Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-06-2016, 11:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
1971 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 98
New 6V batteries, Boondocker and fuse q's

I'm moving the 12V flooded battery on my 71 Sovereign (rear bath) to the street side under the twin bed. The original battery was mounted in the rear compartment.

The original layout had a fuse on the negative battery wire going to the Univolt. From what I've been reading, I should move the fuse to the positive side. What amp fuse should I use?

The other question I have is about wiring the converter. Last year I ditched the Univolt and installed a 60amp Boondocker and new fuse panel. For the last year the electrical has been fine. I wired the 120V to the Boondocker, then to the fuse panel. Then I wired the battery + and - to the fuse panel. So when I'm on shore power electricity flows through the converter to the fuse panel. When I'm on battery, electricity goes right to the fuse panel. Why are people wiring their batteries to the converter?

Thanks
__________________

__________________
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:05 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
 
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaCraig View Post
I'm moving the 12V flooded battery on my 71 Sovereign (rear bath) to the street side under the twin bed. The original battery was mounted in the rear compartment.

The original layout had a fuse on the negative battery wire going to the Univolt. From what I've been reading, I should move the fuse to the positive side. What amp fuse should I use?

The other question I have is about wiring the converter. Last year I ditched the Univolt and installed a 60amp Boondocker and new fuse panel. For the last year the electrical has been fine. I wired the 120V to the Boondocker, then to the fuse panel. Then I wired the battery + and - to the fuse panel. So when I'm on shore power electricity flows through the converter to the fuse panel. When I'm on battery, electricity goes right to the fuse panel. Why are people wiring their batteries to the converter?

Thanks
Put the same value fuse on the positive side.

Connecting the converter directly to the battery helps avoid voltage losses with longer wire runs.

Bruce
__________________

__________________
50 amp, Awning package
2015 Ram 2500 6.7 TD, Blue Ox 1000 lb.
4 Lifeline AGM, Trimetric 2020
PD9160 converter, Prosine 1800 inverter
2x eu2000i Propane
AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaCraig View Post
I'm moving the 12V flooded battery on my 71 Sovereign (rear bath) to the street side under the twin bed. The original battery was mounted in the rear compartment.



The original layout had a fuse on the negative battery wire going to the Univolt. From what I've been reading, I should move the fuse to the positive side. What amp fuse should I use?



The other question I have is about wiring the converter. Last year I ditched the Univolt and installed a 60amp Boondocker and new fuse panel. For the last year the electrical has been fine. I wired the 120V to the Boondocker, then to the fuse panel. Then I wired the battery + and - to the fuse panel. So when I'm on shore power electricity flows through the converter to the fuse panel. When I'm on battery, electricity goes right to the fuse panel. Why are people wiring their batteries to the converter?



Thanks

Any fuse is positioned in the circuit as an over current device and as such, should be rated to the ampacity of the wire used for that circuit.

Example: if your cable is 10AWG, you would need a 30A fuse on that cable, which is the maximum rating for 10 AWG cable.

Consult the readily available ampacity tables for the rating for the wire in question. Remember that the purpose of any over current device is to protect the wire from potentially receiving an excess of current and burning or melting.


Lew Farber
__________________
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
SOLAR TECH ENERGY SYSTEMS, INC.
AM SOLAR ...MAGNUM…VICTRON ENERGY...LITHIUM & LIFELINE BATTERIESMARINE REFRIGERATION
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:49 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
 
Morgan guy's Avatar
 
2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 262
Make sure in your new battery placement that you have allowed for ventilation. Flooded batteries can release hydrogen which can be explosive.
__________________
The Tex-i-can is Ready to Camp
Morgan guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:56 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
1971 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 98
Ooops. I meant to say I went from a 12V flooded Trojan to 2 6V Lifeline AGM batteries.

The original wire from the battery to the Univolt was 6 gauge with a 50amp fuse. Since I've now moved the batteries to under the street side twin I think I added about 1-2 feet in length so I think I'm still fine with a 50amp fuse. I'll put one on both the + and the - sides. Thanks for the replies.
__________________
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaCraig View Post
Ooops. I meant to say I went from a 12V flooded Trojan to 2 6V Lifeline AGM batteries.

The original wire from the battery to the Univolt was 6 gauge with a 50amp fuse. Since I've now moved the batteries to under the street side twin I think I added about 1-2 feet in length so I think I'm still fine with a 50amp fuse. I'll put one on both the + and the - sides. Thanks for the replies.
You only need one on the positive side since any over-current event will blow the fuse and interrupt the circuit. I would highly recommend the new MRBF fuses as they attach directly to the battery positive bolt and are extremely compact with a high amperage interrupt capacity (AIC) rating.

Since this is a series connection, I would definitely upgrade your series connection cable to a minimum of 2/0. This connection should be of the same size and ampacity as the internal bus bars inside the battery since you are essentially making one large 6-cell 12VDC battery from 2 6VDC 3-cell units with that series connection.

Also remember that you can position Lifelines in any orientation EXCEPT terminals down.
__________________
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
SOLAR TECH ENERGY SYSTEMS, INC.
AM SOLAR ...MAGNUM…VICTRON ENERGY...LITHIUM & LIFELINE BATTERIESMARINE REFRIGERATION
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:50 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
1971 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 98
Thanks lewster. I ordered one of those MRBF fuse holders and a fuse.
I did use a 2 gauge wire to connect the 2 batteries together.

I have a solar question for you. I bought 2 Renogy 100W panels (AM Solar is out of stock or I would have gotten theirs) and the Trimetric and SC-2030 solar controller. I did get the adjustable mounts from AM Solar. Do you have any experience with this controller? The instructions says the fins can get hot. I wanted to mount it under the twin bed with the batteries but maybe there's not enough air circulation under there. The next place I thought I could mount it would be on the back wall of the double pantry. There probably isn't much circulation there either but there is more volume of air.

Thanks.
__________________
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaCraig View Post
Thanks lewster. I ordered one of those MRBF fuse holders and a fuse.
I did use a 2 gauge wire to connect the 2 batteries together.

I have a solar question for you. I bought 2 Renogy 100W panels (AM Solar is out of stock or I would have gotten theirs) and the Trimetric and SC-2030 solar controller. I did get the adjustable mounts from AM Solar. Do you have any experience with this controller? The instructions says the fins can get hot. I wanted to mount it under the twin bed with the batteries but maybe there's not enough air circulation under there. The next place I thought I could mount it would be on the back wall of the double pantry. There probably isn't much circulation there either but there is more volume of air.

Thanks.
Craig,

Sorry, but i never use the TriMetric products as all of my installations are either with Blue Sky MPPT controllers of Victron MPPT units and their respective battery monitor functions.

If it says it gets hot, I would be doubly sure that you have more than adequate ventilation where ever you will be mounting the solar controller.
__________________
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
SOLAR TECH ENERGY SYSTEMS, INC.
AM SOLAR ...MAGNUM…VICTRON ENERGY...LITHIUM & LIFELINE BATTERIESMARINE REFRIGERATION
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:05 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
1971 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 98
Thanks. I'm going to call Bogart and ask them where I should put it.
__________________

__________________
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Univolt to Powermax Boondocker and FB-9 control panel on 1972 Ambassador davidlaxson Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 6 06-17-2012 05:53 PM
Univolt to Powermax boondocker with new FB-9 circuit panel davidlaxson Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 0 01-24-2012 09:08 PM
Boondocker Solar Package flyrodder Generators & Solar Power 9 12-21-2004 03:54 PM
Ultimate Bambi Boondocker? Pick Our Community 5 11-10-2003 01:47 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.