Old 11-19-2007, 07:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Oak Park , Illinois
Master Battery disconnect

I hope that I have not missed this posting somewhere else, but I have tried researching this topic with not the exact success.

I have a 2005 Safari. I was told by the dealer that the rocker battery "store" switch does not disconnect all battery supplied items. The LP detector and power jack are two items I know are still powered on.

After about eight weeks in storage (please no comment about that duration, it hurts me too) my battery supply was greatly depleted.

I would like to stop this issue by placing a disconnect switch on the batteries. I purchased a "knife" type switch but I have little room to install for proper clearances. I'm hoping that someone else has crossed this bridge and point me in a creative direction to solve this problem.

2005 30' Safari Bunkhouse
2010 F250 Lariat
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:39 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Take a look at jegs.com Part #555-10320 or 21. It should solve your problem.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishByFly
...the rocker battery "store" switch does not disconnect all battery supplied items. ... my battery supply was greatly depleted. I would like to stop this issue by placing a disconnect switch on the batteries. I purchased a "knife" type switch but I have little room to install for proper clearances. I'm hoping that someone else has crossed this bridge and point me in a creative direction to solve this problem.

This is what I did

The red switch is a master disconnect switch for the battery. The switch is a marine type (battery 1 - battery 2 - all off) three position.

I drilled and threaded the frame and used Stainless Steel Hex Head bolts to mount the switch to the front A-Frame. "4" guage cable joins the battery to the switch and the electric distribution panel.

All of the electrical connections are hidden and protected - I would not recommend an knife switch unless you find a spot which would protect it from accidental grounding - or use it to disconnect the ground to isolate the battery.

More discussions in this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f219...ign-14737.html

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishByFly
I hope that I have not missed this posting somewhere else, but I have tried researching this topic with not the exact success.

I have a 2005 Safari. I was told by the dealer that the rocker battery "store" switch does not disconnect all battery supplied items. The LP detector and power jack are two items I know are still powered on.

After about eight weeks in storage (please no comment about that duration, it hurts me too) my battery supply was greatly depleted.

I would like to stop this issue by placing a disconnect switch on the batteries. I purchased a "knife" type switch but I have little room to install for proper clearances. I'm hoping that someone else has crossed this bridge and point me in a creative direction to solve this problem.
FBF,

Please note that even if you disconnect your battery(s) at the terminals, if they are standard liquid cell type lead-acid batteries, they will self discharge in about 4-6 weeks from a full charge. This is with absolutely nothing connected to them.

The self-discharge is caused by the comparitively high internal resistance found in all liquid cell batteries. I would suggest converting to AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries in the future. They have a much lower internal resistance that allows them to charge quicker and retain their charge for a much longer period of time.

Unfortunately, when you store batteries without a trickle charger, the disconnect will not solve your problem.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:02 AM   #5

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi FBF -- I will be replacing with AGMs after my lead acid batteries wear out. I first considered two full seasons might be all but it looks like I'll have them to start next season.

Take a digital pic of your battery compartment connections first. Because I store my Safari away from home I pull out the batteries and leave them in my basement. I put a trickle charger on them every few weeks through the winter. A discharged battery is subject to freeze (once you move to Chi town).

David Tidmore of the Weatherford TX Airstream dealer wrote last winter in Airstream Life that there is no truth to batteries dicharging if they're set on concrete. Even out-of-service batteries need attention.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Hi FBF -- I will be replacing with AGMs after my lead acid batteries wear out. I first considered two full seasons might be all but it looks like I'll have them to start next season.

Take a digital pic of your battery compartment connections first. Because I store my Safari away from home I pull out the batteries and leave them in my basement. I put a trickle charger on them every few weeks through the winter. A discharged battery is subject to freeze (once you move to Chi town).

David Tidmore of the Weatherford TX Airstream dealer wrote last winter in Airstream Life that there is no truth to batteries dicharging if they're set on concrete. Even out-of-service batteries need attention.
Bob,

I'm glad that David did the piece on batteries placed on concrete but you know, I get that comment almost on a daily basis. Strange how these myths just never seem to die!

And discharged batteries will certainly freeze and be rendered unuseable. Thanks for pointing this out!
Old 11-20-2007, 06:21 AM   #7

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Lew - I followed a beautifully maintained Prevost for a while on Sunday. Wow! At 65 mph I couldn't quite climb aboard for a tour... It made me imagine an Airstream manufactured from the start with a polished skin.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Lew - I followed a beautifully maintained Prevost for a while on Sunday. Wow! At 65 mph I couldn't quite climb aboard for a tour... It made me imagine an Airstream manufactured from the start with a polished skin.
I service about 20 of the older XL-II models on a regular basis. Those are the ones like you probably saw......with the mirror-polished stainless steel sides.
Really nice to look at but they sure are heavy!!!!!! 45,000 lb + in most cases.

Weight.....we don't care about no stinkin' weight!!!!!!!