Old 01-31-2010, 07:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Landenberg , Pennsylvania
New 67 Caravelle-NO DC power

Hi, I got my new 67 Caravelle home yesterday and parked it by the stream just before the snow came.

I hooked up AC to it and all the AC outlets seem to work OK. There is, however, no DC power! I can hear a hum which sounds like the transformer (univolt?). I do not have a battery hooked up. Two DC fuses on the side of the city/battery box look ok.

The Caravelle has been sitting for 10 years. Any ideas as to where to start on the DC problem. Today I was going to take my meter out and try to test the output of the univolt. By the way, does this transformer act as a charger for the battery as well?

What amp battery should I use with this little gem?

If I need to replace the univolt--my diagram says it produces 12v and 19v. Is there a replacement that duplicates that?

Thanks

Old 01-31-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
apache junction , Arizona
I had the same problem with my univolt. I took the cover off and there was what seemed to be a circuit break type device on side that was burned out (one wire to each side) i replace it with a resettable 20amp breaker and it has worked great ever since. It does charge the battery as well. I have a switch on my univolt so it only kicks on when needed. Hope this helps

Old 01-31-2010, 09:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
What your calling a Univolt, as Airstream also called it, is nothing more than a dual output voltage transformer. It really has nothing to do with a battery charger, since within itself, it cannot charge the battery.

There are 2 switches controlling what energy source that's fed to the 12 volt system.

If the switches are on city power, and your plugged in to city power, then all should be fine.

If however, the switches are on battery, since you do not have a battery in the trailer, nothing will work, when your on city power or not.

With the power supply you have, the 12 volt AC output feeds the lights. The 19 volt AC output, feeds the fans.

You can update the system by installing a regular Univolt, that supplies power to charge the battery and to operate all the lights and fans. It's not a big deal to change out the system.

Andy
Old 01-31-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
apache junction , Arizona
Just went and checked mine in AS it says Airstream Univolt III automatic battery charger and power supply, Model 35. Don't know if it is original to 69 but works great.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooksey69 View Post
Just went and checked mine in AS it says Airstream Univolt III automatic battery charger and power supply, Model 35. Don't know if it is original to 69 but works great.
What you have is original.

Use due caution though, as they fail typically when a power surge is encountered.

Airstream did not have a surge protector built into the old Univolts.

Andy
Old 02-01-2010, 06:54 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2007 27' Safari FB SE
clarification

In my 67 Caravel then, it's just a transformer, correct? NO battery charging from it. I see no breakers on the side of mine. Must be older than the one with the breaker on the side.

My experience was that without the battery installed in the side compartment and hooked up I was getting no 12v or 19v.

Only when I hooked up the battery did I get 12v--the 19v side still did not work.

How can I tell for sure if this transformer is actually working?

What's the best unit to replace this transformer with?
Old 02-01-2010, 07:06 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2007 27' Safari FB SE
One more question:

In my battery bay: there are two wires that have looped ends to go on the battery terminals and seem to dissappear into the birds nest of wires behind the control box. There are two more looped ends that go on the battery terminals and connect to a two pronged plug that plugs into a male two pronged connector that appears to go into the control box. Is this normal?
Old 02-01-2010, 08:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
I uploaded some docs from the manual here. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...tml#post802615

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonzellen View Post
In my 67 Caravel then, it's just a transformer, correct? NO battery charging from it. I see no breakers on the side of mine. Must be older than the one with the breaker on the side.

My experience was that without the battery installed in the side compartment and hooked up I was getting no 12v or 19v.

Only when I hooked up the battery did I get 12v--the 19v side still did not work.

How can I tell for sure if this transformer is actually working?

What's the best unit to replace this transformer with?
The 19 volts is AC only. It has nothing to do with the DC.

Did you find the 2 switches that switch from city power to battery power?

There are several converter systems. Airstream has used the same Univolt for many years with very good results.

Unfortunately, the word Univolt has been used by Airstream for 46 years. What a Univolt was then has nothing to do with what it is today.

Andy
Old 02-02-2010, 08:04 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2007 27' Safari FB SE
AC/DC Caravel

With the battery installed, everything seems to work properly now.

I took all the old wire connectors off, re stripped and put new wire nuts on. That may have helped.

Are all the connections next to the battery/city box connections for the 7 pin plug?
Old 02-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #11
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonzellen View Post
With the battery installed, everything seems to work properly now.

I took all the old wire connectors off, re stripped and put new wire nuts on. That may have helped.

Are all the connections next to the battery/city box connections for the 7 pin plug?
Check the volatge with the trailer plugged in, and unplugged, to verify operation of the transformer/converter/univolt/whatever-you-want-to-call-it, voltage should be higher plugged in and turned on. The connections next to the battery should be for internal lighting and power supply, the access to the 7 wire from the tow vehicle should be in the belly pan, near the front step. Look for a small cover that is screwed in place.

Tags
caravelle