Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 20
Kingsville , Ontario
Need some help with my converter switch out

I've goy a 73 Argosy with a converter that hums like a sick sewing machine.

I recently purchased a 4 stage Boondocker converter and new fuse panel from Randy at Best Converter who has been a great help.

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with a white mystery wire going into the existing panel.

The first image is the old beast.

The second image is my crude wiring diagram of the existing.

The third image is the back of the new boondocker converter.

The fourth image is the new fuse panel.

The fifth image is what I think should happen, just got to figure out where that white wire goes.

Also looking for some advise on how to ground the new one, and selecting proper blade fuses.

Hope someone can help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the_old_beast.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	206503   Click image for larger version

Name:	existing_converter.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	206504  

Name:	back_of_new_boondocker.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	206505   Click image for larger version

Name:	new_fuse_panel.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	651.5 KB
ID:	206506  

Name:	new_wiring_diagram.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	206507  
roostreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The white wire probably attaches to the frame of the trailer to serve as an electrical return for 12v loads.

If so, it should be attached to the negative bus on the new panel, along with the negative connection to the battery and the negative connection to the converter.

Rather than connect the positive battery lead directly to the converter, you will want to connect it to one of the large positive lugs on the new panel. Then, you will also want to run a heavy-gauge wire from the positive output on the converter to another of the positive lugs on the panel.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Yea, the white wire appears to be a ground wire. The problem is with AC circuits, white is neutral, or ground, and with DC circuits, black is usually negative, or ground, and in Airstreams they seem to have no standard.

To be certain, you need a multimeter to check for first, voltage, and then continuity to ground.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The large red wire goes to the + on the battery. The large white wire goes to the frame of the Argosy as that was used as the negative return for all the power to the branch circuits. The black wire on the other end of the terminal block in the first photo will go to the negative battery post.

So, on your new fuse block: The original large white and black wires will go to the terminal block on the left side of the photo. A new wire #6 to 10 (I would suggest white wire but black is OK) will go from the negative terminal of your new converter to that same fuse block terminal. That will complete the negative side of your install.

A new +12 volt large wire (# 6 to 10, red) will go from your converter to any one of the three large terminals on the top of the new fuse panel. The current large red wire will go to a second of the three large terminals. The third large terminal on the fuse block will be unused. That will complete your +12 volt side.

The three smaller wires (yellow, pink and purple) will go to three of the fuse slot terminals on the bottom of the panel. Use 15 amp fuses on them. The large blue wire will go to a forth fuse slot terminal and should be fused with a 30 amp fuse. It is the charge line from the tow vehicle, and also is used for the break away switch and tongue jack if you have one. That will complete the branch and charge circuits.

Then you will be done.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Oh, run a ground wire from the ground terminal on your new converter/charger to the frame of the Argosy.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 20
Kingsville , Ontario
Thanks for your input everyone - I've taken a crack at a revised schematic, am I getting closer
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	revised_plan.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	206559  
roostreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho