Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2015, 07:59 PM   #1
F150 4X4 ProPride

2015 30' Flying Cloud
TOMBALL , Texas
Magnum Inverter to replace Prallax Converter

After a lot of research wanting to upgrade my Converter/Charger to a smart charger my conclusion after reviewing form post, internet research and speaking with Marine as well as RV Technicians I have elected to replace my Converter/Charger with an Inverter/Charger.

My 2015 FC30 has a 50 Amp Service with a Parallax 5355 Power Center/ Converter Charger. This unit does not easily accommodate the Converter/Charger I had decided on. As my FC came with the 1000 watt WFCO 5100H Inverter located under the FWD Streetside Couch.

I will replace the WACO Inverter with the Magnum MMS1012 1000 watt Inverter/Charger.

I will remove the Parallax 5355 Converter Charger from the Power Center.

The Parallax 5300 Power Center will still manage AC and DC Power Distribution.

I will use the Battery Disconnect Switch Relay as a DC Buss Disconnect Relay. (The Inverter will always Charge the Battery with Shore/Generator power available)

The only new wire required will be a run of 12/3 from the Power Center to the Magnum Inverter. This will power the Battery Charger function of the Magnum Inverter/Charger. It will also provide pass-through AC power to the "Inverter" outlets as installed by Airstream with the WFCO Inverter option.

I will provide AC power to the Magnum Inverter with the old Power Center 20 Amp CB previously used by the Converter Charger. This CB would have to be Opened to turn off the Battery Charger (Previously the Battery Disconnect Relay was used for this purpose.)

Important to remember the ME-RC Remote Control panel must be used if you want to use the programmable features of the NNS1020 (Type of Battery Flooded, GEL, AMG1 or AMG2)
; Custom Voltages for Absorption, Float and Equalization Modes. plus many other features as well as LCD Monitoring. I plan to Contact Interstate for their recommendation for their Type 27 Deep Cycle. Or you may use values floating around the forum.

I will place the ME-RC Remote Control Panel in the under couch storage area as I want to keep the interior of my FC as "clean" as possible. Anyway I do not feel a need to monitor my charger in real time.

The MMS1020 has an included Battery Temp Sensor to This should be a real consideration for those concerned with charging of different battery types. Currently the MMS1020 does not have Lithium Ion as a recognized battery type. Magnum pay provide this as a hardware/software option in the future.

Where the Converter/Charger Powers the DC Buss and Charges the Battery the Inverter Charger will Charge the Battery Only; don't cry. The DC Buss will be powered directly from the Battery at all times. Only down side is no DC Buss power with the Batteries removed.

I would like to thank Lew Farber for his patients answering all my dumb questions. I have learned a lot.

After all is don I will offer my WFCO Inverter and Parallax 5355 Converter Charger to forum members or eBay.

If Lew or anyone else has any corrections to my assumptions please enlighten us all.

Regards,
Dave and Sweetie the FC30
mycloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote