Old 04-07-2011, 07:13 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
Question New 30 amp plug needed

I am in need of a 30 amp male plug for the streams main power cable.

The old one is the original and the insulation is pulling out of the molded

plug. I would like to replace this with a quality plug however all that I

have found at camping world, home depot, and Lowes look and feel like

cheap plastic and that they might break the first time you drop it. I have

an electrical and electronics background and in these fields you will find

that Hubbell has the best quality plugs around you can simply drive over

them with a fork lift and continue to use it. Does any one know where I

can get an RV plug of this quality? I really don't care how much it cost.

Am I asking to much?

Old 04-07-2011, 07:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream 30 amp plugs are the same type used in yachts. Because of salt water exposure, these cords and plugs are the best available. Try West Marine or a marine parts store.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
I bought one at a local RV shop like the one below. I didn't see anything like it in regular hardware stores.... Seems pretty nice quality. I really like the handle on it but it was too big to fit through my access hole in the bumper. I need to enlarge the access hole.

Oh yeah - now I remember - I DID buy the first one (not like the one above) from Lowes and when I tightened the screw to secure the plug back together, it broke! Ha.

Laura
Old 04-07-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by handn View Post
Airstream 30 amp plugs are the same type used in yachts. Because of salt water exposure, these cords and plugs are the best available. Try West Marine or a marine parts store.
I looked at a few howerver I can only find 30 amp twist lock marine plugs.

Am I just missing this?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
I bought one at a local RV shop like the one below. I didn't see anything like it in regular hardware stores.... Seems pretty nice quality. I really like the handle on it but it was too big to fit through my access hole in the bumper. I pull it in real tight but (still) need to enlarge the access hole.

Oh yeah - now I remember - I DID buy the first one (not like the one above) from Lowes and when I tightened the screw to secure the plug back together, it broke! Ha.

Laura
I remember seeing one like this in Campingworld. It felt cheap, how has your held up to wear and tear?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I still have the molded-on one on my trailer cord, and on my extension cord I soldered an end from an extra dogbone. So I can't speak from personal experience, other than to say that with judicious use of solder and shrinkwrap the dogbone one has worked out pretty well.

Leviton makes a retrofit plug that looks similar to their 50a plugs which are fairly tough and well designed, if a bit bulky:

Leviton 830-T - 30A, 125V, NEMA TT-30P, 2P, 3W, Plug, Straight Blade :: Commercial Grade :: Straight Blade Plugs & Connectors :: Receptacles :: Wiring Devices :: Electrical :: Electrical and Industrial Supplies - Galesburg Electric Supply

Amazon.com: Leviton 830-T 30 Amp, 125 Volt, Travel Trailer Vinyl Grounding Angle Plug, Black: Home Improvement
Old 04-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
If you're not happy with the replacements available, you can purchase a complete new cord that has the molded end, just like your trailer came with when new.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck21084 View Post
I looked at a few howerver I can only find 30 amp twist lock marine plugs.

Am I just missing this?
I misspoke, only the female ends of Airstream plugs are like yacht plugs.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby View Post
If you're not happy with the replacements available, you can purchase a complete new cord that has the molded end, just like your trailer came with when new.
The Marinco ends are well enough made that they can outlast a cord and plug, so you can save a few bucks and get a new cord with only one end on it (readily available at RV places) and reuse the Marinco connector.

The only problem with that is that the quality of the complete cords is itself a little, uh, uneven.

I don't believe Hubbel or P&S make a TT-30 plug. Since the NEC doesn't permit their use for anything but RVs there's no industrial use and so we get the RV quality level.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We've been using one of these on Lucy for the last several years. We put this plug end on Lucy's OEM power cord after the original plug partially melted due to a faulty 50amp/30amp adapter.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5933.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	126292  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
The Marinco ends are well enough made that they can outlast a cord and plug, so you can save a few bucks and get a new cord with only one end on it (readily available at RV places) and reuse the Marinco connector.

The only problem with that is that the quality of the complete cords is itself a little, uh, uneven.

I don't believe Hubbel or P&S make a TT-30 plug. Since the NEC doesn't permit their use for anything but RVs there's no industrial use and so we get the RV quality level.
This makes since. I guess I will just accept defeat and get the one you mentioned in and earlier post. It should do the job.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
I was told they didn't have because it would be too easy to make an extension cord, which would increase the amount of heat produced at the connections and change the required wire size due to length.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck21084 View Post
I remember seeing one like this in Campingworld. It felt cheap, how has your held up to wear and tear?

I can't say that mine has seen much wear and tear but it appears much better quality than the ones I saw at Lowes. I also noticed several new A/S with a similar plug. When I inquired on this forum, I was pointed towards this plug. If you have access to more quality plugs - certainly *go for it*.

Below is the one that BROKE on installation - right at the point where you see the hex nut. That felt a lot cheaper initially too.

Laura
Old 04-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
I would do it right and buy the full cord and re wire it into the junction box. I am a industrial electrician and deal with industrial 480v plugs for welding machines and large a/c portable units. We go into each plug before using it after a equipment move. You would be surprised the problems of a loose wire. I am talking about 200-300 dollar power connectors that are cast aluminum with pencil size stab posts.

I just replaced my total pigtail to my excella and it only took about ten minutes. I now have the molded head where the wires can't move around when you drop the head on the ground or into your bumper box.
1. its an outdoor connection
2. Its 220V
3. It can go phase to phase inside the aftermarket connector and blow out
4. The wiring can be stressed and pulled on if there is a stiff connection.
5. Then you can make a new extension cord with your old pigtail and use the after market connectors. It will not see much use but you have it if you need it. I would check these at least yearly.

Tags
30 amp, rv plug, replace