Old 05-07-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
JOplin , Missouri
Look correct?

Hello we added new batteries a year or two ago and they have never held s charge. Does it look like we have they hooked up correctly? Thanks in advance. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1431010088.167245.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	237949

joplinpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Wiring wise that looks good.

Were the batteries a matched set when installed, both new?

Remove the ground connections and measure each battery voltage after an over night charge, If there is a voltage difference the lower battery is drawing the other one down and BOTH need to be replaced.

When connecting the new batteries do not connect the #10 black wire, don't know what that goes to, yet. Make the final connection of the batteries the chassis ground and note if you draw a spark as you make that connection. If it sparks there is something drawing current in the trailer and may be the problem. Try and find that draw.

If that is OK connect that questionable #10 ground wire again watching for a spark.

2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:02 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina

HowieE is absolutely on the $ in his diagnosis, and if I may add, by the looks of those jumpers you have there, (+ to +, - to -) it's time to replace those. A good cleaning at least, for ALL your connections.. Baking soda & H2O works, but it is best to get out your steel brush and bristle them back into a shiny connection. If it were me, I would be replacing them. Good call HowieE.
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Have you checked fluid levels?
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 02:59 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
JOplin , Missouri
Both New

Yes both batteries were new when I replaced them. I cleaned up connections when I installed the batteries and used the battery terminal spray that's suppose to
Prevent corrosion. I'll charge both batteries outside the camper and check levels before buying new ones. If you suggest replacing cables that's what I'll do. Just trying to prevent further problems. I really appreciate all your input. It's greatly appreciated. I'll follow up once I get batteries out and get everything going. Thanks again. God Bless.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Some clarification, please

What do you mean by "have never held a charge"? How long do they hold a charge? Under what conditions? I'm not familiar with your trailer, so I don't know what might be drawing power in the interim, but propane detector alone will drain the batteries in a matter of weeks.

A film of dirt/salts, etc. on the top of the batteries can discharge them. The tops need to be kept clean. Be careful if using baking soda on the batteries not to flush any into the cells. More than one time I have cleaned a battery that was working fine only to have it die afterwards.

What does the switched red line go to? Maybe the unidentified black line is the other side of that circuit. Maybe the tongue jack?

When connecting wires and watching for sparks, be aware that the filter capacitors in the charger/converter will have discharged and draw some power when first reconnecting. If you get a spark, disconnect and reconnect and see if it sparks a second time. If not, all is probably OK.

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:03 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
JOplin , Missouri
Al and Missy yes the switch is to the electric trailer jack. This weekend we will be heading out to camp. I have 2 new interstate batteries and also picked up a battery disconnect. Will replace cables and batteries and we will see if the disconnect helps. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:48 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
JOplin , Missouri
Ok added new batteries and replaced cables. Question about this switch?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1434386743.354163.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	240722 I see it says battery disconnect does that mean it kills all the power? My electric jack still works. Could the electric Jack be pulling juice or only when it's used. Added new Intersate batteries this weekend and made sure I hit the Store button on internal disconnect. Going back camping on the 4th of July so I will see if batteries still have a charge.