Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Local dealer let my batteries run down

My A/S has been at the local dealer for almost a month. I checked on it two weeks ago and some of the interior lights were left on without shore power, and my voltage meter read about 10.25. I was told they would hook it up to power and recharge the batteries.

I went by today...still waiting for parts from Ohio...and the when I flipped the battery disconnect to "use" I got a reading of 7.40 and after a few minutes even my plug-in voltage meter went dead.

I showed the service manager who didn't think it was a big deal. He said after a good charge they will be fine...they just shouldn't be left that way for an extended period. From what I have read from all of you, I think I should be concerned.

The batteries are only 14 months old and have never been below 60%...any thoughts?

Thanks.

Gene
No. 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
I think I'd find a different dealer ...

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink Can you say warrantee....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan and Liz View Post
I think I'd find a different dealer ...
X2...

BUT...have the batteries fully charged and load tested before leaving.

Our's were also ruined on the dealers lot. Left on shore power 24/7 and fried them in short order.

Bob
Old 02-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
I had the same thing happen to my battery while at the dealer...ugh. I took my battery out, brought a battery home and bought a battery tender. My battery was dead for about 3, weeks.

The battery tender worked as hoped. It takes a long time but I think the slow charge is good. The lights on the tender indicate my battery is ok now.

I bought the battery tender at Sears for $45.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
I'd push the issue and have it noted in the work order. No big deal! A new battery installed is about $135.00, and that is an East Coast price. when you get the bill for the repair, give him $50.00 and tell him the remaining is on the house as it is "no big deal".
I know my dealer actually pulls my battery and keeps it charged while it is stored at the dealership when it is winterized. I let them know a week out when I will pick it up and they flush it out for us,and all things are charged, that way if there is an issue, it is either fixed or discussed prior to connecting it to the TV.

Dealers like this really turn folks away from buying an Airstream as with the cost, you expert service due to the quality of the coach.

These are self inflicted wounds to the AS industry.

Good luck and when you do pick it up, enjoy the 2013 Airstream season.

SL4BLLT
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If they are relatively new batteries they will probably be ok. Be thankful the dealer has not caused you anymore harm with shoddy workmanship. Run and don't look back.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Even one seriously discharge like you have mentioned will shorten the life of the batteries by a great deal (I would estimate 2/3). Run down as far as you state, and recharged within a day or so, is bad enough, but to leave them down for several weeks is fatal. They may take a charge, and seem ok, but under load they will not deliver.

The batteries will never have the capacity that they had initially, and you will be replacing them soon. The dealer should do that replacement, but since they think it is "no big deal" they won't.

Find another dealer the next time you have issues with your AS, that one is not worthy of your business.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Thanks for all the feedback. Not a lot of dealers to choose from...and they still have the trailer. I left it with a good full charge and never really thought about the batteries. I just assumed they would hook it up to shore power and not use the batteries...especially overnight with the lights on.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
We bought our 20 Flying cloud from the new Airstream dealership of Los Angeles and they did the same thing. Its the lack of attention to detail from them that really bothers me. They also would not replace my batteries when asked. I had to charge them with a slow charge rate and took about 8 hours for both. They seem to work fine now. GL with your dealer, they all sound about the same however.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
We bought our 20 Flying cloud from the new Airstream dealership of Los Angeles and they did the same thing. Its the lack of attention to detail from them that really bothers me. They also would not replace my batteries when asked. I had to charge them with a slow charge rate and took about 8 hours for both. They seem to work fine now. GL with your dealer, they all sound about the same however.
Not "ALL" dealers are the same.

But, many of them don't pay attention to the "CCC".

When the coach is dropped off at a dealer, they are responsible for it.

The "CCC" simply means, Care, Custody and Control.

They "ARE" in charge of the coach, therefore they "ARE" resposible for what may happen to it, sole exception being an act of God.

Insurance companies are well aware of the CCC.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Owning a Battery Shop for over 25 years, your situation is not all that unusual in my experience...

I see this from customers that have had their vehicles in a body shop - those Bondo Slingers almost always have the customer's radio blaring all day long!

Your situation is of course, one of just plain carelessness...the dummies forgot to insure your batteries were recharged after they worked on it...don't know if they played the stereo, but wouldn't be surprised...!

With the relative age of your batteries, you will be fine once they have been recharged fully...as suggested above, assuming your batteries were fully charged when you brought it in - ask the shop to make sure they are fully charged, and for piece of mind ask for load check due their carelessness...

Deep Cycle batteries are designed to be discharged & recharged hundreds of times - However, you should avoid deep discharge 'cycles' to insure the longest life of the batteries in years of service...

However, one discharge to the level you've noted won't harm the batteries to any detectable state - IF - they are recharged fully within a reasonable time period - like right away!

Having your batteries becoming discharged during extended storage periods is far more harmful, and will shorten their useful service life... and a visit to your battery shop for replacements...
Old 02-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Mexray...thanks for the info...love your phrase "Bondo Slingers". I will ask for a load test when I pick up.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #13
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
This sort of thing is all too common. I avoid leaving my trailer with the dealer for extended periods for service. There's lots that can go wrong if they have a project where they're "waiting to fit it in" when things are slow, and they usually don't discount the price paid for your time and trouble.

The dealer I use with makes it clear they won't leave shore power connected and won't be responsible for food in the fridge, etc. In practice they are pretty good if you work with the service manager and call them every few days.

You have lost some life from the batteries. How much, who knows. But they'll never be the same.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:01 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
OEM batteries usually aren't very good. Ours were cheapest available and died after about 12-18 months. In addition, even if accessories were NOT left on, batteries will usually go dead in about a month due to parasitic drains. If yours will recharge, then consider yourself lucky. Otherwise, the original batteries probably wouldn't have lasted much longer, anyway.

If they won't accept a charge and you need new batteries, get better quality replacements and install a marine battery isolator switch.

For more info, see link below:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ml#post1047933
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:09 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1988 Argosy 32
Lomita , California
Hi I wish that the name and location of (the dealer, shop) would be stated so that every one could steer clear of these no big deal bozos.
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:11 AM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
Hi I wish that the name and location of (the dealer, shop) would be stated so that every one could steer clear of these no big deal bozos.
Forums rules don't allow anything bad to be said about a dealer or vendor by name.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:14 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Forums rules don't allow anything bad to be said about a dealer or vendor by name.
The OP should call Jackson Center and give them a report. I'm sure the Mothership wants to know when there is a problem with a Dealership.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:33 AM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down Shinning Time......

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post

not "by name"......unless time has vaporized them....ahh yes.. "Shining Time Airstream" the best

RIP..

Bob
Old 02-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
May I make an obvious suggestion here. Remove the batteries and keep them on a charger/battery tender at home. The unit does not need 12 volt power to get mechanical repairs completed.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebee View Post
May I make an obvious suggestion here. Remove the batteries and keep them on a charger/battery tender at home. The unit does not need 12 volt power to get mechanical repairs completed.
I wish I would have thought of that 30 days ago...I was more concerned about the battery getting overcharged while hooked up under the service bay...this was actually discussed when I dropped it off. Unfortunately my trailer spent most of the time behind the service bay awaiting parts from Ohio...which take a full 5-6 working days for each delivery.