Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2006, 10:38 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Craig, the BatteryMinder is an excellent maintainer. The new models have full time desulfation whereas the older models were manually initiated. I'm totally convinced sulfation is preventable, but also convinced its extremely difficult to reverse.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:53 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander
Craig, the BatteryMinder is an excellent maintainer. The new models have full time desulfation whereas the older models were manually initiated. I'm totally convinced sulfation is preventable, but also convinced its extremely difficult to reverse.
All the better to start with good batteries and a good charging system. Right? There's your plug Randy.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:56 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Ok, I finally got me 55 amp Intellipower and Tri-metric stuff today from Best Coverter. The install of the new converter looks pretty straight forward. Removing the old unit, installing the new, and attaching a poistive and a negative to the converter and plugging it in. But the wiring of the Tri-metric and the shunt confused me. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. Wasn't there a post with detailed instructions?

Greg

Diddn't somebody post some detailed instruction?
85Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:07 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Greg,
Go to our website and click on the main category Trimetric Battery Monitor. Scroll down and we have a few photos of the back of the meter as well as the shunt as if it were installed. Install the shunt as close to the battery as feasible for the most accurate readings and on the negative cable.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:15 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Randy,

This may sound stupid but, if I have two batteries inside the coach where does the shunt go then?

Greg
Old 01-09-2007, 08:00 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Looks like you guys were right.

While installing my new inverter (from Best Inverter), I was about to run the wiring for the new meter when I thought I would take a moment and look at my batteries. Good thing I did. Both of my 27tm Trojans were in bad shape. Both positive terminals have swollen vertically and have made a white ring around the terminal where it looks like it is about to break through the top of the case. I bought both these batteries at the same time in April of 2005. Both batteries had plenty of water and showed no signs of any type of a short around the positive terminal. I would charge them from time to time so I know I did not overcharge them with my old univolt.

Looks like I'm gonna get the oppurtunity to buy 2 new batteries along with my new converter and meter. I'm gonna try and fit the size 31's in my trailer.

Greg
Old 01-09-2007, 08:44 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Greg,
Even when I suspect it from people that are having charging problems, it is very difficult to diagnose battery or many other electrical problems over the phone or email because there are so many variables. There are times (Not you) when I'd bet the farm but can't say it because you have to give the benefit of the doubt. If you say the battery is good, by golly it's good until we run out of stuff to chase even when I know where we are headed. Thanks for the candor there on bad batteries, it makes it so much easier.
You now have a fresh system if you buy batteries. Don't jump on the Lifeline bandwagon if you are willing to maintain Lead Acid. It's not that difficult and you now have the tools. I'm embarrassed on the Lifeline prices thanks to the Chinese buying power of lead and steel. They are robbing the supplies in my opinion, whatever nothing I can do. Lead acids continue to rise as well.
I don't think you want to stuff group 31s in the 85 Airstream compartments if they are behind the A frame. Even if they barely physically fit, you will play hell with the connections and get lazy wanting to drag them out to check the water level. Stay with the group 27.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:03 AM   #28
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I'm relatively certain that the group 27s are the largest batteries that will physically fit inside your battery boxes, at least that is the largest that will fit in my '82 Limited. Your '85 should be the same.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:27 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85Sovereign
Looks like I'm gonna get the oppurtunity to buy 2 new batteries along with my new converter and meter. I'm gonna try and fit the size 31's in my trailer.

Greg
Greg, no way you'll stuff 31's in your battery compartments, even with Vasaline and a shoehorn. They are just to long. Lifeline 31's under the couch is another story though. I'd stick with a couple new grp. 27's in your current boxes.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 01-10-2007, 10:13 PM   #30
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
I really admire Greg's determination but I'm afraid it's fruitless with an Airstream Trailer without serious modifications but it can be done and I have a hunch he is on a mission... We deal with the ultimate battery set-ups every day and the battery bank is very limited in Airstream trailers. A pair of Group 27 is about 210 AH, give or take. There is just no room left over for weight carrying capacity on the tongue.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:16 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Based on the measurements I took, I think they will fit. But, the top posts on the 31's will have to me changed to a shorter one. The rep at the battery store advised that he can remove the top posts and replace them with a much shorter one. I did try to stuff a 31 in last night. The width was good as well as the height execpt for the top posts. But could not tell on the length. I'll get the posts changed today and let you know if it is a good fit.

Greg
Old 01-12-2007, 07:47 PM   #32
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Give us an update on that Greg when you can. I honestly didn't think you would have success stuffing 31s in the 85 Sov. battery compartments but I'd like to be wrong in this case so people can follow suit. There's a few more AH to be had but not to much. I know your scrounging for every possible AH available. I still think it will be a chore to get them in and out to check the water but you have the ball now as I don't have any 31's in the warehouse right now to try it. 31s are just not a popular size.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:06 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Well, I borrowed a size 31 from the battery store. It has the finished height my Trojan's will have after the top posts are cut off and rewelded to be shorter. And, it fit like a glove!! The 31 has about the same width and height as the 27s'. Don't get me wrong, there was hardly any room left in that battery box. But still, the 31's will fit and the door to the battery box would even close shut. I went back to the battery store today to get the real Trojan batteries, but because of the ice storm that hit OKC today, they were closed. So, it will be next tuesday at the earliest, before I can comment on the actual install.

Greg
Old 01-13-2007, 10:52 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
While most 27's and 31's may have the same width and heigth, I have found numerous differences in their lengths and that is why I previously stated that a 31 would not fit your compartment (lengthwise). I guess your compartment must be slightly longer than mine.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 01-13-2007, 11:45 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

I don't know if my boxes are any bigger. That size 31 took up every bit of the box and then some. I was able to close the door to the battery box compartment. But, about .25"s' of the battery came to rest on the lip of the frame work behind the door. The door and the battery did not touch after the door was closed.

By adding these 31's have I added to much weight to the tounge?

Greg
Old 01-21-2007, 06:53 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Well, I finally got everything installed, including the trimetric meter. Randy, at Best converter was very helpful with any questions I had. After everything was installed I used the new meter to measure any draw from my batteries with everything turned off. The new meter only read .2 amps. I firgure this is an acceptable measurement of loss from the 2 new batteries (31's). I was also able to measure the amperage draw of various electrical devices in the TT. If your going to replace your old Univolt I recommend getting the Trimetric meter as well. It is a handy tool. Thanks again to Randy.

Greg
Old 01-22-2007, 07:24 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Greg, since your battery is not sitting level in the compartment because it is sitting on the front ledge, keep an eye on it to make sure that it doesn't crack the front lip or the back of the battery box where the battery makes contact.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 01-22-2007, 01:58 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Roger that. I installed some 3/4" shimms under the battery boxes to help support them. I checked with the battery store about the batteries sitting on that lip. They advised that it should not hurt them. There only concern was that the battery case could rub on the back of the battery box door. Like you, I was concerned that there might be some kind of structual failure of the battery case iteself from not resting flat. But, I will keep an eye on that water level.

Is the .2 amps that my meter is regestering an acceptable amount to be drawn from the batteries when everything except the meter is turned off?

Greg
Old 01-22-2007, 08:54 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Phantom draw

I'll let someone else on the forum try this one since I can't seem to pull up my source of phantom loads. I was thinking that the refrigerator draws .33 or so amps per hour. Any radio with a display or your LPG detector might be drawing that .2 amps.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 01-23-2007, 08:49 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Well, I have everything turned off, including the fridge. Would the Trimetric meter pull the .2 amps?

Greg