Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1996 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Grass Valley , California
Location of golf cart batteries

I would like to use two six volt golf cart batteries and an inverter in my 1959 Flying Cloud, but there isn't room for them. Has anyone tried mounting the batteries in a pick up bed, that has a canopy covering it? Then a heavy extension cord could run from the inverter back to the trailer when it was needed.
The batteries would be charged by a 130 amp alternator in a Toyota Tundra. I'm wondering if there would be a problem with charging them in a
covered pickup bed ever though it should get plenty of ventilation.
Stan Drury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I could work...I used a similar set up, mounting the batteries in the pickup bed when we had a truck camper - which worked out good, as the battery cables didn't have much a distance to run...

With your proposed system, I wouldn't use battery cables smaller than #2 AWG sized wire, to cut the DC resistance to a minimum...

You might check out welding cable from a welding supply company near you - this type of cable is very flexible, making it easier to roll up the cables for storage, etc...

I'd also solder all the connections if you use welding cable, and seal the connectors with heat shrink tubing for corrosion and moisture protection...

Make sure you mount the batteries in an enclosure that will secure them from moving around - it only takes a small pebble under a battery to wear a hole in the battery case if the batteries are allowed to mover or 'float' around in the back of a pickup!

I don't think ventilation would be an issue in the back of a pickup with a cover - seems like there would be lots of air circulation to get rid of any hydrogen being emitted...

Ray
Old 10-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1996 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Grass Valley , California
Thanks Ray, that's good advice.
Stan Drury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I can see a couple if issues with this setup.

You would have to park your TV in front or right next to the trailer which is not always possible or have very long cables to reach.

Anytime the TV was gone from the campsite you would have to disconnect the cables and have no power to the trailer.

In the event of a break away condition while towing, you would have no power to the brakes if the pin was pulled.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Another problem with your proposal is the battery charging. Your alternator is basically 'dumb', in that it has a single stage charging routine, unlike the new 3-stage chargers found on better converters and inverter/chargers. You will be doing your batteries no favors by charging them in this way, and you should expect decreased battery life without proper 3-stage charging.

Also, if you have to re-charge, you have to run your TV engine, and you will have to fast idle or run at elevated speeds to get any significant amperage from the alternator.

IIWY, I would get a small generator and a quality converter like the IOTA DQS-55 and plug the trailer into the genny whenever you needed to re-charge. Much less maintenance on a small (Honda or Yamaha) generator than your truck engine too.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Carson City , Nevada
I have some experience with Deka AGM Golf Cart Batteries. I installed two banks in my Argosy twin - under the bunks. I installed a maxi-fuse next to each battery and ran the power back to the rear closet and installed a marine switch (1,2,BOTH, OFF) to have a common power point ahead of the fuse panel. These are pretty safe from off-gassing, recharge quickly, and provide a lot of amp hours of service.

I have had zero problems with this set-up and may use the empty battery box for an outside shower head.
Mike S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Drury View Post
I would like to use two six volt golf cart batteries and an inverter in my 1959 Flying Cloud, but there isn't room for them.
Hi Stan. I had the same problem with my '58 Overlander. I modified my A-Frame to support two batteries. I had to move the propane tank mounting base forward about 3 inches, but everything fits fine. I have pics of my modified A-Frame on my blog.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
I installed two 6v golf cart batteries in our '65 Caravel. The existing battery was located on the tongue behind the propane tanks long ways, side to side. I moved the propane tanks about three inches forward, and installed two battery boxes long ways front to back. Came out great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4020320.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	114172   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4020327.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	114173  

Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Jim,
Looks great Jim. My arrangement is very similar except my batteries are side by side lengthwise.

4CU 1st VP

Old 10-29-2010, 01:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
Jim,
Looks great Jim. My arrangement is very similar except my batteries are side by side lengthwise.
I had to turn mine due to the attaching brackets for the chains on the WD hitch. If that had not been an issue, the propane tanks could have stayed where they were. Had to move them forward to make room for the turned batteries.

I could have made a whole new battery holder high enough to clear the WD chains, but it would not have looked nice at all, and would have been lots more work then just moving the propane the three inches forward.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
I had to turn mine due to the attaching brackets for the chains on the WD hitch. If that had not been an issue, the propane tanks could have stayed where they were. Had to move them forward to make room for the turned batteries.

I could have made a whole new battery holder high enough to clear the WD chains, but it would not have looked nice at all, and would have been lots more work then just moving the propane the three inches forward.
I know what you mean. The Equal-i-zer Hitch has much smaller brackets so I was able to mount my battery frame on top (it barely fits).

4CU 1st VP

Old 10-29-2010, 11:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
It sounds like you may have already considered this, but locate the inverter closer to the batteries to avoid long runs of heavy 12-volt battery cables. The 110 volt AC cord doesn't have to be nearly as heavy to carry the same power.

We looked at installing an inverter in our boat a few years ago, and we finally abandoned that project. Besides the idea of electrocuting someone in a reverse bathtub, the long, heavy 12-volt cables were prohibitive (you shouldn't put an inverter in the engine compartment of a boat for safely reasons).

However, plenty of ventilation should be provided, as the inverter has lots of potential for igniting hydrogen gas and battery acid. Also, in full-failure mode (arcing, sparking, flaming shorts; i.e., electrical shorts, not the Bermuda- or tidy-whitey-type, although these can also be dangerous) the inverter could cause serious damage to your TV.

If you haven't already purchased an inverter, I'd take a second look at generators. If you haven't used a generator, borrow or rent one overnight or for a weekend, and try a little boondocking. I think you may be pleasantly surprised at what an easy solution this may be. After recently getting a generator, I wonder why we fiddled around with solar and extra batteries for so long.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:58 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
It sounds like you may have already considered this, but locate the inverter closer to the batteries to avoid long runs of heavy 12-volt battery cables. The 110 volt AC cord doesn't have to be nearly as heavy to carry the same power.

We looked at installing an inverter in our boat a few years ago, and we finally abandoned that project. Besides the idea of electrocuting someone in a reverse bathtub, the long, heavy 12-volt cables were prohibitive (you shouldn't put an inverter in the engine compartment of a boat for safely reasons).

However, plenty of ventilation should be provided, as the inverter has lots of potential for igniting hydrogen gas and battery acid. Also, in full-failure mode (arcing, sparking, flaming shorts; i.e., electrical shorts, not the Bermuda- or tidy-whitey-type, although these can also be dangerous) the inverter could cause serious damage to your TV.

If you haven't already purchased an inverter, I'd take a second look at generators. If you haven't used a generator, borrow or rent one overnight or for a weekend, and try a little boondocking. I think you may be pleasantly surprised at what an easy solution this may be. After recently getting a generator, I wonder why we fiddled around with solar and extra batteries for so long.
Phoenix,

I install lots of inverter/chargers and your fears of hydrogen gas are sound when dealing with liquid cell batteries but they are easily remedied by using AGM batteries. They do NOT outgas unless severely overcharged, a condition which rarely happens. Expensive, yes....worth it....DEFINITELY! They are the only battery that I will install in an RV.

As far as heavy cables, they are used every day in installations in large motor homes. It's not uncommon for me to use anywhere from 2/0 up to 4/0 cable. We use top grade welding cable which is extremely flexible and easy to work with.

And while generators will do the job of keeping your battery bank charged, many folks are moving to solar for that task, as they don't have to carry extra fuel (gasoline) or another component (generator).
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Lewster, we gave up on the inverter in the boat, because there wasn't much metal in our fiberglass boat for the safety ground. Thus, in my opinion, there was too much of a chance for electrocution, especially when people are usually wet or standing on something wet. Also, all of the warnings on the installation instructions scared me off from using it; just not worth the risk in a boat.

Regarding our Airstream, it is only 19-feet, and most of the roof is already covered with stuff. So, there isn't any room to put enough solar panels to do much. This probably isn't an issue with larger RVs.

For us, a generator is self-contained and has a pure sine-wave output that will run all our electronics without problems, rather than the inverter we were considering, which sounded like our laptop and television might have trouble with. I couldn't find any, but are there solar panels that will produce 1600 watts that will fit on a 19-foot Bambi?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Stan

I think the concept of golf cart batteries and an invertor in the bed of a truck is a good concept. Lewster makes a good point about ventilation, so this needs to be considered.

I think that I would have one battery in the trailer to provide 12 volts when towing and whenever I needed 12 volt power when boondocking and the truck was not there. The golf cart batteries would typically be used in conjuction with the invertor to provide 120v ac power to the trailer for 120v stuff and also to the convertor for 12 volt stuff. Recharging of the batteries in the trailer (1) and the truck bed (2, 4 or more) could be by solar or a small 1000 watt invertor type generator.

I considered using #4 welding cable but ended up buying some high quality 24 ft long jumper cables with #4 wire. The cost was much less than welding wire and they are just as flexible. When I am done I think I will still have some 10ft long jumper cables that I can use in an emergency.

I am using 4 6v golf cart batteries with a 1250 watt invertor. Some may think that I need #2 wire. I am using #4 wire. If the wire gets too hot when using the invertor I will just run an extra line of #4 wire from two of the batteries to the invertor (less than a 2 ft run).

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote