Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
Need electricity for dummy intro

HI all,

I'm anticipating buying an A/S soon and I don't know anything about electrical systems - or maybe I know enough to be truly dangerous. (I can wire a lamp, and I know to keep one hand in my pocket - not to mess with 220 and to turn off the circuit breakers when working on household stuff - but that doesn't qualify me to mess with stuff.) I'm going to be traveling solo (my dog doesn't know anything about any systems) so I need to get an education so I know what I'm dealing with. RV bookstore has a book on 12 volt systems - would this be a good place to start? I expect to add solar panels and RV bookstore also has books about that - Any advice about how to get a basic education so I can understand how things in my A/S work would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudentane View Post
...I'm anticipating buying an A/S soon and I don't know anything about electrical systems...
hi pud'

i see no mention of what 'stream u are buying... year, model, accessories and so on.

-there is basic electric knowledge...

-rv specific electric knowledge...

-OLD TRAILER juice issues...

-new trailer power designs...

-gadget specific power needs...

and the 'everything under the sun' topic of solar....

many of the rv books do a good job with the basics including the dummies and idiot's books on rvz...

woodall's and others have books or rv MAINTENANCE and repairs that have useful chapters or rv electric systems...

searching online, using an array of terms, will find a LOT of rv wiring and electric info too.

some of the big solar vendors have nice booklets or websites, but they also help u buy their products.

the a/s company website has 'owner manuals' for many recent years online...

these a/s owners manuals are pretty good about 'splaining what's in a stream and how it works.

even if it's NOT YOUR STREAM, the manuals are still pretty helpful, for the basics...

here are some threads that might help u too...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ice-39392.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...tem-35476.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...wer-42328.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...new-41003.html

there are also some pieinthesky, solarcandoeverything-not threads here u can read....

take a look at the threads by 'silver suz?' and the counter point/reality checks from roadkingmoe...

some folks get pretty grand ideas about HOW MUCH they need to know, just to plug in a string of party lights...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...tem-38227.html

and don't discount your pooches ability to sort out electric issues,

my k9 doesn't have a double E degree, but he's still a top dog on dog bones...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/243057-post27.html

cheers
2air

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
I really am a dummy!

Sorry I didn't give you more detail! It's a new Safari 28' LS Special. I'm going with new because I've been renovating old houses most of my life - and although even a new one is going to have maintenance - I want time to have fun and not be married to repairs. I'll check out your recommendations - thanks a lot!
Old 08-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudentane View Post
It's a new Safari 28' LS Special. I'm going with new because...
new is good, i like new.

having a trailer owner's manual in hand helps,

even with the well known limitations of the factory offering.

some of the newer safari manuals in pdf format are pretty close to what u will get.

i'd suggest downloading one and reading away. this might help some while u wait for yours.

...'stream Books...

scroll past the 'parts books' to the owners manuals, they've now updated to 2008.

but STILL have NOT loaded the 2005 versions, what's up with that?

oh, yeah it's because mine is an 2005...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:49 PM   #5
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
Actually the one I'm considering is a 2007 that has never been used - it will have all the owners manuals (not solar because it doesn't have factory installed - only the pre-wire). It's got 15,000 A/C heat pump and a convection/microwave, and all the other usual bells and whistles.

I can live without using a lot of amps when boondocking - I don't need a hair drier - or to use the microwave - and I do a lot of stovetop one pan meals - or I can grill outside. I don't watch tv at home (except for Patriots games and occasionally the news) so that's not going to be an issue - and I probably won't spend the bucks for satellite - but I do need to power a laptop.

So maybe what I need is to start out with a generator and then maybe get solar installed so I have a double back-up. I want to be able to park as long as I like and not have to worry about charging the batteries - or having to move to someplace so I can hook up if I don't want to. I also really like the idea of solar and not having to lug gasoline - which is weight and flammable.

Maybe I'll just take this puppy to the factory and have them install the solar - if and when I get it.

Thanks for all your leads to sources of info.