Old 06-11-2019, 03:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Driftwood , Texas
New 6 Volt Batteries - How to Wire

I have recently modified the battery box on my 2016 Flying Cloud to accommodate 2 220 amp hour 6 Volt AGM batteries from FullRiver. I'm ready to rewire the batteries and want to be certain that I get it right. I'm such an idiot when it comes to electrical matters that I thought it wise to ask for confirmation. The old configuration and planned new wiring are below. Does this look correct? Thanks for the help.

12 Volt Battery Configuration

Street Side Battery - Positive Terminal
(1) Small black wire to jack
(2) Red cable exiting box on street side of A/S
(3) Red cable to positive terminal post of curb side battery

Street Side Battery - Negative Terminal
(4) Black cable exiting box on street side of A/S
(5) Black cable to negative terminal of curb side battery

Curb Side Battery - Positive Terminal
(6) Red cable exiting box on curb side of A/S
(3) Red cable to positive terminal post of street side battery

Curb Side Battery - Negative Terminal
(7) Black cable exiting box on curb side of A/S
(5) Black cable to negative terminal of street side battery

Planned 6 Volt Battery Configuration

Street Side Battery -Positive Terminal
Cables 1, 2 and 6

Cable to positive terminal of curb side battery

Curb Side Battery -Positive Terminal
Cable from negative terminal of street side battery

Cables 4 and 7

wgjairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:08 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Huntington , New York

Sometimes a picture helps.

This is how my 2016 is wired with two LIFELINE 6v batteries.
When I switched to two 6v from one 12v, I was told to group the positives on one terminal and put the negatives on another. Because I installed a BMV-712 battery monitor, all my negatives were routed into the trailer so ignore the fact that I only have one negative ground and you would have more.

so I have both a URL and and IMG link but nothing shows-up.
Sorry. Frustrating that Airforums so so difficult when every other place I post I can just upload and it's hosted on the forum.

AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Here is a picture from etrailer.com.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 6V Batteries.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	343027  
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Here’s a link to a site with tons of great info including diagrams of 12 and 6 volt setups for RVs. Maybe this will help? If you’re not sure, your local RV dealer may be able to help.

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:59 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Driftwood , Texas
Thanks for the input. All the pictures I had been able to find reflected only one positive and one ground cable coming off the pair of 6 Volts . . . and I will have two positive cables coming off one battery and 2 ground cables coming off the other.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
That does not matter but I would like to gently suggest that you have someone more savvy about electrical systems look at what you are doing, just to be sure. Your questions sort of scare me.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I agree with an earlier post. The OP needs to get someone to help him with this connection.

Regarding the nice picture above, I can't see a negative ground back to the trailer. Hooking up the two 6's you go negative to positive to negative ending at the positive terminal. You have a negative terminal in the lower left and a positive in the lower right. Hook all the positive leads to the red one and the negative, or grounds, to the black one. Why is nothing connected to the negative terminal? Have they change things since they made my 2006?
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
WHOOPS. Just looked again. Too early in the morning apparently for me. Sorry. It is all there.

Nice job posting this picture. It tells the whole story.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:04 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
The easy way to think of this is that when you cable the two batteries together - to +, that is the ONLY wire you attach to those two terminals. You now have one 12V battery that looks like two boxes tied together.

ALL remaining positive cables will now go to the remaining unused positive post regardless of where they come from.

ALL remaining negative cables will go to the remaining negative post.

You can get plastic terminal covers from the auto parts store if you need to cover the battery connection cable terminals to remind yourself not to attach anything else to those two terminals
thezoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:09 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Huntington , New York
@wgjairstream: I would recommend that you identify the purpose of each of the cables you mark above because a black cable on your trailer might be a red cable on some else's. Usually, the way to start any wiring job is to take a picture of what it looks like before you start disassembling things, mark each wire with where it went and what you believe it does, make your changes and then reconnect.

I'm hesitant to reply directly to your question is that if you make the wrong assumption for what these unmarked wires are, 220 ah of 12v DC current can ruin your day if attached to the wrong place. I STRONGLY recommend you read @idbrodsky's post and unless you have some strong electrical background, reassemble everything to make sure it works with the original batteries, take pictures and proceed slowly. At least, post the before picture here. Wiring 12v DC really isn't rocket science but despite 20-yrs in the electrical industry, I respect this stuff enough that I remove the grounds before doing anything, label everything and have a written plan before rewiring. For me that applies to old cars wiring at only 6v all the way to these golf cart batteries in the trailer which just happen to me mounted below two 30# propane tanks which are capable of venting LP.

For general conversation, I've included a picture from my 2016 FC 25FB Battery Compartment into which I installed Lifeline AGM's. In this photo, you see a system that was optimized so there is only one negative connection making it possible to install a BMV-712 monitor. Since you or someone else will be messing with the wiring anyway, and since a battery monitor is the only way to really know how to manage your battery/boondocking, this would be a good time to factor in the common ground approach. Either way, while there are two schools of thought when connecting to 12v batteries by using either of the two POS and NEG terminals, for a system like this where you are bridging two 6V to make one 12V cell, you can only connect at the remaining unbonded NEG and POS terminals.

You should see all of your wires here except for the inverter negative which was re-routed into the trailer to the common ground. Should you feel comfortable moving forward DIY, take a look at how the positive connections were aligned so they lay next to each other, not on top thus ensuring totally flat contacts with the heavy cable below the lighter cable. Also, shrink tubing just behind the ring is a cheap safety precaution.

Post your "before" picture and perhaps we can give some better direction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 FC 25FB Battery Compartment Labeled.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	343115  
Old 06-12-2019, 09:53 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgjairstream View Post
I have recently modified the battery box on my 2016 Flying Cloud to accommodate 2 220 amp hour 6 Volt AGM batteries from FullRiver. I'm ready to rewire the batteries and want to be certain that I get it right. I'm such an idiot when it comes to electrical matters that I thought it wise to ask for confirmation. The old configuration and planned new wiring are below. Does this look correct? Thanks for the help.

12 Volt Battery Configuration

Street Side Battery - Positive Terminal
(1) Small black wire to jack
(2) Red cable exiting box on street side of A/S
(3) Red cable to positive terminal post of curb side battery

(4) Black cable exiting box on street side of A/S
(5) Black cable to negative terminal of curb side battery

Curb Side Battery - Positive Terminal
(6) Red cable exiting box on curb side of A/S
(3) Red cable to positive terminal post of street side battery

(7) Black cable exiting box on curb side of A/S
(5) Black cable to negative terminal of street side battery

Planned 6 Volt Battery Configuration

Street Side Battery -Positive Terminal
Cables 1, 2 and 6

Cable to positive terminal of curb side battery

Curb Side Battery -Positive Terminal
Cable from negative terminal of street side battery

Cables 4 and 7

This is correct.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:40 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Driftwood , Texas
Thanks again for all the input . . . especially to Al & Missy.

AirstreamCSH, to put your mind somewhat at ease, I took a picture of the original configuration and made a detailed hand sketch of the original and my planned configuration. I even had to reinstall the 12 volts after having taken them out due to some bad weather that rolled in last week. (Needed to move the trailer to the barn for shelter).

I agree I could have been better in describing the cables as positive and negative vs black and red, but I knew with certainty the polarity of each cable.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:08 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Huntington , New York
@wgjairstream - Glad to hear that. A forum is a difficult place sometimes to give feedback to as it lacks the body language cues that a conversation does. Every time I've come here for help, people have tried their best and it's a great place to ask for advice. You'll be very happy with the 6v upgrade.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:36 PM   #14
WBCCI # 23456

2000 30' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Battery Connections

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Here is a picture from etrailer.com.
You are correct, Sir.

jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote