Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #1
I Bought it I Broke it...

1976 31' Sovereign
Migratory , North America
Looking for some guiding light... no power in a 76 Sovereign

Hoping someone might be able to help me think further than I've been able to thus far.

I've got a 1976 Sovereign. Last night we pulled into a park here in Three Rivers, California, plugged in, everything was good to go. In the middle of the night, something blew and we lost all 110 power. The polarity light was on. It was late, freezing cold, and I was at a loss at the time so I went back to sleep (leaving her plugged in).

The battery drained over night and so we had nothing in the morning. I've flipped the breakers at the RV park several times now. Checked all of my fuses, they're good, and flipped the breakers this morning and last night. I don't think any of them were even tripped last night, though again it was 4am or so and I was admittedly pretty groggy. Either way, I've flipped those a bunch, nothing.

I replaced the battery in the Airstream this morning with a brand new one, and I still don't even have 12volt power.

Someone "may" be able to come take a look at it later today, but it's not definite, so I'm trying to figure out what's going on and hopefully resolve it before tonight as it's still pretty darn cold here in the Sierra Nevadas and I've got three little ones with me.

Any input, advice, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Black Diamond , Washington
Will it run if you plug it back into your car? I would try to isolate the problem. It might be the power inverter below your front couch causing issues. If you had a reverse polarity issue then it might have fried that. Good luck! !

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Airstream Forums mobile app
mariusg78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:27 PM   #3
I Bought it I Broke it...

1976 31' Sovereign
Migratory , North America
My tow vehicle doesn't send power to the Airstream at all, it's apparently not wired to do so. Previous tow vehicle did, but not the current. Kids are napping in the AS now but will take a look at the power inverter when they wake up. Not sure if I'll be able to tell anything by looking at it, though. Any idea what I could look for to determine if it's fried or not?
Old 03-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
I hope you have a circuit tester with you and some electrical knowledge. Otherwise, tracing the issue your self is quite difficult and more a hit or miss proposition for the layman.

This doesn't happen often, but when testing your circuits be sure to test the Easy Lock Inlet (the twist lock 110 fitting where you connect power). Although you may have power in the cord from the stanchion, it possible that the copper contacts inside the inlet fitting were burned and thus 110 power is not going to the power panel or on to the converter.

No power after replacing your battery points towards a converter issue. It is possible both were affected if the Inlet failed. You can test the power out contacts between the converter and the 12v fuse panel to determine if output from the converter is occurring.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:36 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Black Diamond , Washington
Let us know how this works out. Just in case this happens to me
mariusg78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #6
Peapod

1985 31' Excella
Dade City , Florida
We had the same problem in our '76 sovereign. It took a new converter/charger to fix it. Good luck
KenSanLan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Hartford , Alabama
Clicknathan,
Check the main fuses on the 12v power distribution panel. Mine has 2 on the positive panel and another lower down on the negative line ( that is coming out, electronics don't like losing the negative unexpectedly). Old glass fuses will sometimes "pop" when they blow.
TomJ
Valacidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:59 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I know it's not really something you want to do, but if you get too cold you could crack a window and use your stove for emergencies.
terrencecolp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrencecolp View Post
I know it's not really something you want to do, but if you get too cold you could crack a window and use your stove for emergencies.
I'm sorry but I don't think that's good advice.

Layers. Huddle. Etc. but your stove is not a heating device even with windows cracked and especially with kids in the camper (if I understood a previous post).

I'm sorry for your troubles.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Load up the kids, go to WalMart, buy an electric heater and a heavy duty long extension cord.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:19 AM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrencecolp View Post
Definitely not!

If you must use a stove or oven for heat, the only safe way I know of is to bake a clay brick (or a pizza stone, if you've got one) and then use the warm brick or stone for heat after you shut off the appliance. There are valid safety reasons why RVIA requires stickers next to all new RV stoves that say, "Not to be used for comfort heating."

Tags
sovereign