Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Prince George , British Columbia
need to replace my univolt, but with what???

hey everyone, i need to replace my univolt, but i am having a problem deciding with what? and what size?
the Intelapower seems to be popular, but what size should i get, we have a 77 23 ft Safari?
any suggestions would be good
thanks and have a great day
nkeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
The IP with chargewizard is a good choice and I think the WFCO is another with a good battery maintenance mode.

For RV's, a converter that has intelligent, 2 or 3 stage charging plus a maintenance mode that will keep a full charge and use some technique to inhibit sulfation is a good way to keep batteries healthy and long lived.

As for size, most folks don't need much more than 40 amps or so. That will charge 2 batteries at a proper clip and take care of most common loads. But, if you spend a lot of time connected to grid power and use a lot of 12v accessories, you might want a converter with a bit more capability. Excess capability doesn't hurt.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Bryan is correct. Most people over size. For a 23 footer and one or two batteries a 45 amp unit is all you need. 25-31 footers I recommend 55 amps. I have been basing this for years on the general number of DC accesories in a typical RV and I'm usually on target but ocassionally a rock band will call and want to rehearse in their RV and then it gets a little complicated...Kidding aside, all you need is 8 AWG for 45 and preferably 6 AWG for 55 and I would personally buy as large a unit as the wiring to the battery will handle. Good luck.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote