Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2017, 05:53 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I think I could get away with the GB 70 for jumping the Cummins batteries. That would be the main use for the purchase even though it has a micro and stand USB ports and an LED light. Its small enough to keep in a glove box. I could use it also to power my auxiliary water pump to pump water from a container to my trailer's water tank.

https://no.co/gb70

Kelvin
After seeing the review of the NOCO GB150 on "Love Your RV" youTube channel I decided to go with the GB150 via Amazon. The price was reduced a bit. Unit is still in transit.

Kelvin
Old 07-23-2017, 06:04 AM   #22
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
I also use mine booster pack to power the Viair Portable 450P Automatic air compressor. Works great and is more convent than opening the hood of my TV or the battery compartment of the AS. The battery pack will recharge while driving from the cigarette lighter outlet or with an adapter from 120v wall outlet.
That's a great idea. Which model do you have?
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:42 AM   #23
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Powerall Supreme Booster Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
That's a great idea. Which model do you have?
I use a Powerall Supreme 16,000 mAh. It has two USB charging ports and can be recharged from either the TV cigarette lighter outlet or from 120v outlet (with the supplied adapter.) To power the air compressor just use the 'jumper cables' and attach them to the alligator clips of the air compressor.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:27 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks Kelvin for your last reply.

Any new ideas on the lithium jump starters, everyone?

I have started another thread about the new generation of lithium battery tools, and would appreciate everyone's thoughts there too.

Seems like this new universe of lithium batteries could make our travels a lot more efficient in certain ways.

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- Then of course there are the new threads about towing with a Tesla X SUV, and EV's as tow vehicles. The future is here!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-x-160951.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...le-169483.html

Peter, where is the link to the lithium tool thread. I have many, as I have switched from gas lawn equipment to all lithium and love it.
Thx
Old 07-23-2017, 10:01 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
Peter, where is the link to the lithium tool thread. I have many, as I have switched from gas lawn equipment to all lithium and love it.
Thx
Whoops sorry 'bout that!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ls-170188.html

Look forward to your comments. Any experience with the Milwaukee M18 line which Ray mentioned over there?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:44 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
My experience with compact lithium jump starters is that they work great til they wont work at all.

Both of mine failed after a few months.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:23 PM   #27
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Use an old school jump starter for an alternate power supply application. Lasts three full days and still has power. However, it's big and a bit heavy.

So I purchased a Lithium jump starter (NOCO GB150). Looked like a great solution. Small and fits where needed, light weight and more like the solution I wanted. Well, it lasts about 5 hours in the primary application. An 8 hour minimum is required. In boondock mode, it recharges the cell phone twice. Significantly surprised at the minimal capacity.

So, my application is non-standard, but so far the lithium is not a good solution.

Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:34 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Hey Pat. Can you explain what you mean when you say it last 5 hours in the primary application? And an 8 hour minimum is required?

I’ve had mine for awhile , 6 months and it still holds almost full charge. Haven’t had to use it to jump start yet. I assume if it has almost full power it will work to jump start the Jeep. Thc
Old 10-23-2017, 08:37 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Hey Pat. Can you explain what you mean when you say it last 5 hours in the primary application? And an 8 hour minimum is required?

I’ve had mine for awhile , 6 months and it still holds almost full charge. Haven’t had to use it to jump start yet. I assume if it has almost full power it will work to jump start the Jeep. Thc

I think he was saying the charge lasts five hours running his devices, and it takes eight to recharge. While they work, they jumpstart very well even with a less than full charge. The things are kind of amazing, and then they stop working....

Old 10-23-2017, 08:56 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
So they just stop or fail, in what way? They won’t hold a charge or won’t deliver the Cranking amps?

Just wondering if I need to put the jumper cables back in the rig to be safe....
Old 10-23-2017, 08:59 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Lithium Jump Starters

Quote:
So they just stop or fail, in what way? They won’t hold a charge or won’t deliver the Cranking amps?

Just wondering if I need to put the jumper cables back in the rig to be safe....

The circuit boards failed in mine. They just become non-functional and worthless. They wouldn’t do anything. The batteries never faded, they just stopped working.

I would take the cables just in case.

Its too bad, I loved the things. They were super handy.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:34 PM   #32
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Hey Pat. Can you explain what you mean when you say it last 5 hours in the primary application? And an 8 hour minimum is required? -- snip --
Using it to power a rear view camera. Not enough amp hours for the application. It is designed to give high cranking amps for a very brief period. It is not designed to provide a small load for an extended period of time.

As an alternative use, I thought it might prove to be a backup power supply for the cell phone. It will recharge the phone about twice. Better than no backup, but again less than I expected.

Also, I suspect it killed the USB port on the entertainment compartment, as It is unlikely the phone did it in. If you need to recharge, use 120 volt outlet and a USB adapter.

So, a new Voyager system replaces the existing Rear View Safety system and gets wired directly to the clearance light circuit to eliminate the application.

Can't believe it will not start a Jeep. That's the application for which it is designed. Good on you!

Mine was almost a year old and held the initial charge for that period. So, no complaint on reliability, yet. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:54 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Thx Pat, this makes sense....
Old 10-24-2017, 04:34 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Years ago, AAA jump-started our car with one of these:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumache...arter/46167069

Cheap and reliable, so we bought one. Still works after six years.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:49 AM   #35
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Can't believe it will not start a Jeep. That's the application for which it is designed.
Jump starters have trouble jump starting any vehicle that has an RFID chip in the ignition key. Both my Honda and my Airstream Interstate have chipped keys, and my jump starter will not start either one of them right when I first hook it up.

The trick is, hook up the jump starter and turn it on, then let it sit for a few minutes. Then once it has transferred enough power to the vehicle battery to power the on-board electronics, THEN turn the key to start the engine.

Luckily when I travel in my Interstate, I'm usually towing my Honda behind the motorhome. So I leave the jump starter at home and take along a pair of jumper cables. As long as either vehicle will start, I can use it to jump-start the other one. But even with jumper cables, I have to hook up the cables, let the running engine recharge the dead battery for a few minutes to power the on-board electronics, and THEN try to start the dead vehicle's engine.

I've had to run through that exercise a few times since I've owned my Interstate, because my Viper alarm system will drain the chassis battery too low to start the van if I let the van sit for too long between uses.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:51 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
I have two Microstart XP-10s. I have jump started a diesel truck and a golf cart with it. I keep one in my wife's car in case she ever has a no start. During the hurricane we used it to support cell phone charging.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:47 PM   #37
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

We use two of these

DW has one in her 350GLK, it does have a ready light that will blink green after the M/B electronics have powered up.....have not had to use it in anger, yet.

Carry one in the Burb & use it to power the Bose speakers & radio in the boat.
First time out in the boat last Spring the boat in front of us was dead in the water.
Inboard 350 GM, 5min running the bilge blower, cranked 15seconds & fired up,
enough reserve left to power the radio & speakers for another 3hrs.

POI...a good solid connection is paramount!!

Big Diesels....no experience.

Bob
Old 10-25-2017, 07:49 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I have one that I got from Stark Power (they also sell lithium batteries). It is one of their larger models (15,000 mAh) and cost $100 on sale. I really like it. It has started my Golf numerous times when I leave the key in the ignition with the lights on. It comes in handy charging my iPad and cell phones.

I also use it to power my Endless Breeze 12v fan when I am tent camping. To do this I needed to get an adopter that plugs into the same receptacle as the jumper cables and has a 12v female connector that the fan can plug into. I got it from Amazon for $5.99.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0433.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	297707

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote