Old 12-15-2015, 01:27 PM   #15
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Mods, as the original poster can I have this thread closed, gotten off track.
Possibly true, but there is is good information here. If it's closed, please don't delete it.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:51 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB International
Springdale , Arkansas
Looks like even discussing these batteries can be incendiary.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Lithium batteries seem to be the topic

Bold said this…I guess to make a point

"I saw a youtube video of AGM's exploding. Thus all AGM batteries are dangerous.
See, not qualified, anecdotal and doesn't answer the original question really."

I went through hundreds of Youtube videos of batteries exploding. The majority were lithium batteries exploding. Not one was about AGMs exploding.

Appears to be qualified…..
Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters

Lew said, " ALL lithium cells, whether iron phosphate or manganese iron phosphate are considered hazardous material by ALL shippers. Haz-Mat training and approved packaging must be in place before any shipper will accept this tupelo material for shipping. AM Solar's batteries are waiting approval from UPS for their packaging and will be available for shipping as soon as they get the lab reports. Other lithium sources have already completed this process "

Which is the point I was trying to make. Yeah I get it now…there are different types of lithium batteries…just as there are different types of people with different opinions. It's my opinion that this forum would be better off with a little more respect for each other.

'
Old 12-15-2015, 03:34 PM   #18
Site Team

, Minnesota
I know that Lithium Silver Vanadium Oxide batteries will blow like a cherry bomb if you reverse the current. Imagine that happening to your implanted defibrlilator. We'd test them behind ballistic glass.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:53 PM   #19
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
Bold said this…I guess to make a point

"I saw a youtube video of AGM's exploding. Thus all AGM batteries are dangerous.
See, not qualified, anecdotal and doesn't answer the original question really."

Which is the point I was trying to make. Yeah I get it now…there are different types of lithium batteries…just as there are different types of people with different opinions. It's my opinion that this forum would be better off with a little more respect for each other.

'
Geez, I apparently suck at writing since you think I'm being blunt, and incendiary. That wasn't my intent. And you're right, sorry I did not see your post title about searching. But your first post wasn't clear to me.

Also, you clearly didn't understand the context of my statement when I said it wasn't qualified. That doesn't mean actual qualifications to discuss the topic.

I basically was stating that your statement did not add to the question. Google "To qualify a statement"

Maybe I should use simipler terms.

Really, it's a forum. Try not to take things so personally. I don't hold grudges after I read something.

Lew is clearly knowledgeable in what he is talking about. He clarified my misstatement about AMSolar's shipping, which could be taken out of context to mean they are unsafe. That is my error. And then I countered some of his points with my own. I don't think it's uncivil or being mean spirited. I think that's the point of discussion and debate. To share sides and points.

I don't actually sit here and get mad when I type replies. I think about the points, and what my reply to those points are. If you have an emotional response to my posts, well I'm sorry. I'll take that under advisement and think about how I can write better.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:19 PM   #20
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Nope, I used to qualify a statement wrong. So there is another error in my writing.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:03 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
I appreciate all of the information shared on this thread. It is difficult to fully stay on topic in all ways whether on a forum or sitting down in-person together. I view it as a conversation which to me means "give and take". I like listening, learning, and when applicable sharing.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Mods, as the original poster can I have this thread closed, gotten off track.
OP, before the mods close off this post, let me answer your original question. The answer is probably no. I am not 100% certain, but the hoverboards are likely using inexpensive lithium-ion technology batteries (the kind used in most toys and cordless power tools.) RV's use lithium-phosphate batteries which while currently still subject to shipping restrictions, have been shown in real life testing not to be subject to the kinds of fires caused by lithium-ion batteries. The reason I say that the hoverboards probably do not use the same lithiums as RVs is that lithium-phosphate batteries are very expensive and not likely to be used in a cheap consumer product while lithium-ion batteries are fairly inexpensive and thus more likely to be used in the hoverboards. You can Google the subject of lithium-ion vs. lithium-phosphate battery safety "in the real world" (vs. on this forum) and get some sound information about the difference and their relative safety.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:23 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
excellent discussion!! It is great to get the different perspectives from those of you that have a significant amount of real experience in moving to the Lithium world. With this ongoing excellent discussion. I am confident by the time I decide and can afford to revamp my system with Lithium, I will be confident that there will be many mistakes I will not make because of this forum. Thanks
Old 12-15-2015, 07:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaier7771 View Post
excellent discussion!! It is great to get the different perspectives from those of you that have a significant amount of real experience in moving to the Lithium world. With this ongoing excellent discussion. I am confident by the time I decide and can afford to revamp my system with Lithium, I will be confident that there will be many mistakes I will not make because of this forum. Thanks
If your time frame for a LiFP switch is 12 to 24 months out, I'm sure that the pricing will decrease and the supporting technology will have evolved to some degree. LiFPs are currently the batteries of choice in the EV world (e.g., Tesla) and a lot of money is being spent on R&D. Only good things can come from these efforts and the RV world will be the beneficiary.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:43 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Ya know, Mike, I think in real life we would be close friends

Communication is less than organic on the internet. So unless you try to be clear…you won't be.

I could say, " Let me explain what I mean ". or I could say " Let me put it in terms that someone like you will be able to understand ".

*A monologue needs just one mouth

*A discussion needs two people and four ears

*An argument involves winning and loosing

*A fight involves pain

*A war requires politicians, money, and sometimes a religion

Oh heck… I just wrote a MEME…..now I hate myself.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:16 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
You two might consider taking your conversation offline with PMs since it has absolutely nothing remotely to do with the topic or the post.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:17 PM   #27
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Fire is a concern. There were approximately 20 incidents of a lithium based battery fire in the approximately 120,000 vehicles so equipped by the end of 2013 (latest summary data I could find from the HTSA). By comparison, there is a fire in a car powered by an internal combustion engine vehicle every four minutes or so. Worry more about having a fire extinguisher handy in your TV as the statistics give that experience a higher rate of occurrence.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:21 PM   #28
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
AM Solar's proprietary battery monitor system is manually resettable with visual warnings of a solenoid disconnect, a feature others don't offer. Their design for lithium batteries was done specifically for the RV user, not folks in the EV field that want to as much battery data as possible for proper operation of their vehicles.
Can I get a clarification here, is AMSolar now using their own BMS or are they still sourcing from Clean Power Auto's HouseBMS and sense boards?

https://minibms.mybigcommerce.com/

https://minibms.mybigcommerce.com/pr...Power-BMS.html

I've been under the impression that AMSolar just packages kits and doesn't actually make anything. I'd like to clear up this misconception if I'm wrong so I don't repeat it.