ago.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:00 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
San Antonio , Texas
New to this but I read of an AS who put the battery outside but he got the lifeline Agm. Instead of two batteries he replaced it with one 4d or 8d and it cost less. After all in a dual battery system if one goes bad you replace both. Check it out.
Barbieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:22 PM   #35
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbieri View Post
New to this but I read of an AS who put the battery outside but he got the lifeline Agm. Instead of two batteries he replaced it with one 4d or 8d and it cost less. After all in a dual battery system if one goes bad you replace both. Check it out.
You can achieve more usable amp/hours by going with 2 GPL-6CT Lifeline 6VDC golf cart batteries over any 4D or 8D. The 4D is rated at 205 amp/hours and the 8D is 255 amp/hours. The GPL-6CTs are rated at 300 amp/hours.

I have seen several posts about wanting to use 12VDC batteries over the 6VDC golf cart style using the logic that 'if one golf cart battery goes bad, then you have no DC. Guess what???? If your single 4D or 8D goes bad, you STILL have no 12VDC.

In my 16 years of doing RV (and now marine) electrical and battery replacements, I have yet to see a single Lifeline 6VDC battery 'go bad' when installed in 2 or 4 battery systems. The plates are much thicker than 12VDC batteries and the glass mat and separator materials are tightly packed into the shell, leaving no room for any movement and potential shorting of the plates.

Choice is yours.......just a few professional comments from 'the field'.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:11 PM   #36
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Thanks, Lew. Them are some big boys (90# ea if I read the right chart), but I need to rebuild the battery box on this Silver Streak anyway. Now I have a goal as to size and strength.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:13 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
terre haute , Indiana
Lew,

The Lifeline GPL-4CT only comes with the MB threaded terminals. How do you attach the automotive style leads from the camper? The inverter leads are separate and have the round connectors so that should be no problem. I have a 2016 camper so the battery box seems to be perfectly sized for the GPL-4CT batteries.

What can I used to replace the Parallax 5300 converter with something with a smart charger? Has anyone replaced the 5300 with a smart charger.
jcwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #38
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwall View Post
Lew,

The Lifeline GPL-4CT only comes with the MB threaded terminals. How do you attach the automotive style leads from the camper? The inverter leads are separate and have the round connectors so that should be no problem. I have a 2016 camper so the battery box seems to be perfectly sized for the GPL-4CT batteries.

What can I used to replace the Parallax 5300 converter with something with a smart charger? Has anyone replaced the 5300 with a smart charger.

Replace the auto -style terminals with solid copper lug ends. Far batter and make a Minh tighter connection.

As for a smart charger, unless you install a programmable inverter/charger like a Victron or Magnum, you still need a power source when on grid like s Progressive Dynamics PD 4655 or 9260.

Another option is a Victron Phoenix smart charger, which is essentially the charging section from their 12/2000 MultiPlus inverter/charger.

Lew Farber
Old 10-11-2016, 09:59 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
In our 2014 Classic, we had four 6CT Lifeline (300 amp-hours at 6Vdc at 92 pounds each) batteries wired for 600 amp-hours and 12Vdc. All 368 pounds plus the custom stainless enclosure were mounted between the propane tanks and the front of the trailer. Tongue weight was 1,375 pounds camping ready. There is a Pro-Pride hitch installed since new.

We upgraded to a 600 amp-hour lithium (12Vdc and 168 pounds) battery and mounted it under the front sofa. So we removed the four Lifeline batteries and their enclosure and the tongue weight dropped to 1,175 pounds. That was also the tongue weight of our 2013 25FB International Serenity camping ready with the Hensley hitch installed and factory stock batteries in the usual box.

So placement of these larger batteries will have quite an impact on the weight and balance of the trailer.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote