Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2004, 09:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Need to purchase 2 batteries by Friday...help

I have had some work done on my camper over the winter. I converted the disc brakes to electric drum brakes. I had to replace my univolt converter as the original one was not working...don't know why. I also had to get two 30 pound propane tanks installed with a new type of valve.

Anyway, I am going to pick up my rig this weekend and the man doing the work mentioned for me to purchase 2 deep cell marine batteries to install in the two separate compartments which are in the front of my rig accessed behind the old master brake cylinder compartment. When I purchased it in October, it had no batteries.

What size batteries will fit in there. I saw some at the store that said a group 24??? and some that said a group 27???

I planned on buying these batteries from walmart from the recommendation of the man doing the work. He said they would be fine and if I were travelling and needed warranty replacements, Walmarts are everywhere. Makes sense to me.

Can anyone out there recommend which battery to purchase there and what size?

Thanks for your help.

Rob.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:20 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The group 24's will fit for sure. The group 27's will be close. Most group 27's will fit, but not all of them do. So if you want a guaranteed fit go for group 24's. Also check the manufacturers date on the batteries. You want to try to get a matched set if possible. IF they can be the same age, that is good. Same lot that is great.

Minor differences in the batteries can cause the charger to over charge or undercharge one of the batteries, leading to premature failure of one or both batteries.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 07:17 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Pusher
I have had some work done on my camper over the winter. I converted the disc brakes to electric drum brakes. I had to replace my univolt converter as the original one was not working...don't know why. I also had to get two 30 pound propane tanks installed with a new type of valve.

Anyway, I am going to pick up my rig this weekend and the man doing the work mentioned for me to purchase 2 deep cell marine batteries to install in the two separate compartments which are in the front of my rig accessed behind the old master brake cylinder compartment. When I purchased it in October, it had no batteries.

What size batteries will fit in there. I saw some at the store that said a group 24??? and some that said a group 27???

I planned on buying these batteries from walmart from the recommendation of the man doing the work. He said they would be fine and if I were travelling and needed warranty replacements, Walmarts are everywhere. Makes sense to me.

Can anyone out there recommend which battery to purchase there and what size?

Thanks for your help.

Rob.
Measure the depth of the compartment. Depending on how deep it is, you could use a group 24, 27, 29, or 31. If you post back here, we can tell you what the max size you can put in there is. Bigger is better, in this case.
Terry
Old 04-28-2004, 07:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

I have an argosy 20 and the batt compartment is small. My T105
golf cart batt would not fit...One optima will fit....I put another in the closet. ( they don't really need venting )
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 07:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Group 27

I also have a '77 Excella 500 and Delco Voyager deep cycle grp. 27 105 amp hr batteries fit just fine with no room to spare. I did find that the Duralast grp 27 deep cycle batteries were around 1/4" too long, would not sit in the bottom of the compartment and would not let me close the door all the way. I have 3 yrs. on these maintenance free batteries and have been more than pleased with them.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 08:02 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave
I have an argosy 20 and the batt compartment is small. My T105
golf cart batt would not fit...One optima will fit....I put another in the closet. ( they don't really need venting )
Lucky you. I have room for a group 26 in mine, with no room to spare.
Terry
Old 04-28-2004, 08:09 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

thanks for the reply. I will look at the 27's tomorrow and the 26's. Onto cosmetic things next. It is fun though. I like antiques!!!

Rob.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:46 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Pusher
thanks for the reply. I will look at the 27's tomorrow and the 26's. Onto cosmetic things next. It is fun though. I like antiques!!!

Rob.
Rob, a groups 26 is a tiny battery, not even produced as a deep cycle battery. It is roughly the size it would take to start a Yugo. Don't ask what A/S was thinking when they put that small a tray in my trailer.
The deep cycle batteries are, in order of size, from smallest to largest:
24, 27, 29, 31.
If you want truly huge batteries, you could look at a 4D and 8D, but I don't think there is a snowball's chance in Florida either would fit.
Good luck.
Terry
Old 04-29-2004, 09:43 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Two words.....

Die Hard

Been using 'em for over 15 years among 3 cars, one boat and eventually an RV. The one I just replaced in my Oldsmobeater was 8 years old!

If they have the right size, I'd surely go that route. Sears is also everywhere.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 07:41 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Thank you for all of the replies.

I am still shopping around.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:53 AM   #11
Don McKelvay

1994 34' Limited
London , Ontario
Batteries

For what it is worth, despite my good friend praising the Die Hards, at one of the Airstream rallies the speaker said the Die Hards were not good as they tended to boil at a low voltage when being charged - much lower than almost any other battery.
I have always used Interstate batteries and usually get about 8 years out of them. Having solar panels and the resultant continuous charging certainly helps. However, I have been seriously thinking about AGMs - Lifeliner (but expensive at $160 US for a group 27) or the Optima Blue Marine (for $140). From everything I have heard the Lifeliner is a superb battery for our use. I see Excide is also marketing a AGM very similar to the Optima. Here in Canada Canadian Tire has them for $170 CDN or $120 US. My problem is I now have 4 group 27s in my trailer and you need to replace all of them when one or two go.
Don McKelvay is offline   Reply With Quote