Old 06-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Need Assistance With Electrical

Spent yesterday trying to troubleshoot the electrical system problems in my 31' 1978 International Land Yacht and need some help with respect to what might be wrong/which way to go.

*The 120V works. I have power to the outlets, the air conditioner works

*I don't have anything operating that relies on 12V power - no interior lights, no water pump, etc.

*I hear the "hum" from the Univolt which leads me to believe that it is still operational. I plan on replacing it with an Intellipower PD 9160A + Charge Wizard which I purchased several years ago but never got around to installing.

*I have a 15 fuse + 2 battery (50 amp fuses) 12 volt D.C. Distribution panel which is a bit of a mess. The fuse labeled "Ckt 4 Brn SFE 20" has basically broken completely off of the Panel. The prior owner wired an inline fuse for the "Ckt 5 Blue SFE 20" fuse as well as the "Ckt 2 Yel SFE 20" with the Blue using a Buss fuse and the Yellow using a blade fuse. The Yellow inline wire has also become disconnected. As I said, quite a mess.

What I am trying to determine is whether I also need to replace the Distribution Panel and if so, what type should I be looking to get? I am assuming that the Univolt is kaput since nothing 12V is working (I would assume that if it was working at least some of the 12V things in the trailer would be working when plugged into shore power). With a portion of the Distribution Panel literally falling apart I would think that it would also be wise to replace it too but I want to make certain that this is necessary since they run $200+ for the models that I saw that would support 15 fuses. Finally, the replacement Distribution Panels that I looked at appeared to only support 1 battery and not 2 as my current Panel does. Is this normal or are there Panels out there that support 2 batteries. Thanks for any assistance. Montanaandy

Old 06-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
go with Blue Sea Systems or similar for the distribution panel. Replace the univolt then start troubleshooting from there.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Am I correct in assuming when you say distribution panel, you are talking about the 12 volt DC fuse panel?
I believe your trailer only has 4 or maybe 5 12 volt DC circuit. Each colored wire you mentioned above is a circuit.
There are many DC fuse blocks out there that will work for your application. They accept the modern spade type fuses.
In installed a new converter and fuse block assembly and I didn't spend more than $200.00 for everything, including the converter. The system has worked flawlessly for over 2 years now. I am a Happy Camper.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
It's easy to test the converter. I bet it's working. Test it before it's fused. 2 leads. You may just have an open ground. That will stop everything 12 volt. At worst it might just need a new fuse panel. Those are not expensive.

I test 12 volt with a 12 volt jumper light, a small battery charger, and a small multi-meter.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Thanks For The Advice - One Further Question...

Thanks for the advice. I am initially going to replace the Univolt with the Intellipower + Charge Wizard and see where I am at at that point.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to "easily" remove the Univolt from the recessed area beneath the credenza that it sits in. Is it easier to try to access it via the battery compartments in the front of the trailer (i.e. remove the batteries and try to at least loosen things up) or is it better/easier to remove it by wedging myself into the credenza area and trying to get it out by lifting it up and out. It is very cramped and difficult to see down into the area where the Univolt is housed and I cannot tell if it is bolted in or is just sitting there. Any advice on how to make this an easier job? Thanks. Montanaandy
Old 06-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Nevermind...

I found the original thread that I posted regarding this in the archives (2003 no less!) so I am good to go. Montanaandy
Old 06-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
On my excella II, the univolt was in the front behind the Goucho. I was able to place the Goucho in down(bed) position, remove a panel over the Univolt, remove it, install PD9245, wire two wires to fuse box on front wall behind door. Is yours similar?
Old 06-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
Ok, never mind.