Old 08-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Actually, it is not a problem. The car LI batts (I speak for GM only) are good for about 10 years give or take, dependant on many owner/environmental variables. (they're warranted for 8). But at that "end of life" they're not done. They are just no longer suitable for the duty cycle of automotive demands.

These batteries have an estimated additional 20 years of life as a backup energy source. Two markets are emerging for used auto batts. Individuals are looking for them for personal solar/wind energy storage systems. And power companies are looking for them to create "neighborhood" backup energy storage stations which will help level out peak usage time draws on the generation source.

After an estimated 30 YEARS of use, they are recyclable, for the most part.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #16
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
"FUD" What's that? Not familiar with that acronym. I can guess what the FU means, but the D?.
It stands for "Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt".
There are a couple of people on this forum, and of gcourse people on other forums, that take advantage of FUD to promote their own ideas and businesses.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Actually, it is not a problem. The car LI batts (I speak for GM only) are good for about 10 years give or take, dependant on many owner/environmental variables. (they're warranted for 8). But at that "end of life" they're not done. They are just no longer suitable for the duty cycle of automotive demands.

These batteries have an estimated additional 20 years of life as a backup energy source. Two markets are emerging for used auto batts. Individuals are looking for them for personal solar/wind energy storage systems. And power companies are looking for them to create "neighborhood" backup energy storage stations which will help level out peak usage time draws on the generation source.

After an estimated 30 YEARS of use, they are recyclable, for the most part.
Cool.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Some Nascar teams have switched to lithium batteries that weigh 6 pounds.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #19

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Some Nascar teams have switched to lithium batteries that weigh 6 pounds.
I'm sure those are starting batteries, not house batteries. Not at all the same thing. I wouldn't mind having a 6-pound starting battery in my SUV, though.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 08-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I'm sure those are starting batteries, not house batteries. Not at all the same thing. I wouldn't mind having a 6-pound starting battery in my SUV, though.
Not sure if that makes a difference with lithium batteries, but they do use 2 separate batteries to run the car from in case the alternator quits.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #21

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Not sure if that makes a difference with lithium batteries, but they do use 2 separate batteries to run the car from in case the alternator quits.
It doesn't make a difference for lithium-ion batteries if you drain them fast (starting) or slow (house). I said they were starting batteries based on size. For lithium batteries there is a direct correllation between available amp-hours and battery weight (you can't finesse chemistry), and even two 6-pound batteries won't have the amp-hours to run much for long. Remember, in Nascar, if the alternator goes out and they start running on batteries alone, they can make a pit stop during the race to swap out batteries much easier than they can replace an alternator, so the batteries only have to last until the next pit stop.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 08-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Your right the 6lb battery probably wont last long, but a 25 or 28lb battery is 100 AH and $1299.99 (they list 2 different weights 28lbs might be shipping weight). Also 150 AH is 80lbs and $1699.99 or if you can afford it a 200 AH battery is 70.4lbs and $2299.99.

Lithium Marine Batteries
Old 08-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Clean-Tech Diesel is far superior too these Hybrid vehicles...

Oops - off topic...
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #24

2012 Interstate Coach
The thread has morphed anyway. It was originally about the availability of lithium-ion house batteries at a reasonable cost, not about electric or hybrid cars.

I think we've established that lithium-ion batteries with enough amp-hours are available, but the price is still unreasonable in terms of dollars per amp-hour capacity. Though if you count the increased number of recharge cycles over an AGM and the relative ease of recycling, the life-cycle cost of lithium-ion may soon be competitive in terms of dollars per year of use.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4