Old 11-01-2015, 06:53 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member
2012 30' International
Livingston , Texas
"So no shore power, press the button, hear the switch, the red light goes out.
Shore power connected, press the button, hear the switch, the red light stays on. What to make of this? Am I disconnected? Is there a way to find out?"

Same here. Waiting for a response from someone. My meter shows the battery is no longer being charged. I'm assuming all is good? Thanks

glenrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:38 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member
2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
When you are not connected to shore power, the red light goes on when the battery disconnect switch "Use" side is pressed, and goes off when the "Store" side is pressed. You should hear a distinct click sound when the switch is turned either way. Unfortunately, when connected to shore power, the red light is always on regardless of whether the battery disconnect is in Use or Store position.

When I first got my Airstream, I was unsure how all this worked, as you are. So I used a voltmeter across my battery terminals to double check the disconnect switch functions with shore power on. I found that my batteries showed 12.7 volts or less while the battery disconnect "Store" side was on, whereas the voltage jumped well above 13 volts when the "Use" side was on, indicating the batteries were being charged in that switch position.

These days, when I'm on shore power, and unsure of the battery disconnect status (due to the uselessness of the red light always on), I just press the "Store" side of the disconnect switch and take in on faith that my battery is no longer being charged. No problems with it after 10000 miles of use.

phann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:15 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thank you phann for the thorough explanation. I had sensed that my new FC20 operated this way, but had not gotten around to double-checking with a voltmeter at the batteries.

Much appreciated . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote