Old 03-13-2019, 02:09 PM   #21
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Highplains View Post
We purchased a 2019 GT in January. It has AGM batteries. Maiden voyage was nothing but a huge electrical headache:
- Converter breakers flipped twice. Yes, we have a good surge protector at the 50 amp pedestal.
- Converter fuses blown. Pain in the *** to get to, but replaced both fuses.
- Fought battery draw down for 3 weeks, despite factory installed solar power for recharge. Yes, we used the Battery Disconnect Switch....and watched the batteries fall every day.
- Front jack non-operational.....replaced fuses 5 times.
We are taking it back to dealer on April 3 to have them look at the converter (I think a bad converter is the primary issue), look at the batteries, make sure the solar panels are connected properly such that they are charging the batteries, look at the jack.
I have had the AGM batteries on a battery tender in my heated garage for 2 weeks. They charge up, hold a charge for 4 or 5 days, then need a recharge from the tender. I suspect they are compromised. Once they fall below 11 V they are purportedly compromised........again, the converter is to blame in my opinion.
I am going to have them show me how to disconnect the Inverter and i will disconnect the sub-woofer. Never use it.
Honestly? I believe AS has reached the point of diminishing return with all the complicated-and-connected electrical systems.
This is our 2nd AS. Had we rented the first time and had this experience we would not have purchased a trailer. Would have gone with tents or hotels and avoided the headaches, stress and pissedoffedness. I think that is a word.
Hi 2Highplains,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issues you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*

Old 03-13-2019, 02:49 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
According to the frequency of posts, this is not an unusual problem with new trailers. Often batteries are beyond recharging when the trailer is driven off the lot. Store/Use switch doesn't kill all drains. A main battery disconnect at the batteries or wired so is the best solution.

Charged batteries should hold their charge for weeks not days with no drain. Your batteries are toast, perhaps because of a bad converter.

A competent PDI by your dealer should have caught all of this.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:00 PM   #23
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Not to worry...

....Airstream Inc. is on the case. 👍

Too bad the dealer hasn't a clue.
As noted a proper PDI should/would have prevented such a travesty.🥴

Bob
🇺🇸

"Just because you don't know how, doesn't mean you can’t."
Amanamus

"Never tow faster than your Guardian Angel can Fly"

Sweet Streams....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:21 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Just curious but you arenot using the emergency brake are you.? Or did i miss this?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:24 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
San Francisco , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMattern View Post
I have recently had electrical/battery issues with my 2016 30' Flying Cloud. Took it into AS dealer and they said I have dead batteries. I said "I had them checked by Autozone and they were fine. They held the charge and we hooked them up. After a week sitting in store mode - dead." AS still insisted it is the batteries. So, we threw out the batteries and bought expensive AGM Optima's. We only had one available for a weekend outing. We were hooked up to shore power the whole weekend and before we left from the weekend (unhooked from shore power) the new battery registered 12.6 - after towing it two hours home. One week later - in store mode - the battery registered 11.7. Six days later 5.6!!! It is NOT the batteries. Please help!!!
(we are currently trying desperately to save our new Optima with a charger)

First, remember to breath; this is fixable. I've been through the exact same and what others have posted is good. I have a 2016 19' Flying Cloud, came with the (2) standard 12v interstate batts. They died in 6 months. Replaced, died again, but the second time was the eye opener I store it the AS dealer in my area ($85/mo, great deal) it's stored outside and they are a full service center, so makes it worth it). Yet, being outside, it is NOT connected to shore, so naturally, the batts were draining. The second time batt death was on AS, as while it was put in Storage mode, they did NOT disengage the Battery Disconnect as mentioned here by others. The long of it was, Interstate just are a low grade batter in my book as even when I was plugged into shore with new batts, they, like you, fell to 5.6, then 4.9v.

My solution was to move over to (2) 6-volt Trojan batts and I installed the Zamp 100 Watt expandable solar, just one panel, enough to trickle charge the batts while in storage, and that, has worked great. I also feel on smaller trailers, going with the dual 6 volt is a better set up from my usage and drain testing. When dry camping, I regularly check the batts are they are as high as 14.0, avg at 13.8v, as the solar keeps them charged. That said, I arrive to pick up trailer the next time and the Trojan batts were dead. WTH?!

Turns out, as I noted above, while in storage, the crew did not disengage the Battery Disconnect, and with the solar it can still create a drain if the disconnect is not disengaged. Ultimately, the diconnect can be removed and set the system up a little differently to avoid this, but AS was good enough to replace the Trogans free of charge. I've had no issues since, but now considering going with the Expion360 batts.
Posse96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:08 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
There seems to be a lot of confusion here between a battery disconnect and the “store/use” button. The “store/use” button does NOT disconnect the battery. As has been mentioned, there are many parasitic loads that will drain your battery regardless of the position of this switch. It is not at all uncommon for the parasitic load to drain your batteries in a matter of days. No Airstream that I am aware of has a battery disconnect installed by Airstream (likely for liability reasons), but this is what is needed! If your Airstream sits for more than a few days not plugged in, you need to install one of these.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:17 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posse96 View Post
Turns out, as I noted above, while in storage, the crew did not disengage the Battery Disconnect,
Have you had an aftermarket "battery disconnect" installed on your trailer?
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:59 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Anyone having electrical or battery issues should go read the myriad of posts in the repair/batteries/converters section of this forum. This is a well known issue and the solutions are there for the taking. GFCI outlets have been known to fail, but are easy to replace. Everyone with a AS needs a decent multimeter.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:39 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMattern View Post
. . .
Well, the new batteries are dying too. Now what?
. . .
As the OP could you please update us . . . have you sorted out the battery/converter/charger issues?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:49 PM   #30

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Celebration , Florida
More on the issue...

We are still waiting on RVOne to get the "parts" to fix the GFCI breaker - that's what they say is wrong. They fired the guy who originally ordered it 1.5 months ago and yet he never ordered the parts. I called last week to check on the parts and they said "OH, we better order them." Still waiting. I know the breaker is not the problem to our battery issue, but it is true the breaker keeps flipping for no apparent reason. They say the fridge triggers it to trip. This last weekend while on shore power the breaker flipped at least 50 times. No joke.

The battery still does not charge - on shore power or car. We have been disconnecting the battery - that has worked. We do not use the inverter.
AJMattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:18 PM   #31
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Hope it gets fixed...👍

Hope that they took the time to test all the components that could trip the breaker and not take the shortcut directly to it.

Bob
🇺🇸

"Just because you don't know how, doesn't mean you can’t."
Amanamus

"Never tow faster than your Guardian Angel can Fly"

Sweet Streams....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote