Old 05-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2012 16' Sport
Scottsdale , Arizona
New 2012 battery dying hmm

We noticed that after only 3 short trips , our battery dies while it's parked between those outings. It's brand new as is the AS. Nothing is running, the radio/stereo is off and we make sure the power is off , of course, when we leave it. Baffling (for a newbie).

BAAMbi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #2

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
"Power is off" meaning the Store/Use switch is in "Store"?

How long is it taking for the battery to run down? And when you say the radio is off, do you mean there's no power to it? Or it just isn't operating? If it remembers the stations you set, it's still getting power from somewhere.

It's widely reported that the propane detector in modern trailers pulls directly from the battery regardless of the state of the store/use switch. I don't know if the standby power for the radio is direct or not.

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
The same thing happened to us. We had them replaced under warranty. Keep your eye on the water. We leave our shore power plugged in with switch off and it still cooked them.
Hope is not a plan.
danlehosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I once checked my Safari (2001) and found with the master disconnect switch in the on position, I was pulling .1 of an amp. With the disconnect in the off postion, I found I was pulling .01 of an amp (which I attributed to the LP detector).

After doing the math figuring time stored between usage and the amp hour capacity of the battery, I pretty much figured out that I'd better use the master disconnect between trips, and even when those trips were few and far between, when using the switch, the battery would be pretty feeble when I attempted to use that power jack to hitch up.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
I suggest to get a small solar panel to keep the batteries charged in storage. I got a 50 Watt installed on mine by the dealer
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
2012 16' Sport
Scottsdale , Arizona
Thanks all! We'll keep our eye on the battery this summer , look at solar....then maybe hit the warranty route. It's so frustrating when you just want to go and do a few things. And I like to go in at night when the sun goes down.

BAAMbi7 is offline   Reply With Quote