Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2017, 06:56 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
Low Battery

I have an interstate group 27 batter that came with my 1973 when I bought it. It is at least three years old and has not been maintained well. I have most of my electrical in now and am hooking up this battery. When plugged in to shore power, I would think an old or low battery would not matter. But when I turn my fantastic fan on, the radio does not work right and the lights dim a bit (the radio is the only item on its circuit; lights are LED). I would understand this if not hooked up to shore power and have a low battery. I have a new boondocker converter. Could the cause be a low battery even when plugged in to shore power?
Thanks,
Greg
Greg1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
First thing would be to pull the shore power while the fan is on. If the fan speed drops you have at least tested that the converter is working. You could leave the power on over night and run the test again. If the fan speed does not drop your battery took a charge.

To further test the battery test each cell with a hygrometer after the battery has been charged. If any cell is low get a new battery.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Use a hydrometer. Not a hygrometer. This device tells you the specific gravity of the liquid in the battery cells.
You should see a voltage reading north of 13 volts when the converter is on.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Might also want to check DC voltages in the trailer when on shore power is on - should probably be around 13 volts plus or so, and also check the voltage right at the battery connections to see that the reading is similar.

Then you could pull the shore power and after letting the charging system rest a while (hour or so?) check the DC voltage again at the battery connections.

With fully charged batteries, you should read about 12.7 volts - if down to about 12 .2 then you only have about half charge.

If there are problems with the batteries, before changing them, you might want to remove the connections and clean them as well as the battery posts down to bright metal and try charging again.

I know that my battery connections seem to get quite corroded quickly and this can cause problems.

I remove my batteries from the trailer and store in the garage when not in use, charging them now and then with a battery tender. Whenever I put them back in the trailer, I give both the connectors and battery posts a quick clean up with one of the special wire brusg gadgets designed for that purpose.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Greg, ... you need to perform some quality battery-testing ... instead of hooking everything up to find it all don't work and then leap to a conclusion that "it must be a goofy battery", which is effectively what you've done according to your description.

Disconnect your battery and put a load directly on it, such as a fan or incandescent lamp, etc. and simultaneously read the voltage.
Better yet...put a battery charger on it overnight and THEN do that test.

If your battery has a shorted-cell... that short will drain EVERYTHING your converter can possibly put out and may even damage your converter.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote